Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: quick thoughts draft and sanders

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anybody who is banking on the Steelers hitting on a lot of draft picks and thinking that will be the answer, I think is dreaming. Go back through the drafts and ask yourself how many draft picks usually turn out well in any given draft. Three or Four is a lot. Out of that, the number that will become valuable starting players is lower. That is why I think people who love the idea of getting draft picks for Sanders are deceiving themselves.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Anybody who is banking on the Steelers hitting on a lot of draft picks and thinking that will be the answer, I think is dreaming. Go back through the drafts and ask yourself how many draft picks usually turn out well in any given draft. Three or Four is a lot. Out of that, the number that will become valuable starting players is lower. That is why I think people who love the idea of getting draft picks for Sanders are deceiving themselves.
    Or on the other side of the coin you could end up like Bill Walsh and the 49ers did in the '86 draft. They did their homework and built a powerhouse... Colbert and Tomlin could do the same... This draft is deep after the 1st round...

Backup

User Info Menu

I hope your right Crunch. We sure aren't carrying much in the way of momentum...heading into the draft though... Wouldn't surprise me that much either way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I am hoping we trade back in the draft and get more picks... maybe end up with 3 2nd rounds and 2 3rd rounders...
    With this team's recent track record with second-round picks? Ehh...I'd keep the first-rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger reportedly lobbying Steelers' Sanders

By Kareem Copeland
    Around the League Writer
    Published: April 12, 2013

Ben Roethlisberger has every right to be nervous.

It wasn't long ago that Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were calling themselves the "Young Money Crew." Now they're getting money from other teams.

Wallace took five years and $60 million from the Miami Dolphins and Sanders has signed a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet from the New England Patriots. The Steelers have until Sunday to match the offer or take a third-round pick from the Patriots.

Big Ben has lobbied coach Mike Tomlin and others within the organization to keep Sanders in black and gold, CBS Sports Jason La Canfora reported. Wallace and Sanders combined for 108 catches and 1,462 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Sanders had career-highs in receptions and yards in 2012 and just turned 26 years old.

La Canforna added that the final decision will likely be made by ownership. Roethlisberger might want to take the Rooneys to dinner Saturday night becuase he's quickly running out of weapons.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159483/article/report-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethisberger-lobbying-for-emmanuel-sanders[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

We've got more gaps to fill this year as opposed to last... or the last several for that matter. If the draft is deep in a few positions this year...trading down might be worth the risk, simply because of the lack of depth at multiple positions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Ben is lobbying to keep him, he's as good as gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Exactly. This may be a surprise to a lot of people, but "everybody" wants to trade down. Especially at that point. Anyone in the 10-32 range will be happy to have a trade partner who would give them multiple premium picks (i.e. 1st-3rd) in return.

Don't count on it happening.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Sanders is gone, the Steelers will have 9 draft picks. That should be more than adequate, without having to forgo selecting a Top 20 player in order to generate more picks. 4 picks inside the first 3 rounds- should result in at least 3 of those guys becoming contributors to this team. While there are depth holes, not every position needs to be filled by 2013 rookies. There are other guys on the roster already who should be relied on to step up as well. Guys like Worilds, Cortez Allen, Mike Adams, Cam Heyward.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Exactly. This may be a surprise to a lot of people, but "everybody" wants to trade down. Especially at that point. Anyone in the 10-32 range will be happy to have a trade partner who would give them multiple premium picks (i.e. 1st-3rd) in return.

Don't count on it happening.
    Reports out of Atlanta say they are looking to trade up from their #30 pick to get one of the highly touted CBs. Their GM is willing to wheel and deal as evidenced by the Julio Jones trade up. Could be a candidate if they want to go to #17.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska