Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers reasoning for letting Lewis go...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm almost done beating this horse..lol

[url]http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5336/keenan-lewis[/url]

They have a nice break down on Lewis' career and how he "played the game" perfectly to get a nice contract. He is quoted saying he "hopes" to remain a Steeler but he also stated he didn't want "nickel money".. he wanted "starter money"

He damn sure got it and maybe he laughs off our offer if it was nickel money but looking at his play last year he deserved starter money.

Lewis has reportedly had a "strong camp" and "impressed coaches" with his knowledge of the scheme. He'll start the season ahead of Cortez Allen, who slides in as the nickel back behind RCB Ike Taylor and Lewis.
    This is part of the problem though ^^^^ in 2012 he finally impressed our coaches with his knowledge of our scheme which is easy to learn.
    Ryan gets Lewis in NO and puts him in man and he shines... smh. This 2 to 3 year "knowledge of scheme" will continue and it's the reason we resign guys like McFadden and Gay.. and even if we go CB early in the draft the cycle will continue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    pap, was he always this way with what he wanted when he arrived to the Steelers or just something closer to his last season ? I ask this because if that was his wishes/attitude you would think the Steelers would have not wasted in my opinion a roster spot for this guy. Sign or develop another guy that wants to be a Steeler and remain a Steeler.
    Evidently, he has felt this way and also let teams know that NO was his ultimate destination even coming out of the senior bowl. I'm not sure why the Steelers drafted him knowing this, obviously, he's a talented CB, and I believe had he shown the level of play in the year prior to his last year with the Steelers they would have offered him a contract extension with a year to go on his contract rather than allowing him to hit free agency. Would that have changed his mind about NO? No way of knowing. However, security is a very attractive benefit for football players and had the Steelers made him a nice extension offer with reasonable guaranteed money he may not have been able to turn it down.

Water under the bridge at this point, the Steelers need to draft a CB this year, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Evidently, he has felt this way and also let teams know that NO was his ultimate destination even coming out of the senior bowl. I'm not sure why the Steelers drafted him knowing this, obviously, he's a talented CB, and I believe had he shown the level of play in the year prior to his last year with the Steelers they would have offered him a contract extension with a year to go on his contract rather than allowing him to hit free agency. Would that have changed his mind about NO? No way of knowing. However, security is a very attractive benefit for football players and had the Steelers made him a nice extension offer with reasonable guaranteed money he may not have been able to turn it down.

Water under the bridge at this point, the Steelers need to draft a CB this year, IMO.

Pappy
    I think they drafted Lewis because he had talent and most coaches and FO know these players have favorite teams they dream of playing for one day. Our FO's job is to make sure we reward talent and retain the best players. If we offered him starter money and treated him like he was our #1 priority I'm sure the decision is much harder for Lewis or he doesn't take it at all. He didn't love the Saint's enough to sit out and try to walk onto their roster.

Like you said.. water under the bridge.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Maybe I missed it but I didnt see anything that suggested he took less money.
    He said it himself, right here:

"Those guys were trying to offer more money, but I had it set in my mind the whole time if the Saints offered me I was going to come home. I had to get it done," Lewis said.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Again, what we know versus what we think...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    You do know that Tomlin is not the only one making these choices right? I mean Colbert and ARII have both said that they have say in the picks. I would also think that Tomlin has input on what FA to keep, but Colbert, ARII and even Kahn (capologist) have input too. But, you blame the pick, and the failure to keep him, solely on Tomlin. A squid has many tentacles ... some shorter than others it seems.
    for whatever reason, tomlin feels the need to let everyone know that he makes the picks, he does the hiring and he does the firing.
    i can only assume his ego took a serious shot with the arians debacle and he thinks he can fool some people into believing he is calling all the shots.
    seriously, why would someone have a presser to state that they were the ones that fired arians? c'mon man.
    same with the draft picks. says he is responsible for them. why not say its a team effort? its not about accountability with tomlin, its his ego.
    so if tomlin wants to tell me that he is the one responsible, then i'll play along and believe him.
    i dont like tomlin. i think he's a phony. he doesnt fool me like he does a lot of the 'fans' . i believe he won with cowhers players, cant draft or coach up guys to replace cowhers great players and has this team headed in the wrong direction. i'll be happy for him to prove me wrong, but it is quite apparent that i am right. the past 5 years prove that.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He said it himself, right here:
    thanks.... ... .

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    for whatever reason, tomlin feels the need to let everyone know that he makes the picks, he does the hiring and he does the firing.
    i can only assume his ego took a serious shot with the arians debacle and he thinks he can fool some people into believing he is calling all the shots.
    seriously, why would someone have a presser to state that they were the ones that fired arians? c'mon man.
    same with the draft picks. says he is responsible for them. why not say its a team effort? its not about accountability with tomlin, its his ego.
    so if tomlin wants to tell me that he is the one responsible, then i'll play along and believe him.
    i dont like tomlin. i think he's a phony. he doesnt fool me like he does a lot of the 'fans' . i believe he won with cowhers players, cant draft or coach up guys to replace cowhers great players and has this team headed in the wrong direction. i'll be happy for him to prove me wrong, but it is quite apparent that i am right. the past 5 years prove that.
    speaking of ego...lol.

Didn't we go to a SB in 2011?
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-15-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Maybe I missed it but I didnt see anything that suggested he took less money. Regardless... we had a chance to make an offer and didn't. Maybe he says no but at least it shows we are interested. Without an offer it leaves the door open for Lewis to say "I was shocked they didn't even attempt to make an offer"

As far as his love for the Saints.. c'mon. Larry Fitzgerald said this:
    I grew up a Vikings fan and I would be lying to you if I didn’t say I was still a Vikings fan. Growing up in Minnesota it’s second nature. I still pull for them when I’m not playing them. A lot of my closest friends in the NFL are Vikings. I’m close with (Everson) Griffen, Jared Allen, Phil (Loadholt), [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/adrian-peterson"]Adrian Peterson[/URL], Kyle Rudolph. You pull for your friends.

Cam Newton said this: "I've always been a Falcons fan, and I'm still a Falcons fan except for those two times a year [when the Panthers play Atlanta."

Every player in the NFL has a favorite team they grew up cheering for but if a team drafts them and gives them a contract offer BEFORE their favorite team makes them a great offer they will take it.

We messed up, it happens but it's OKAY to admit we screwed the pooch with the FO in cap hell and thinking Allen was/is better than Lewis.
    Multiple sources valued Keenan Lewis' free agency contract value at anywhere from $35M-50M. He took $26M to play in New Orleans. There are a lot of fans that would call that a bargain for NO, meaning he undersold himself. Also, never underestimate the power of family pressure when making career choices. If you had the choice of being a multi-millionaire in a city you grew up in and love, versus a multi-millionaire in a place with no family or relationships, which would you choose?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Multiple sources valued Keenan Lewis' free agency contract value at anywhere from $35M-50M. He took $26M to play in New Orleans. There are a lot of fans that would call that a bargain for NO, meaning he undersold himself. Also, never underestimate the power of family pressure when making career choices. If you had the choice of being a multi-millionaire in a city you grew up in and love, versus a multi-millionaire in a place with no family or relationships, which would you choose?
    I'm from Pittsburgh so that's a trick question... I love home but not that much.

However, if I did love the city like Lewis I would move in a heartbeat.

I wasn't talking about his value though.. I was talking about actual offers. Slap's quote answered my question.