Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ed: Steelers Blew it on Both Sanders, Harrison

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    No, it may be better to have the services of both Sanders and a rookie this season, and given the WR depth may get the equivalent of Sanders a round later than he was picked. That was the point of my post.
    I honestly don't believe Sanders will have the luxury of taking the season cautious because he doesnt have the stats to command the big payday without a blockbuster season.
    For this season, yes, I agree that it is better to have Sanders. Sanders is a better weapon than Burress or Cotchery and will likely perform better than a rookie picked this year.

But, even if the Steelers draft a WR this year, they will need to draft another WR or sign a free agent in 2014, assuming that Sanders leaves. And while he makes the team marginally better this year, I don't see him as a difference maker. If Sanders left, the Steelers could have drafted 2 WRs this year and been set moving forward. Instead of using picks in the first three rounds to attempt to replace and maintain the status quo, they could look to improve.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Only if you are not trying to win this year...
    I think you always have to balance the present and the future. Letting Sanders go would give the Steelers 4 picks in the first three rounds both this year and next. That would give an aging team a lot of ammunition to reload...

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers-hater James Harrison wanted by Bengals

By Kevin Patra NFL.com
    Published: April 16, 2013

James Harrison signing with the Cincinnati Bengals seems so assumed that Bengals players sounded perfectly comfortable talking about the linebacker's potential addition on Monday.

"One of the things I like about him is he brings that intensity and swagger to the defense," defensive tackle Domata Peko said Monday, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Whenever I watch him play he is knocking people's heads off. That's what you want on that team. With Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins, those are a lot of playmakers out there, and to add someone like Harrison would be awesome for us."

Harrison met with the Bengals' brass Monday to work on a contract, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported. A contract has yet to surface.

The 34-year-old former NFL Defensive Player of the Year would slide into the strong-side linebacker spot alongside middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and weak-side linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

The Bengals' locker room likes the idea of lining him up against the Pittsburgh Steelers twice next season.

"He hates the Steelers now, and that's somebody we need on our side of the football," defensive end Carlos Dunlap said.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160180/article/cincinnati-bengals-want-steelers-hater-james-harrison[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Remember Joey, Harrison was a beast it's time to let the next man up. Let him race Woodly for the team sack title. His run defense will come fast, I would say he's at the same point when James started, only it took him a few years earlier.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Why didn't the Steelers tender Manny at $2M?
    seems like no one is signing RFA's these days anyway. so what's the point unless you really are thinking you have a great player who will draw attention. I was surprised by this myself
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mclendon and Redman haven't signed their tenders yet, I hear the deadline is this Friday.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers basically blew $500,000 dollars. $500,000 isn't going to make or break the team. I don't see the big deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ex-NFL GM Casserly: Max Starks Might Sign Before James Harrison Does

April 17, 2013

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – As the NFLDraft approaches, NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly joins Ron Cook on Sportsradio 93-7 The Fan.

The former NFL general manager shares his thoughts on James Harrison’s situation, as talks between Harrison and the Cincinnati Bengals appear to have stalled.

“He’s not the same player he was,” Casserly says. “Clearly, he misread the market. I didn’t think there would be any market for him. You gotta look at his age, and where he was last year, he’s only 3-4 outside linebacker so that eliminates half the teams right there. He had a home with the Steelers, and he misread that.

“Max Starks may have a better chance of getting signed than James Harrison, because of [the value of] the offensive tackle position versus the outside linebacker position. Even though Harrison is probably a better player at this time, Max might get signed first,” he added.

[URL]http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/04/17/ex-nfl-gm-casserly-max-starks-might-sign-before-james-harrison-does/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha