Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone assumes...

Legend

User Info Menu

Everyone assumes...

That the Jones pick was because of dissatisfaction with Worilds. How about the pick was about dissatisfaction and insurance with regards to Woodley and the huge contract he has.

Keep in mind that Worilds had 5 sacks last year and Woodley had 4 getting paid a whole bunch of money.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That the Jones pick was because of dissatisfaction with Worilds. How about the pick was about dissatisfaction and insurance with regards to Woodley and the huge contract he has.

Keep in mind that Worilds had 5 sacks last year and Woodley had 4 getting paid a whole bunch of money.
    One of them is on the hot seat, unless, Worilds can move inside and fill the role that Spence was drafted to play. If Jones outplays Worilds, then so be it and Worilds is a backup or isn't re-signed when his rookie contract is up. If Woodley gets hurt or continues to have lackluster performance then maybe he gets cut, the Steelers eat whatever they have to eat of his salary and they move on with Worilds and Jones.

None of them want to be a backup, but one of them is going to be a backup (except for the Worilds inside scenario). It is what it is at this point, 3 relatively young OLBs in a 3-4 defense, 2 play and 1 sits.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

+1

This is exactly what I was thinking. They now have options with the OLB position that they didn't have prior to the draft. If Woodley underperforms again this year, it may be he and his huge contract that is let go, and hungry and potentially cheaper options ( Worilds and Jones ) are playing.

Starter

User Info Menu

This pick was made for a number of reasons. Question marks about Worilds being 1. Question marks about Woodley being 2. And absolutely no depth at the position being 3. Add to that number 4, the Steelers were always high on Jones. I think they are happy as hell he was available at 17.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    +1

This is exactly what I was thinking. They now have options with the OLB position that they didn't have prior to the draft. If Woodley underperforms again this year, it may be he and his huge contract that is let go, and hungry and potentially cheaper options ( Worilds and Jones ) are playing.
    Don't forget we still have Robinson who looked like a pass rushing fiend in camp. Very raw but so was a guy named Harriosn.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    This pick was made for a number of reasons. Question marks about Worilds being 1. Question marks about Woodley being 2. And absolutely no depth at the position being 3. Add to that number 4, the Steelers were always high on Jones. I think they are happy as hell he was available at 17.
    They were able to select a player that graded as a top 10 1st round selection at 1.17 and he's also rated as the best OLB in the draft. The value is there, the need is there, the only thing that goes against what the Steelers have been doing under Tomlin/Colbert is his age, the Steelers seem to like drafting younger players in round 1.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    there's your +1 post.

"question marks" isn't the same as dissatisfaction... and if Jones beats out either... OR if Woodley comes in out of shape thinking he's going to collect more of that fat contract... you've got a guy in the wings ready to go...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem with Woodley is that cutting him would create a cap hit of something like $14 million. The only option is that he has to get and stay healthy and play at the level he played when he was given the contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to see Wood, World, Timmy, and Jarvis all get on the field together.

Worilds may have been injured quite a bit so far, but he's an athletic freak at LB that just needs a shot. It's really not his fault that both he and Woodley fit a LOLB. Dick can tweak his D to get the best 4 LBs on the field. And you can never have enough fresh pass rushers. DL drops Wood and Harrison into coverage so often so he didn't wear them out. It takes a lot to get after the QB every down.

Heck I even think we've got another great potential pass rusher in Robinson. Rotate Wood and World on the left and Jarvis and Robinson on the right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lets just say Coach Butler woke up this morning with a hard-on and it wasn't because Mrs. Butler was feeling particularly frisky...