Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers reasoning for letting Lewis go...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    .... and the level of play does not drop off......
    What evidence do you have of this statement?

Was Lewis successful in covering AJ Green 2x last season? or Troy Smith? has Lewis ever had to defend a C Johnson? there simply is no evidence to support your claim.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Just a few things to note. First, Lewis was not covering the top WR's most of the time so to say that there would be little to no dropoff if we'd kept him instead of Ike just seems like a silly thing to assert. Secondly, let's remember that Cowher left after an 8-8 season so it's not like he was above any of what we see now.

I'm not sure about the cap issues, but Lewis was the FA, not Ike. He got interest from another team and the Steelers had Allen waiting there who they thought would be just as good. I guess it doesn't seem that complicated to me.
    The problem is we don't know if Allen is just as good... it takes YEARS to find a CB who can play in our system and as soon as it looked like Lewis figured things out we let him go. Another 2 or 3 years starting in our system and I think Lewis would have been a solid #1..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

Was Lewis successful in covering AJ Green 2x last season? or Troy Smith? has Lewis ever had to defend a C Johnson? there simply is no evidence to support your claim.
    Who has been successful covering any of these guys? Unless you get pressure on the QB 99% of the CB's in the NFL will lose this battle.

Administrator

User Info Menu

We'll never have that evidence because we decided to keep an aging, costly player over Lewis. I think you are missing the fundamental point. Ike has been a very good Steeler. He has been very durable over the years and has blanketed many teams #1 WRs over the years. No one is disputing that.

The argument is that you could have locked up a younger player at the CB position for a very reasonable cost. Maybe he isn't a #1 but he's definitely a #2. If Lewis is unproven as a starter then what does that make Cortez Allen? That is not a knock on the guy. He's still good enough to be a #2, at worst and he's proven that. If Allen turns out like we hope, he will be our #1 for years to come.

Essentially, we could have locked up our future #1 and #2 CB for years to come. Instead, we let our future #2 (at worst) walk. For what reason? To keep Ike Taylor for ONE MORE YEAR (he'll likely get cut next year anyway) ?!?!? Now, we have to draft and develop another CB for a couple of years when we already had that CB on the roster. Let's not forget, the Steelers have a ton of holes on this team. It would have been nice to say, "CB isn't a need" going into this draft. Now, it is along with numerous other positions. Hell, we don't even have enough draft picks to cover all the team needs as it currently stands.

Cutting Ike this year causes some dead cap $ but you save ALL of his 10.5 dollar salary next year. Ike isn't making "good CB money". He is making ELITE CB money. Cutting Ike this year and signing Lewis was close to a wash from a financial standpoint. However, next year you save the full 10.5 million. In addition, the Steelers would have their #2 (at worst) CB still on the team and you could use some of that 10.5 million of cap space next year to sign your anticipated #1 (Cortez Allen). Not a bad strategy IMO. Unfortunately, the Steelers FO weakened this team's future from a positional standpoint and from a salary cap standpoint (due to Ike's salary for this year and next).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ike is solid. The steelers didn't want to give a 3rd corner starters money. The thought of Lewis covering the opponents best receiver on a regular basis would not help nore make our defense better. Ike usually takes away one of the opponents best weapon per game that is huge you can't say that about to many corners out there. If Ike was gone and Lewis was here there would be a lot of B&G tears during the games. You don't know what you had until it's gone. I'm glad this isn't pertaining to Ike and we won't miss Lewis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fact 1: when Ike was injured Keenan was not assigned to his position, it was Allen.
    Fact 2: Keenan wanted to play in front of the hometown
    Fact 3: Pre-Ike injury last season; pass defense avg'd 159 yds/gm, while Ike was out 241 yds

The facts don't support that Ike=Keenan, now or ever.

I have no problem with the Steelers honoring his contract as he has been a solid contributor in games played.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Who has been successful covering any of these guys? Unless you get pressure on the QB 99% of the CB's in the NFL will lose this battle.
    Ike has. First Bengals game w Ike, Green was 4/38 yds, second game when Ike was out 10/116 yds. And this isn't an isolated game. Ike shuts the other guy out, period. Its one side of the field the Steelers dont have to worry about.

Point is, most of you are waaaay undervaluing Ike's abilities.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Right on !

And I think Cortez will be very good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike has. First Bengals game w Ike, Green was 4/38 yds, second game when Ike was out 10/116 yds. And this isn't an isolated game. Ike shuts the other guy out, period. Its one side of the field the Steelers dont have to worry about.

Point is, most of you are waaaay undervaluing Ike's abilities.
    Your statement pretty much sums it up.

Backup

User Info Menu

When I stated that I was looking at it from a projection standpoint. As was stated in a previous thread, it takes years for corners to develop in this system. As good of a year that Lewis had... who's to say that he and Allen (who are coming into their prime in the next few years) aren't able to play as well as Ike? And when we talk about Ike Taylor... we're taking about a guy who is 34 years old, and coming off a season ending injury. Who's to say that he's going to be able to play as his full potential this year?

At some point we have to sacrifice a little for the team... and if letting Ike walk would mean keeping young prospects who are capable of filling the void... and freeing up money to bring in quality FA's such as A. Bradshaw (to help strengthen other positions), then I'm all for it.