Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger leading the way at workouts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Ben never had to be a vocal leader before, because Ward and Farrior were always there. When Hines and Potsie retired, guys like Clark and Foote stepped up as vocal leaders, while others like Troy and Heath were more "lead by example" types. It's okay for your veteran strong safety or veteran tight end to lead by example instead of being vocal leaders, but it's important for your quarterback to become a vocal leader now that he's a veteran. Glad to see him stepping up to the plate.
    I kinda think it's hard for Ben to be a vocal leader. He can definitely inspire with his play and toughness. But what's he supposed to say to guys? Whatever won't sound authentic. Ben makes his best plays when stuff breaks down and when he's not on the same page as the coaches. So the things he's gotta say to guys are not the same way he plays. It's different for a Farrior or Ward who have to work hard and do little things better than everyone else.

But guys like Ben and Troy too play so far on their own level that I'm not sure they can connect with the other guys no matter how perfectly they try.

It's the same for almost all sports. The truly great ones don't always connect with the other players because they're set apart. And then you have the whole angle of the media promoting the star/me first players and you never really hear positive encouragement toward leadership. For example, Lebron James used to get blasted for sharing the basketball with his teammates at the end of games trying to set up the best shot and being unselfish. He's not the normal star player though.

Lebron's got a Sidney Crosby type thing going on where you can just see how much he loves the game he plays. I think Crosby is the exception to this rule. The kid's the perfect leader. The kid's got passion and excitement like the sport is a game. He's the best player on the ice from a pure skill perspective, but then he also hustles more than any hockey player I've ever seen. His style of play is contagious. And then you can tell everyone genuinely loves the kid. And everyone wants to play with him.

Maybe the Rooney's should have adopted Ben and had him live with them early in his career like Mario did for Sid.

There's just something missing with Ben. For some reason, he's just not one of the guys. He is the guy. But in contrast, even though Sid is the guy, he's turned himself into one of the guys. I guess all I'm trying to say is Ben needs to become a hockey fan and learn from the kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There's just something missing with Ben. For some reason, he's just not one of the guys. He is the guy. But in contrast, even though Sid is the guy, he's turned himself into one of the guys. I guess all I'm trying to say is Ben needs to become a hockey fan and learn from the kid.
    I wanna see the dryer from Ben's childhood home...if there are no dents from him trying to throw footballs into it as a kid, we should cut him. Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

I wanna see the dryer from Ben's childhood home...if there are no dents from him trying to throw footballs into it as a kid, we should cut him. Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month.
    Or how often he consistently threw 65-yard bombs through the neighbors' tire swing while blindfolded… in the freezing rain and snow.

Legend

User Info Menu

I can see it now, Ben asks his dad to open the window and the dryer and he runs down the street to throw a football through the window into the dryer putting the dents in the siding of the house.

Ngata re-arranging his nose was Ben's Brooks moment.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Or maybe we could just have Brooks Orpik fire a puck into Ben's face, forcing him to ingest only smoothies for a month.
    Dont remind me, hope he's ready for the playoffs at some point. They're up 5-2 right now
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Dont remind me, hope he's ready for the playoffs at some point. They're up 5-2 right now
    Ray Shero seems willing to sign anyone with talent no matter their age. Maybe he could sign Deebo as an enforcer?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ray Shero seems willing to sign anyone with talent no matter their age. Maybe he could sign Deebo as an enforcer?
    I remember going to Giant Eagle and buying Kasparaitis Kruncher pickles what would they have in mind....Deebo deviled eggs?
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

I remember going to Giant Eagle and buying Kasparaitis Kruncher pickles what would they have in mind....Deebo deviled eggs?
    This is the stuff I miss not being in Pittsburgh. Do they have any other products with any current players? I saw a Heath Chocolate Bar one time I was visiting a while back.

Seems it would be easy enough to have to Le'Tang' Drink Mix.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is the stuff I miss not being in Pittsburgh. Do they have any other products with any current players? I saw a Heath Chocolate Bar one time I was visiting a while back.

Seems it would be easy enough to have to Le'Tang' Drink Mix.
    I know, what's next... "Flower" condoms -- We're at our best when the shooter goes five hole"
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

I know, what's next... "Flower" condoms -- We're at our best when the shooter goes five hole"
    I can't believe its not Sutter

Jussi Juice

Geno - Sprinkle a little Geno on your meal to prevent gas

I better stop, I could easily go off on a tangent....