Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers reasoning for letting Lewis go...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I did a little research and was able to pull this thread back up from the spring 2013... very interesting to see how this has unfolded... with Ike's play falling off...and Lewis emerging as a solid corner with another team..

My username then was "Big Ern McCracken" by the way... in case you were wondering what my opinion was back then.
    Good one! Clearly my opinion on Ike and Lewis hasn't changed since this thread.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yea... I read your posts steelz. Right on the money my man.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm still frustrated over Lewis... I know people said he was homesick but usually people are homesick when they arent feeling the love in a new city.

I think the reason it still stings is because its obvious he has talent... big time talent. I'm pretty sure we would have seen his talent earlier if we didnt bench him in the preseason.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-12-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wonder who made the call to keep Ike over Lewis
    Tomlin
    Colbert
    LeBeau
    Lake
    My guess is LeBeau with his love for veterans, whoever made it what a bad decision. And it's more about the bad play of Ike, age and financial rather than the play of Lewis. Hopefully we want let Worilds walk over Woodley.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder who made the decision to bench Lewis after he lost his cool in a preseason game. I repeat...PRESEASON. Thanks Tomlib..lol.

As far as depth chart and such... I blame FO, Lebeau, Tomlin. I dont blame Lake at all and Lewis credited Lake with helping his development.

Its a shame that the Saints called Lewis and said he was their #1 FA. No need for new suit (he was going to buy one) just show up because they were sold already. I wish we were sold on him instead of some of our older vets.

Maybe Lewis walks regardless but an offer on our end would show that WE valued his services.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still don't think it was a mistake

Or, let me correct that. Lewis is clearly the better player at this point. But the FO had to make a tough choice because of the cap-strapped nature. It is similar to this year's situation, where they have a young, ascending player (Worilds), and a "older", expensive veteran (Woodley). The question, is whether they stick to their guns (do the same thing), or change course (sign the young guy).

I think they should stick to their guns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Or, let me correct that. Lewis is clearly the better player at this point. But the FO had to make a tough choice because of the cap-strapped nature. It is similar to this year's situation, where they have a young, ascending player (Worilds), and a "older", expensive veteran (Woodley). The question, is whether they stick to their guns (do the same thing), or change course (sign the young guy).

I think they should stick to their guns.

I wish I could agree with you shoe. I think the "Sticking to guns theory" is part of the problem. Woodley got his fat contract and hasn't lived up to it. Worilds "An ascending player" as you put it.. is younger, and deserving of a shot.

We are going to have to make some aggressive moves in order to get back where we need to be...with some luck undoubtedly..and I'm afraid the "Same old" is going to give us just that... 8 and 8's into the forseeable future.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm still frustrated over Lewis... I know people said he was homesick but usually people are homesick when they arent feeling the love in a new city.

I think the reason it still stings is because its obvious he has talent... big time talent. I'm pretty sure we would have seen his talent earlier if we didnt bench him in the preseason.
    When is anybody going to put the accountability for that on Lewis? He got his opportunity, and instead of taking advantage of it, he blew it and threw a temper tantrum. So the Steelers put Lewis, who had showed nothing to that point, back on the bench. He turned out better than anybody thought he would, but I still think that was the right decision.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think he turned out better than anybody thought he would... that's why you see some upset members posting in these forums.. what I do see is a lot of folks saying "I told you so"... and are able to back it up with posts that we made at this time last year..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    When is anybody going to put the accountability for that on Lewis? He got his opportunity, and instead of taking advantage of it, he blew it and threw a temper tantrum. So the Steelers put Lewis, who had showed nothing to that point, back on the bench. He turned out better than anybody thought he would, but I still think that was the right decision.
    He threw a temper tantrum... its football, it happens.

There are probably a thousand snaps in a season.