Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers reasoning for letting Lewis go...

Legend

User Info Menu

I think keeping Ike says the Steelers still want to win now. Lewis had one decent season after looking horrible up until that point. So maybe the Steelers think he'll be eaten alive covering #1 WRs. Lewis surprised me. I thought he might actually get cut last season.

Long term, Cortez is the best corner on the team hands down. And maybe the Steelers want to keep Ike so they can bring along Cortez slowly. CBs a position about confidence, so I see no problem giving Cortez a runway to confidence. And who better to learn from. Ike may have the worst hands and ball awareness, but he covers as well as anyone and is probably the best tackling corner in the game.

Plus the Steelers have a leadership problem. And Ike's one of the best guys on the team. I know a lot of guys work hard, but I suspect Ike's the real hardest working player on the team. He always shows up in mid season form to start training camp. And he's always inviting other guys to work out with him. If he could get Woodley, Dwyer, etc working out with him, we'd be golden.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    For a 4th rd draft choice, Ike has FAR exceeded expectations. In 8 seasons of starting, Ike has played in 15 or more games in 6 of those. I go with the guy that has been there, done it consistently year after year. Ike still has something in the tank and the FO knows it.
    Never said that he didn't exceed expectations. My point is that the Steelers made a dumb FO decision for the future of this team. Ike might have "something" left in the tank. Is that "something" worth 9.5 million this year and 10.5 million next year? Hell No. In Ike's best years, he wasn't worth that type of money. He certainly isn't worth that money now either.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think keeping Ike says the Steelers still want to win now. Lewis had one decent season after looking horrible up until that point. So maybe the Steelers think he'll be eaten alive covering #1 WRs. Lewis surprised me. I thought he might actually get cut last season.

Long term, Cortez is the best corner on the team hands down. And maybe the Steelers want to keep Ike so they can bring along Cortez slowly. CBs a position about confidence, so I see no problem giving Cortez a runway to confidence. And who better to learn from. Ike may have the worst hands and ball awareness, but he covers as well as anyone and is probably the best tackling corner in the game.

Plus the Steelers have a leadership problem. And Ike's one of the best guys on the team. I know a lot of guys work hard, but I suspect Ike's the real hardest working player on the team. He always shows up in mid season form to start training camp. And he's always inviting other guys to work out with him. If he could get Woodley, Dwyer, etc working out with him, we'd be golden.
    Ok.. so whats wrong with Allen as the future #1 and Lewis as the future #2? It was a stupid FO move. If I was a Rooney, I would have already fired whoever was in charge of that decision.

And defense isn't the one lacking leadership.... It's primarily the offense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lewis had a terrific season. Lets not degrade what he did. There was something more here. I have been saying this for awhile now, but I believe the locker room had been tainted by immaturity, me first attitudes, chit chat, and division. The leadership void left by Hines and Smith was never filled. I believe there were problem children and I believe a house cleaning was in order from a financial and a attitude standpoint.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If they need more leadership beyond foote, Keisel, Clark, Troy, Timmons, Ben, Heath, pouncey to keep things on the right track, then Tomlin needs canned. With a former DC then HC as the current DC, and former OC then HC as his OC, his only true job is team maintenance.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Ike and all, but I just can't forget how he single-handedly let Tebow beat us at a time we coulda been a contenduh. Now maybe that's not how it happened, but it's how I remember it, so if anyone can set me straight otherwise, I'd appreciate it!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I like Ike and all, but I just can't forget how he single-handedly let Tebow beat us at a time we coulda been a contenduh. Now maybe that's not how it happened, but it's how I remember it, so if anyone can set me straight otherwise, I'd appreciate it!
    I'm not sure who was to blame but there's no way Ike would have given Thomas the inside if he had no help. I think it was Mundy that should have been helping him.

Ike gets beat by his lack of ball awareness sometimes, but he usually doesn't get beat because of his lack of coverage. Ike gives cushions and makes tackles, but he doesn't give a guy 80 yards worth of cushion.

I blame Lebeau for a lack of game plan in that game. And Ben for a sporadic offense.

Backup

User Info Menu

This has turned into an excellent debate. I like Ike Taylor. He is always stuck with the #1 receiver... and does a solid job more times than not. Ike may have a year or two left, but we have to ask if he is worth the 9 to 10 million a year that he is owed the next two years. How many solid players would we be able to sign with that kind of cap space, in order to fill other areas of need? We certainly wouldn't be worried about finding an extra million to sign guys like A.Bradshaw, who would be a definite upgrade from what we have had at RB the last few years.

In my opinion, Lewis had a very good season last year under Carnell Lake. He should be seen as a player who is on the rise, with the potential of several more years at that level of play. If Ike goes, and Lewis stays, we get younger, free up money, and the level of play does not drop off. If the FO would have done their jobs this year, we could have let go of some of the "Dead money", extended some contracts with the younger guys who are producing, and have been legitimate contenders once again.

Looking at some of the supposed problem guys on the team... that is all on Tomblin as a Head Coach and disciplinarian. Hate to say it, but it looks like we need a guy like Cowher in there to get the players heads screwed on straight.. After all of the success that Tomblin has had... I cant believe I'm questioning his leadership ability...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just a few things to note. First, Lewis was not covering the top WR's most of the time so to say that there would be little to no dropoff if we'd kept him instead of Ike just seems like a silly thing to assert. Secondly, let's remember that Cowher left after an 8-8 season so it's not like he was above any of what we see now.

I'm not sure about the cap issues, but Lewis was the FA, not Ike. He got interest from another team and the Steelers had Allen waiting there who they thought would be just as good. I guess it doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike Taylor's base is $6M (8th in NFL for CBs), cap is $9.5M (5th in NFL). Ike is certainly top 10, but one could question top 5. Champ Bailey is same age as Ike commands $11M cap (3rd in NFL) and had all of 2 ints last season. Is he worth it? Point is, solid #1 CBs are very hard to find (and keep without paying).