Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deebo Conspiracy Theory

Legend

User Info Menu

Deebo Conspiracy Theory

So we know the Steelers seem to be cleaning out many of the "problem" players from Wally to Mendy to Keenan, etc. Whatever rumor you want to believe about those guys, so be it.

Curious if anyone thinks we cut James salary on purpose knowing he wouldn't accept the deal because the team viewed him as a "problem". That way, the Steelers appease Goodell and get back in the good graces of the NFL by cutting ties, yet keep the fans and coaches happy by shopping this to the media as a financial move.

Is James really helping out the Steelers making comments like he wouldn't pee out the commish if he were on fire? Is it really the Steelers way to just keep hitting guys how you want to hit them without remorse?

It's clear for all of us to see, he was our best defender the second half of last season while he was getting healthy. So long as there's no health issue we don't know about, there's no reason he couldn't be back to being DMVP next year. Yet we cut him. WTF? There's gotta be more to it.

This feels like some backdoor agreement between the Steelers and the league. But why? Hopefully it'll help us get #7 at least. Maybe we'll start to get better officiating?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't believe there is anything to this beyond the surface. The Steelers told one guy he had to take a pay cut to stick around while two other older players, Troy and Ike, got to keep their money. Harrison and probably his agent thought he could do better than 4 million a year. Apparently nobody wanted him but before he could come and say he would take the 4 they were offering him the Steelers showed their thin skin and told him they don't want him back. Now he is seeking a job. No more to it than that.

Antonio Brown spoke the truth when he said the Steelers don't like it if you don't do what they want you to do. The only reason we brought Sanders back, even though he did pretty much the same exact thing Harrison did was because Ben made some calls and they didn't want to lose a 2nd WR to free agency.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe no one was interested in him for the same reasons? Is he being black balled by the NFL. Cincy of course never cares about this sort of thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's clear for all of us to see, he was our best defender the second half of last season while he was getting healthy. So long as there's no health issue we don't know about, there's no reason he couldn't be back to being DMVP next year. Yet we cut him. WTF? There's gotta be more to it.

There's the problem with your theory Flippy. We didn't cut him. We offered him more money than anyone else has so far. Harrison has been great in the PAST and he was coming on late last year. But he's up there in years and has been injury prone lately. Tough to throw a lot of money there.

I agree that there's nothing more to the story than what's on the surface. We made him a reasonable offer and Harrison and/or his agent thought the Steelers were bluffing or that he could get signficantly more elsewhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, Goodell did put Tomlin on the Competition Committee this year....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    There's the problem with your theory Flippy. We didn't cut him. We offered him more money than anyone else has so far. Harrison has been great in the PAST and he was coming on late last year. But he's up there in years and has been injury prone lately. Tough to throw a lot of money there.

I agree that there's nothing more to the story than what's on the surface. We made him a reasonable offer and Harrison and/or his agent thought the Steelers were bluffing or that he could get signficantly more elsewhere.
    Troy has been hurt even more and didn't have to take a pay cut. Ivan broke his leg and his game is built on speed so we know he's hurt coming into the season. And Ivan didn't have to take a pay cut. And he had a proven guy behind him.

Troy and Ivan are choirboys on the Steelers. And they are 2 and 3 years younger.

And I think you could make the case that leg injuries for your SS and #1 CB are just as bad as a back injury for your OLB even at their respective ages.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Well, Goodell did put Tomlin on the Competition Committee this year....
    QED...well played Joos

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All I can say out of any of this is I will not be shocked when Harrison puts up 14 sacks this year while Worilds and Woodley struggle through injuries/fatness, etc.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    while Worilds and Woodley struggle through injuries/fatness, etc.
    This part just cracked me up

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe someone can fill me in because I had to miss something. Bengals play a 4-3. Where they projecting Harrison? He is playing like a SAM backer at this point in his career...But If he is going to play 4-3 LB I don't think he gets double digit sacks. I don't know how they would see him as a 4-3 DE. Perhaps the Bengals are just using Harrison to get Dansby's number down. 4 years younger & much better suited to be a 4-3 OLB but I heard his number is alot higher. Be interesting to see how this plays out and where he does play.