Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watching the 9ers, Seahawks, Panthers' D......

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Watching the 9ers, Seahawks, Panthers' D......

....makes me really realize how the Steelers' D is just not in the class of the top Ds out there.

We really do look slow by comparison.

Those Ds contest virtually everything. Almost every pass, they have defenders all around the receiver, making simple completions very arduous. All of those Ds are wicked. We just aren't in their class anymore. Not even close. The speed and hitting is far beyond what they Steelers were this year.

The solution? I say new blood, including putting our 75-year-old DC to pasture. Nothing lasts forever. And men in their mid 70's should not be filling such a big time role. He should be growing a garden, smelling the roses and chilling out. We need new blood both in players and coaches. We need some youth added to the secondary, LBs (please tell me Foote won't be back) and DL. They better draft the crap out of this draft.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Just give me a top 5 defense and a good running game. Heck with the NFL being an all passing league. I don't like the 30+ point shootouts that the league has become. Its a formula that has worked in the past.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Disagree 110%. LeBeau is the best DC out there. I don't care how old he is. There are 80 something CEO's out there running multi billion dollar companies and they are just as or even more efficient as your 40 somethings.....You think letting a younger Butler run the defense will automatically make the players run faster and quicker?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Disagree 110%. LeBeau is the best DC out there. I don't care how old he is. There are 80 something CEO's out there running multi billion dollar companies and they are just as or even more efficient as your 40 somethings.....You think letting a younger Butler run the defense will automatically make the players run faster and quicker?
    First of all, 80-something CEOs doing the job better than the 40-something year old counterparts is the exception, not the rule. You know that. 80-year-olds tend to lose energy, or not have any to begin with. It's a biological fact. Is an 80-year-old going to put in 12-hour work days? Highly doubtful. Not without naps.

Secondly, part of why we don't have younger legs out there is Leboo's ridiculous policy of not letting younger players see the field. Other teams, like the 49ers, Seahawks and Panthers, ALL find ways to get younger players on the field and producing. Did stud defenders, such as Luke Kuechly, Patrick Willis, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Bowman, Eric Reid, etc. have to wait 3-4 years before seeing the field? Hellz to the nos. Not finding a way to get young studs on the field is killing this team. The proof is in the pudding. Steelers were a pedestian 13th in D (19th in scoring D). All those 3 teams were in the top 5. Our offense was good enough to win if we didn't have a slow, weak D.

Starter

User Info Menu

Something we're seeing so far in the playoffs makes me wonder if the league has really become a passing league--so far, the team that wins the battle of the LOS, makes some key D stops when they need it, and runs the ball effectively wins. Seems to be the same formula we've had for years in the NFL for winning in the playoffs. If we get better on both lines we'll be winning again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    ....makes me really realize how the Steelers' D is just not in the class of the top Ds out there.

We really do look slow by comparison.

Those Ds contest virtually everything. Almost every pass, they have defenders all around the receiver, making simple completions very arduous. All of those Ds are wicked. We just aren't in their class anymore. Not even close. The speed and hitting is far beyond what they Steelers were this year.

The solution? I say new blood, including putting our 75-year-old DC to pasture. Nothing lasts forever. And men in their mid 70's should not be filling such a big time role. He should be growing a garden, smelling the roses and chilling out. We need new blood both in players and coaches. We need some youth added to the secondary, LBs (please tell me Foote won't be back) and DL. They better draft the crap out of this draft.
    How does a new coach make our guys as fast as those defenses?
    Dumping aging veterans only works if you have TALENT waiting in the wings.
    Please share SPECIFICALLY what young talent on this team will turn us into a top defense?

This season for example we replaced an aging vet for a hot shot first round rookie at right OLB. The result?
    Jones had ONE SIXTH the number of sacks as an aging, slowing Harrison and half the tackles. Our defense WAS better last year.

The Niners and Seahawks have out drafted us, plain and simple.

Do you really think the coordinators are the difference between those defenses and ours?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-15-2014 at 10:18 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    How does a new coach make our guys as fast as those defenses?
    Dumping aging veterans only works if you have TALENT waiting in the wings.
    Please share SPECIFICALLY what young talent on this team will turn us into a top defense?

This season for example we replaced an aging vet for a hot shot first round rookie at right OLB. The result?
    Jones had ONE SIXTH the number of sacks as an aging, slowing Harrison and half the tackles. Our defense WAS better last year.

The Niners and Seahawks have out drafted us, plain and simple.

Do you really think the coordinators are the difference between those defenses and ours?
    I already explained this. Being in a system not allowing young guys on the field is the beginning of the problem. We don't even know if we have a good player on the roster until his final year of his contract in many cases (Lewis, Worilds).

Rookie

User Info Menu

LeBeau IS the exception...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post

Most 80 year old CEOs DO NOT deal with the day to day running and details of a company and the work schedule and stress that entails. Most handle media and investor relations and chair board meetings.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think what's made those D's good is YEARS of being bad teams and YEARS of top talent draft picks as a result. The Steelers picking inside the TOP 15 in the draft is something that seldom happens. Certainly the coaching has something to do with it, but those teams have a lot of years of top picks and that helps A LOT.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION