Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013: "Contenders" or"Re-building mode"?

Backup

User Info Menu

2013: "Contenders" or"Re-building mode"?

I'm not sure if the FO believes that we are still "Contenders" this year... or are in a "rebuilding mode"..
    I hear a lot of talk on here about the Steelers being in a rebuilding mode... but the off season moves send mixed signals.

First of all.. I think we made mistakes by letting Keenan Lewis and Will Allen go. I think we would get as much production this year out of that combination as we would Troy and Ike. Keeping Allen (and letting Troy go) would allow us to have a solid starter for the next few years at that position (for much less money than Troy), while drafting a safety (to be groomed for that position). Troy is likely going to be out half the year with injuries anyways... and we have no proven backups at the position at this time.

It's my understanding that we have a pile of money tied up into Ike also. Ike's a solid corner, but his best years are behind him.. Keenan Lewis is just coming into his prime, and could have been signed to a long term deal for less money.

If the FO would have played their cards right... we wouldn't have had to be in a rebuilding mode at all...but a "Reloading mode". Simply stated, you let Troy and Ike go.. maybe trade them if there is still a demand for their services elsewhere... maybe get some quality draft picks for them..

You keep Sanders, Allen, Lewis., Max Starks.. Sign the McClain kid from Oakland who just signed with Baltimore for $700K... and you are once again contenders in the AFC. With these moves you don't put added pressure for Rookies to start on day 1.. and have quality starters who can get the job done while getting draft picks valuable experience to add depth and possibly take over as starters the next few years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not sure what Steelers are doing....If they are re-building then why are they letting young players go??? K-Lew should have been playing instead of Ike if they were rebuilding..

I think Baltimore Ravens have owned Steelers FO for last 4-5 years....There drafts are not that great but they have hit jackpot in FA...McKennzie, Boldin, Birk, Boldin, Jacoby Jones..all contributed to their SB win...

I also like their Ronaldo McClain signing....I am pretty sure he will be contributing for them....They did great by signing Dumervile and McClain....
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Backup

User Info Menu

Can you say "2012 Colts"? ... They basically turned over their entire starting offense and started a rookie QB to boot. How did that turn out? I have faith that Colbert and Tomlin will surround Ben with a competitive cast. As far as Sanders, will he be always injury prone?

Backup

User Info Menu

Rebuilding. Too many holes to fill this time. Also you have a doubting Thomas at qb. They should trade Ben or get rid of Haley.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We are in a rebuiding stage which started when we lost James farrior, Hines ward, Aaron Smith, Hoke, and it continues this year and next year as well when Ike,Troy,Clark could be their last year as a Steeler.
    Combine that with James Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Starks, Colone, Mendy, and Sanders it is clear the Steelers are rebuilding their roster.

As far as being contenders, it would be a lot to ask for a team losing so many players and relying on draft picks to fill the void, combined with uncertainty if our current three year players step up.
    Will Ziggy hood, Heyward, Worlids take the next step? Can we be certain Gilbert, Adams fill the left tackle position and our slim receiver corps and lack of run game keep us competitive?

In my mind we still have a team that will be competitive, but how far will that take us considering the players we lost and relying on draft picks? I contend it will take us a few years in order for us to be a playoff caliber team and thats if our draft picks work out and current players step up.

The cap issues and restructuring of contracts hurt us and now we are seeing the results where we don't have enough money under the cap to sign formidable players and sign our own.
    The Steelers tried their best to keep the core players intact up till the 2010 SB with GB where we unfortunately lost, but look at the bright side 2005,2008 SB champs so three Super Bowl appearances in that span would be the envy of other teams.

I'm lookng forward to the draft hoping we can rebuild with the right players that we select, that some may help us in the short term but moreso be a solution in the long term to get us back on top.
    I cheered our Steelers when we were top dogs and I'll continue to cheer them no matter the circumstances, but I do face reality folks, this Steelers team as it stands isn't playoff ready and most likely have to endure some lean years until we climb that mountain again.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are contenders who are rebuilding...it's both. This Steeler team is in desperate need for young talents step up on the field and as leaders. They have lost their identity...they have lost significant talent. With that said, as long as Ben is healthy this is a 10 win team.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We will be contenders until half way through the season when our offensive line starts to get injured, Woodley pulls his hamstring and Worilds has an injury and we have Chris Carter and Robinson starting at OLB, and Troy starts his annual sweatpants modeling gig on the sideline with a calf injury. Then Tomlin will say the standard is the standard and after another .500 season finishes he will say injuries are part of the game and Colbert will act like the media and fans are morons for having the gumption to say something is wrong.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    We are contenders who are rebuilding...it's both. This Steeler team is in desperate need for young talents step up on the field and as leaders. They have lost their identity...they have lost significant talent. With that said, as long as Ben is healthy this is a 10 win team.
    that so hit the nail on the head... as long as Ben is healthy, this is a 10-win team... that's the beauty of a true franchise QB...

As fans, we're spoiled because we expect to be in the running for the SB annually... and with Ben, we always have a chance. With additional good players, this could be a 12 or 13 win team. To an extent, the FO knows they'll be competitive, even if this draft is a total bust. IMO, they're looking for the moves that take this team from a 10-win team to a 13 win team - and that sometimes takes patience.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    well stated Shawn!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A franchise QB with the least supporting cast of his career. I feel sorry for the guy. 10 wins?