Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "Harrison hates Steelers now"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm rooting for Worilds to set the all time NFL sack record this year and make us all forget. Then everyone will be complaining that Jarvy was a wasted draft pick if that happens. Guess there's always something to complain about

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post

didnt harrision walk away from the steelers and didnt the steelers have enoughn faith in harrision that they offered harrsion a much larger deal than the bungals gave him?
    Harrison was under contract and did not agree to a salary reduction and was subsequently released.
    Since the Bengals ARE paying less yes it was a mistake on Harrison's part true.

His market value is based on the concern that he is a declining injury prone player. But if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market. JH would have proven to be worth MORE than the market valued him. If this happen it would indeed have been a "rare error in judgement" since the team and indeed THE LEAGUE expected LESS from him

THAT is what is meant here.

If you were JH YOU would want to make that same point.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-30-2013 at 07:24 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

well, IF harrison was allowed to play at his contract price then the steelers WOULD have had to release another player or two for cap reasons and IF those released players went on and become good/great players for another team at a cheaper price than the steelers would have LET THEM WALK and made a couple RARE Errors in judgment.
    IF harrison produces better than his 2 million salary than there would be 30 other teams in the league that made a mistake by not signing him.
    bottom line is NOBODY in the entire NFL thought harrison was worth more than 2 million except the steelers. if james wants to make a point, maybe he should be mad at the other 30 teams that offered him nothing

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Harrison was under contract and did not agree to a salary reduction and was subsequently released.
    Since the Bengals ARE paying less yes it was a mistake on Harrison's part true.

His market value is based on the concern that he is a declining injury prone player. But if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market. JH would have proven to be worth MORE than the market valued him. If this happen it would indeed have been a "rare error in judgement" since the team and indeed THE LEAGUE expected LESS from him

THAT is what is meant here.

If you were JH YOU would want to make that same point.
    Gotta also consider how his replacement performs. Even if Harrison plays at an All Pro level, if Worilds turns up a good season, it's not necessarily a bad decision. Or you can also look at what else would we have had to give up? Would we have had to let Ike go? Someone else?

It's just a complex math problem with no correct answer. Even if Harrison performs, it could be the right decision. If he doesn't it could have been the wrong decision because he may have still performed better for us had he stayed.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm rooting for Worilds to set the all time NFL sack record this year and make us all forget. Then everyone will be complaining that Jarvy was a wasted draft pick if that happens. Guess there's always something to complain about
    Personally, I think they are better off going with Jones starting and Worlids backing up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Gotta also consider how his replacement performs. Even if Harrison plays at an All Pro level, if Worilds turns up a good season, it's not necessarily a bad decision. Or you can also look at what else would we have had to give up? Would we have had to let Ike go? Someone else?

It's just a complex math problem with no correct answer. Even if Harrison performs, it could be the right decision. If he doesn't it could have been the wrong decision because he may have still performed better for us had he stayed.
    Thus my line:
    "if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market."

I am only discussing regrets if they struggle. If his replacements are as good or even close to being as good as JH I agree there would be no there is no regretting letting JH go.

Again we are discussing JH point of view not predicting anything.
    JH would love for us to "regret letting him go. Some are saying there is no regretting letting him go because the market says so.
    I am pointing out a scenario where we "might" regret letting him go regardless his market value.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    IF harrison produces better than his 2 million salary than there would be 30 other teams in the league that made a mistake by not signing him.
    bottom line is NOBODY in the entire NFL thought harrison was worth more than 2 million except the steelers. if james wants to make a point, maybe he should be mad at the other 30 teams that offered him nothing
    James has made a CAREER of making the rest of the league regret undervaluing him.
    He was a free agent avaiable to everyone thrice.

He had a deal with the Steelers and we (not the rest of the league) reneged on it.
    It is only natural if he has something special to prove to us.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Thus my line:
    "if Harrison is a dominant force, say 1st team "AllPro" and his replacements struggle and the Bengals are clearly better in large part because of JH, it WOULD have been a mistake on the part of the Steelers regardless the market."

I am only discussing regrets if they struggle. If his replacements are as good or even close to being as good as JH I agree there would be no there is no regretting letting JH go.

Again we are discussing JH point of view not predicting anything.
    JH would love for us to "regret letting him go. Some are saying there is no regretting letting him go because the market says so.
    I am pointing out a scenario where we "might" regret letting him go regardless his market value.
    Harrison will not be as successful in the Bumgal 4-3 defense as he was in a 3-4. Letting go an injury prone 35 year old is never a bad decision.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison will not be as successful in the Bumgal 4-3 defense as he was in a 3-4. Letting go an injury prone 35 year old is never a bad decision.
    Agreed on the part about the Bengal D. Good point.

But NEVER A BAD DECISION? REALLY? You must be a fan of the Landry pick since you are not for extending Ben much beyond his current deal
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-02-2013 at 01:45 PM.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe replacing Harrison not daunting for Steelers, after all

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones leans on a blocking dummy as he listens to coaches during the first day of their NFL football minicamp on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — Jason Worilds is not James Harrison. Neither is Jarvis Jones, Chris Carter or anybody else the Steelers decide to put at right outside linebacker this season.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler doesn’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. What Harrison’s potential replacements lack in snarl they make up for in options.

“I’ve never had a situation like this where I can play three different guys and have confidence in all of them that they’re going to be pretty good,” Butler said Wednesday.

They’ll have to be if they want to take the field for a team that perennially sends out one of the best defenses in the NFL. While Butler cautioned it’s way too early to figure out the depth chart, he’s confident the dropoff without Harrison won’t be significant.

“We’ve got some guys who can play,” Butler said.

And it may take using Worilds, Carter and Jones to fill in for Harrison. Worilds finished with five sacks in spot duty last season. Jones, taken 17th in the draft, led the nation in sacks last fall while playing for Georgia. Carter, when healthy, might be the best of the three in pass coverage.

Though Jones is considered the future, Carter and Worilds understand there’s a chance in the present to make an impact. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s defense can be difficult to pick up for young players no matter how talented they are.

Worilds and Carter have paid their dues in that fashion and they know it’s time for them to start producing.

The 25-year-old Worilds spent his first three seasons bouncing between the right side and left side. There are no such issues now, allowing him to get comfortable for the first time.

“The main thing for me this year is to finally have a home,” Worilds said. “In the past, I’ve worked at both sides, and I never knew from one day to the next where I would play. This year, I’ve worked almost exclusively on the right side, and having that craft to hone has really helped me out.”

Worilds will likely need to settle in quickly if he wants to hold off Jones. He played well at times while filling in as Harrison recovered from lingering knee issues last fall and picked up two sacks in a loss to Cleveland. The way Worilds looks at it, the more reps he gets, the better his chances of sticking around.

“I’ve always been the type of player where I learn better if I can go through it,” he said.

The Steelers finished No. 1 in total defense in 2012 but were a middling 15th in sacks.

Generating more pressure — and hopefully creating more turnovers in the process — has been a point of emphasis during the offseason. Though LeBeau commands his players to be versatile, there’s little doubt the best way to stay at the top of the depth chart is getting into the backfield and creating havoc.

Chaos happened to be Jones’ specialty at Georgia, where his 14.5 sacks were the most in the nation last fall. He has proven better than advertised covering running backs and tight ends, leading Butler to joke Jones is Pittsburgh’s “shutdown linebacker.”

That’s not why the Steelers spent a first-round pick on Jones, though. And while LeBeau allows Jones will be a “pretty good player” if the coaches don’t “mess him up” there’s also no big rush to get him on the field. Jones was able to freelance at Georgia, relying on his talent to cover up mistakes. That won’t be tolerated in the NFL.

“He doesn’t exactly know what we require from him,” Butler said. “It’s not like in college, even though he played outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. It doesn’t mean he can be plugged right in.”

Jones is hardly lagging behind. The transition is just that difficult, something Carter and Worilds know all too well.

“Nobody comes in here and picks things up right away,” Carter said. “That’s just how it is. You look at Jason Worilds, even James Harrison. He didn’t get going right away, but look at how he developed.”

Carter is spending most of his time on the left side behind LaMarr Woodley but remains an option on the right side in certain situations. And even with Harrison gone, Carter believes the overall depth has improved.

“I also think we have a better linebacker corps this year, as the younger guys got more experience, and with who they brought in,” Carter said. “So, that’s a good thing for the team. That gives us a lot of weapons on defense, and we need all we can get to win a championship.”

Something that tends to happen with regularity in Pittsburgh. The echoes of the Steel Curtain defense that won four titles in the 1970s still resonate. Worilds, in fact, wore a t-shirt honoring one of the NFL’s all-time defenses on Wednesday.

“They were the best,” Worilds said, “and I want this defense to be the best.”

[URL]http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/maybe-replacing-harrison-not-daunting-for-steelers-after-all/article_89727dd5-3bfa-58ef-9a41-de8bbf663157.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha