Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Roethlisberger-leading-the-way-at-workouts/1b4494fc-b8cf-47cf-9fed-e167bb5c05c1[/URL]

And so it begins...

This is good to see!

Legend

User Info Menu

For some reason this story sounded a little manufactured. I love Ben and he's probably the toughest SOB in the history of the game. But he just doesnt seem like a natural leader. But because of the crazy offseason, the Steelers seem to be forcing him on this.

We have a lot of solid characters in the lockerroom. But I just don't think we have guys with much charisma aside from Foote and Clark.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We have a lot of solid characters in the lockerroom. But I just don't think we have guys with much charisma aside from Foote and Clark.
    I agree, we don't really have any natural leaders on the offensive side of the ball now that Hines Ward is retired. guys like Ben and Pouncey are reportedly trying to step up and fill the void, hopefully they will be able to.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, we don't really have any natural leaders on the offensive side of the ball now that Hines Ward is retired. guys like Ben and Pouncey are reportedly trying to step up and fill the void, hopefully they will be able to.
    I appreciate the effort, but I think these guys have as good a shot of being leaders as Heath or DeCastro. I don't think they can help it. I think it might take Brown or Sanders stepping up on O.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben - “It’s important for us to know if we want to be the best we can be it starts now" - this is clearly Ben's way of stabbing Haley in the back and showing how he doesn't have confidence in him!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you don't believe that leaders can be made, you haven't read John Maxwell. Some guys have natural charisma that makes them leaders. Others find ways to lead and become greater than those with natural ability. I don't see how this seems in any way contrived or manufactured. Ben is out there with the young guys and everyone knows he doesn't have to be. He could be out playing golf or enjoying more time with his young family, but he is with his guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I shudder to think of Pouncey as a leader. The two guys he had ties to were Gilbert and Rainey. Gilbert has preparation/training issues and Rainey had all sorts of issues. I just don't see Pouncey as an effective leader at all.

I don't know how vocal he is, but Heath provides the perfect example. No asinine antics, no running his mouth - he just does his job. Ben is the one who, by virtue of his position, should step up and really lead the offense.

Even if this is a fluff piece, it's nice to read a positive offeason article about Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reading this forum lately is like watching a soap opera.
    It's funny how you think you know what goes on in the locker room because you watch 16 games and read a few articles.
    Some of you make me laugh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is great to see, I'm glad Ben is starting this season off in the right way. I would think every team needs "lead by example" types and vocal types. I hope Ben keeps this up, this would be a great way to head into TC and preseason.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    This is great to see, I'm glad Ben is starting this season off in the right way. I would think every team needs "lead by example" types and vocal types. I hope Ben keeps this up, this would be a great way to head into TC and preseason.
    Ben never had to be a vocal leader before, because Ward and Farrior were always there. When Hines and Potsie retired, guys like Clark and Foote stepped up as vocal leaders, while others like Troy and Heath were more "lead by example" types. It's okay for your veteran strong safety or veteran tight end to lead by example instead of being vocal leaders, but it's important for your quarterback to become a vocal leader now that he's a veteran. Glad to see him stepping up to the plate.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.