Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

Hybrid View

Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-e167bb5c05c1

And so it begins...

This is good to see!

Legend
    For some reason this story sounded a little manufactured. I love Ben and he's probably the toughest SOB in the history of the game. But he just doesnt seem like a natural leader. But because of the crazy offseason, the Steelers seem to be forcing him on this.

We have a lot of solid characters in the lockerroom. But I just don't think we have guys with much charisma aside from Foote and Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We have a lot of solid characters in the lockerroom. But I just don't think we have guys with much charisma aside from Foote and Clark.
    I agree, we don't really have any natural leaders on the offensive side of the ball now that Hines Ward is retired. guys like Ben and Pouncey are reportedly trying to step up and fill the void, hopefully they will be able to.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, we don't really have any natural leaders on the offensive side of the ball now that Hines Ward is retired. guys like Ben and Pouncey are reportedly trying to step up and fill the void, hopefully they will be able to.
    I appreciate the effort, but I think these guys have as good a shot of being leaders as Heath or DeCastro. I don't think they can help it. I think it might take Brown or Sanders stepping up on O.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I shudder to think of Pouncey as a leader. The two guys he had ties to were Gilbert and Rainey. Gilbert has preparation/training issues and Rainey had all sorts of issues. I just don't see Pouncey as an effective leader at all.

I don't know how vocal he is, but Heath provides the perfect example. No asinine antics, no running his mouth - he just does his job. Ben is the one who, by virtue of his position, should step up and really lead the offense.

Even if this is a fluff piece, it's nice to read a positive offeason article about Ben.

Pro Bowler
    Ben - “It’s important for us to know if we want to be the best we can be it starts now" - this is clearly Ben's way of stabbing Haley in the back and showing how he doesn't have confidence in him!

Backup
    Ummm...WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Ben - Its important for us to know if we want to be the best we can be it starts now" - this is clearly Ben's way of stabbing Haley in the back and showing how he doesn't have confidence in him!

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Ummm...WTF???
    I may be wrong, but I figured the OP was just being funny in the same way that everything that Ben says is somehow interpreted as him trying to take a shot at Haley, so this must be construed that way as well. Perhaps it was just an emoticon away from us realizing that.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I may be wrong, but I figured the OP was just being funny in the same way that everything that Ben says is somehow interpreted as him trying to take a shot at Haley, so this must be construed that way as well. Perhaps it was just an emoticon away from us realizing that.
    I figured the same.

This whole thing isn't as big a stretch as some make it out to be. Ben has long been the biggest supporter/leader of the Oline. Going so far as to state on the podium while holding the Lombardi "who's laughing now Oline?" So that is 5 guys who already follow him. Heath doesn't seem like the type who require much maintenance, so that is 6. As far as receivers go, whoever gets the ball loves the QB, whoever doesn't won't like the QB. The bigger issue in my mind would be the separation between O and D, and I don't hear much about that.