Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers reasoning for letting Lewis go...

1) Keenan told teams at the draft that he wanted to be a Saint...

2) He was given a fair shot...he just didn't take advantage before his fourth year...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

2) He was given a fair shot...he just didn't take advantage before his fourth year...
    I believe he took advantage of his shot and was rewarded with a 20 million dollar contract.

The problem is WE didn't take advantage of his 4 years to give US the best chance of seeing his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Keenan Lewis wanted to go home to Louisiana and only an exorbitant amount of money was going to stop him from doing that. He took less than the Vikings offered him to play for the Saints.
    Are you sure about that? I know that Mike Wallace turned down an offer from the Vikings, but I can find no report of Keenan Lewis turning down any offer from the Vikings to sign with the Saints. But even if he did, does that mean he would have dismissed a reasonable offer from the Steelers? Some of you keep saying that Lewis was so determined to go home to New Orleans that he gave the Saints a big discount...but I can find nothing to back that up, other than some message board speculation. The fact is, the Steelers didn't make any offer for Lewis, and he expressed surprise and disappointment about that. They didn't make an offer...they didn't even express interest in making an offer, IIRC. They DID make overtures to such players as Elvis Dumervil and Dwight Freeney, even though they had to have known they could not possibly outbid the other teams that wanted them. Yet not a peep toward Keenan. I can only conclude (as I think Lewis did) that the Steelers didn't really want him. F.O.'s biggest blunder of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Never heard that before, but if true, could it be because he already knew the Steelers weren't interested?

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Are you sure about that? I know that Mike Wallace turned down an offer from the Vikings, but I can find no report of Keenan Lewis turning down any offer from the Vikings to sign with the Saints. But even if he did, does that mean he would have dismissed a reasonable offer from the Steelers? Some of you keep saying that Lewis was so determined to go home to New Orleans that he gave the Saints a big discount...but I can find nothing to back that up, other than some message board speculation. The fact is, the Steelers didn't make any offer for Lewis, and he expressed surprise and disappointment about that. They didn't make an offer...they didn't even express interest in making an offer, IIRC. They DID make overtures to such players as Elvis Dumervil and Dwight Freeney, even though they had to have known they could not possibly outbid the other teams that wanted them. Yet not a peep toward Keenan. I can only conclude (as I think Lewis did) that the Steelers didn't really want him. F.O.'s biggest blunder of the year.
    if he was surprised/disappointed by the lack of an offer from the steelers, that tells me that he may not have been dead set on leaving...which means we could have possibly kept him and had been set at corner well into the future.
    Like you said, the biggest blunder of the year. Excellent post

Legend
    Never heard that before, but if true, could it be because he already knew the Steelers weren't interested?
    That doesnt make any sense at all... this is said to dull the sting. There is no way Keenan turns down a deal if we gave him a fair shot and made an offer a year earlier. I'm 100% sure we would have seen enough to realize he had star potential.

Dwyer came in fat... and we still gave him meaningful touches and every chance possible to make an impression.

Legend
    I couldnt find anything about the Vikings making an offer.

Quotes from Keenan Lewis...

About free agency:

"Those guys were trying to offer more money, but I had it set in my mind the whole time if the Saints offered me I was going to come home. I had to get it done," Lewis said. "I looked at it like I'm home. I'm from Algiers. I went to O.P. Walker. A lot of guys don't really have that opportunity to play for their hometown team. Then when I had the opportunity to sit down with Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, Rob Ryan and my position coach, (Wesley) McGriff, they really made me feel at home. And that's something I had in Pittsburgh.

"When I first walked in there I felt like I was at home. I had opportunities to go to teams that offered me a lot more money. But everybody can't say that they had the opportunity to play in their back yard. Even when I was in Pittsburgh I would go back and watch four or five Saints games just to get acquainted with what they were doing."
    On the draft:

"I almost didn't get drafted because I told all the teams my wish was to play for the Saints," he said. "I let that be known when I was coming out of college at the Senior Bowl."

Pro Bowler

not to be dink and a 'got a link' guy, but do you have a link that has lewis stating that he was surprised and disappointed that no offer was made?

fwiw, during the n.o. playoff game, the announcers commented on lewis wanting to come home to play.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Pro Bowler
    wow, sure looks likie ik waas 100% correct on the lewis situation where someone was 100% wroing
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis