Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agent: Sanders may opt to play year out with Steelers then sign elsewhere

Backup

User Info Menu

Agent: Sanders may opt to play year out with Steelers then sign elsewhere

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/agent-sanders-may-opt-to-play-year-out-with-steelers-then-sign-elsewhere-683565/[/url]

Maybe some of this is posturing, but why, why bring back someone who obviously doesn't want to be here and eats cap money. IMO Sanders has been a china doll and now he comes off a lot like Wallace. If the FO doesn't get him locked up long term this is a wasted move. And if the FO takes a chance on Sanders long term, is he going to stay healthy and be a consistent and major contributor? That 3rd rd pick was looking awful good to me. I still hope the brain trust goes after Steadman Baily. Count me as not a fan of Sanders... he has to bring it first... and so far he hasn't. Just my 2 cents.

Legend

User Info Menu

As long as he doesn't pull a Wallace, playing the season with caution - this might not be bad. Sanders has a lot to prove, whereas Wallace had already proven his biggest asset - speed. So, I think Sanders play has hard as he can this year.

It will be intersting to see if/where the Steelers draft a WR. If we do draft a receiver, then Sanders can help fill the void until the new guy is up to speed. Keeps the Steelers from reaching in the draft and gives us a capable player for at least this season. It's the Steeler way.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not a waste. We signed a guy with potential and familiarity, for $2.5 million. If he decides to leave after the season, we still got the year of service for which he was paid. At worst, it's a marginal mistake because people seem to be a) banking on that 3rd round pick we would've gained in return, and b) thinking that 3rd round pick would've turned out to be a Russell Wilson-level impact performer.

It's more likely that whoever it was, would've been a non-factor or minor contributor in '13. And if I knew the statistics of 3rd round picks and longevity in the league (I'm going to guess something around the league-average 3-4 year career)--it's not a big deal at all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It will not be a waste, at worse we still get a high comp pick if he is signed for mega bucks. And still get a starter for cheap for a year.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/agent-sanders-may-opt-to-play-year-out-with-steelers-then-sign-elsewhere-683565/[/URL]

Maybe some of this is posturing, but why, why bring back someone who obviously doesn't want to be here and eats cap money. IMO Sanders has been a china doll and now he comes off a lot like Wallace. If the FO doesn't get him locked up long term this is a wasted move. And if the FO takes a chance on Sanders long term, is he going to stay healthy and be a consistent and major contributor? That 3rd rd pick was looking awful good to me. I still hope the brain trust goes after Steadman Baily. Count me as not a fan of Sanders... he has to bring it first... and so far he hasn't. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders' Agent
    "It would have to be a very good deal for us to sign a multi-year agreement," Woy said.
    This is exactly what I mentioned in a different thread. Sanders has no reason to sign a long term deal with the Steelers unless, it's above market value with UFA looming 11 months from now. He can do exactly like Wallace did, limit his exposure to injury, play and wait for the end of the season which in all likelihood will be December. Of course, it's a risk, he could get injured and have nothing, but it seems that today's players are willing to roll the dice. He just watched it work for Wallace. He could hold out for the long term deal (with no intent on signing anything the Steelers propose) and miss training camp, start playing in September, probably very little if he misses training camp and cruise through the season and hit UFA.

The Steelers will probably wish they had the third round pick this year.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

what has Sanders done to deserve a fat contract in FA next year? He has to ball out this year IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    what has Sanders done to deserve a fat contract in FA next year? He has to ball out this year IMO.
    Nothing, but if New England was interested and according to his agent other teams were willing to make the same play, he'll get more than we expect for doing not much. You don't need to do much in the NFL any longer to get more than you're worth. If you've made catches, made some YAC, and scored a few touchdowns you can get yourself a nice payday in the new NFL where you need 4 competent receivers to compete. It used to be that way for running backs, now it's WRs and quarterbacks.

He only has to ensure that he heads into the free agent season healthy and some one will overpay for him.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    You don't need to do much in the NFL any longer to get more than you're worth.
    Ask Mendy and James if they think this is true?

I'm of the mindset Sanders has to go all out. He may fancy money like Wally, but he plays a different game. He's got a much different approach on the field and typically seeks out contact even on plays most WRs take off.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice work Steelers........way to ensure we have another prima donna on our hands that makes no effort on any ball that doesn't hit him directly in the chest.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd also add, this is all the Steelers' fault for overpaying Brown.