Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Annual PlanetSteelers Board Mock Draft (2013 commentary thread)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Gotta admit that I was surprised by the Khaseem Greene pick to the Steelers in round 2 (although he could be the next in line of Greene's on our defense following Joe and Kevin). Not that I dislike the player or don't feel that he'd be a fit on this team, but with all of the other options that are available (as I listed in my round 2 poll thread), Greene didn't even make my top 10 options available for us there.

If we wanted to go with the OLB-ILB combo in the first two rounds after taking Jarvis Jones in round 1, I don't know how they pass up Minter or Te'o for Greene here (Minter was the one guy who was rock-solid-consistent this year on an LSU defense that is packed with potential superstar types, and Te'o would bring tremendous value here in round 2, since he is still a tackling machine and a leader, in spite of the catfish scheme and subpar workouts).

With Wallace gone, they could have gone with a Hines Ward type of wideout (sure-handed, tough, great route runner) who is surprisingly still available in round 2 (his numbers dropped this year because his brother sucks as a QB and his 40 time suffered because he is not 100% back from his injury and wasn't able to train for these workouts for months like other prospects due to his rehab).

With Mendenhall gone, they could take a dynamic RB like Bernard or Franklin...compact, shifty RB's who can also catch the ball out of the backfield and should benefit from a zone blocking scheme (like a Ray Rice or Shady McCoy type).

With Lewis gone, they could take a future replacement for Ike opposite Cortez, such as a big CB like Banks or a medical miracle in Hayden.

With Casey gone and Ta'Amu's future questionnable, they could take a potential 1st round NT prospect in Hankins here in the middle of round 2.

With Starks gone and Gilbert a questionable fit in a zone blocking scheme, they could take a solid LT prospect in Watson.

With Troy and Clark getting up there in age and no depth whatsoever behind them with Allen and Mundy now elsewhere, they could have drafted a very solid safety value in round 2 with the talented Eric Reid.

Just surprised to see the Greene pick with all of those guys just mentioned still available to us in round 2 (goes to show that in spite of it not necessarily being a strong draft at the top, it appears to be a remarkably deep draft, so we should be able to get a couple of excellent prospects on Friday night as well as Thursday night). Looking forward to the real thing, now less than a week away.
    Yeah, it was tough sticking to my board on that one. But, he fits the new mold linebacker that the Steelers seem to favor now. He is much more sudden and athletic than Minter and Te'o. He is probably not as stout (yet), but he played outside linebacker mostly at Rutgers. He covered lots of receivers and TEs in space, and he is a big hitter. I know he ran a 4.7 at the combine. But, I think that was not indicative of just how fast he is on the field. He was the best defender on a poor defense. His play inspired that unit and made them competitive. He did this without real NFL talent around him. I'm very high on him.

I was tempted to go WR as well.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Yeah, it was tough sticking to my board on that one. But, he fits the new mold linebacker that the Steelers seem to favor now. He is much more sudden and athletic than Minter and Te'o. He is probably not as stout (yet), but he played outside linebacker mostly at Rutgers. He covered lots of receivers and TEs in space, and he is a big hitter. I know he ran a 4.7 at the combine. But, I think that was not indicative of just how fast he is on the field. He was the best defender on a poor defense. His play inspired that unit and made them competitive. He did this without real NFL talent around him. I'm very high on him.

I was tempted to go WR as well.
    Solid logic. Thanks for keeping things moving by making the Texans pick after they were leapfrogged twice.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A few more points...

Greene is a playmaker. You talk about Minter being consistent and that being his selling point. Greene was consistent AND dynamic. Many of the pundits and draft evaluators have really looked at Greene as a 4-3 OLB only (his college position). But, Greene is almost as big as Minter and posses similar instincts. Greene has topped 130 tackles the last two seasons (impressive for a 4-3 OLB) who is often double teamed or simply ran away from. Minter is a great ILB who had excellent tackle totals as well this season (130 tackles). He has good athleticism and will be a solid player. Minter is NFL ready. But, in three years Minter forced 3 turnovers. In four seasons, Greene forced 18 - without the aid of an NFL front four in front of him and while teams game planned specifically to avoid him. If fact, Greene force 8 turnovers just this season (2 int and 6FF). Greene has the higher ceiling and will be better in space. He will need to learn to be stout in the hole and take on FBs and pulling guards. If he does this, he has All Pro potential.

I really think Minter would be a better fit for the Steelers for this season. He is ready now. But, I think Greene could be amazing. And he'd allow them to stay in base defense sometimes instead of switching to nickel. He is great in pass coverage. Totally reminds me of Timmons.

No problem on the Houston pick! Looks like we have another double leapfrog now.
    Last edited by steelblood; 04-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Todd McShay rates GM RuthlessBurgher with a C so far and comments "I don't have anything against the guy and respect all the work he puts into the draft, but just based on sheer numbers, he had to make some good picks and bad picks. No one can manage that many draft boards. Maybe we'll come back in 3 years and re-grade these GMs and we'll find out that these other chuckleheads made all the bad picks while RB made all the good ones. And at that point I'll consider bumping him up to an A if that is the case. But no one's gonna remember this comment in 3 years. So what?"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice pick flippy. The Steelers were eyeing Patton. Can't believe he lasted that long.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Nice pick flippy. The Steelers were eyeing Patton. Can't believe he lasted that long.
    You got me interested in this Greene kid now. I also like Ogletree and think he brings a similar athleticism to the ILB position. I even think he started out as a Safety, so he's got that new athleticism needed for an ILB. But I figured the Steelers would stay away from him cause of the character. Maybe Greene is in that similar mold.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You got me interested in this Greene kid now. I also like Ogletree and think he brings a similar athleticism to the ILB position. I even think he started out as a Safety, so he's got that new athleticism needed for an ILB. But I figured the Steelers would stay away from him cause of the character. Maybe Greene is in that similar mold.
    A middle round guy in the same mold is Devonte Holloman from South Carolina. He started as a safety and actually played safety this season (at 6'2 243 pounds) when they had injuries. He has fantastic athleticism and burst to the ball. His instincts are not as good as Greene's, but his skill set isn't that far off. He can cover TEs, play zone, and blitz very well. He is currently rated at a 4th or 5th round prospect.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Interesting to see how the whole 3 rounds played out. Some no-brainers and some surprises. Just like how the real one will go, I'm sure. Good job everyone!
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Interesting to see how the whole 3 rounds played out. Some no-brainers and some surprises. Just like how the real one will go, I'm sure. Good job everyone!
    Wonder how close we'll be to the real thing. Can't wait until tonight. I'm so excited I can't sleep

Legend

User Info Menu

I just found a couple of PM's in my folder that I didn't realize were there before. The Baltimore and Houston picks were made by their GM's after all. Houston actually wanted Dallas Thomas, so I nailed that one. Baltimore wanted safety J.J. Wilcox, while I picked safety Bacarri Rambo. I wasn't exact this time, but I did get the position right, so that has to count for something. I'll make the change on our official list now. Sorry about that.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.