Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft RB's

Legend

User Info Menu

Great list. What are the odds on which ones we take? Do we go for a "big power back" or a "verstaile, pass catching RB." IMO Haley prefers the latter which would eliminate some of those you have listed.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

If healthy, Lattimore would be the guy. He reminds me a lot of Eddie George in his running style. The one that surprises me is Christine Michael. He seems to possess the right sum of equal parts speed, balance, and power. He breaks a lot of tackles and appears to be a threat to take it to the house on any carry. Eddy Lacy has the most power of any back in the draft from that highlight reel. That dude absolutely runs through people. A couple of those break away runs would seem to dispute the reports of him running only a 4.58 40. He showed some speed there.

Chadman, here's a guy you forgot though. I think he's not an every down back of course, but he brings exceptional value because he can catch out of the backfield, run out of the backfield and even line up in the slot. This is one game that he was forced into the starting role of RB because of injuries and ineffectiveness of other RBs....

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    If healthy, Lattimore would be the guy. He reminds me a lot of Eddie George in his running style. The one that surprises me is Christine Michael. He seems to possess the right sum of equal parts speed, balance, and power. He breaks a lot of tackles and appears to be a threat to take it to the house on any carry. Eddy Lacy has the most power of any back in the draft from that highlight reel. That dude absolutely runs through people. A couple of those break away runs would seem to dispute the reports of him running only a 4.58 40. He showed some speed there.

Chadman, here's a guy you forgot though. I think he's not an every down back of course, but he brings exceptional value because he can catch out of the backfield, run out of the backfield and even line up in the slot. This is one game that he was forced into the starting role of RB because of injuries and ineffectiveness of other RBs....

Beat me to it. Tavon was a Running back in High school and was then turned into a Slot WR in college by the staff. After the OU game coach Holgerson said, we have probably been playing him at the wrong position these last two years. He is not an every down back, and he should add a little weight to be a back in the NFL, but he is capable I think. He will go to high though for us to take him, and I don't think he is the all around back you want.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman could have added Tavon Austin, but figured that if Austin is being selected in the 1st round, it'll be as a WR, not a project RB.

Chadman personally thinks RB is one of the toughest positions to evaluate for a transition from college to NFL. Simply- most of these schemes & systems won't be used in the NFL like they are in college- and alot of the 'big plays' seem to come about with barely a hand laid on the player, or the RB running through holes you could fit the Death Star into. That won't happen, at least, not on a regular basis, in the NFL. Same with some of the RB catches- plenty of catches where a RB is standing around on his own, scratching his bum & waiting for a pass to come his way- that won't happen in the NFL much either. So a lot of these 'flashy' plays probably have little significance in terms of how the player translates to the NFL.

Chadman tends to look for a few specific things- how does a player react after being arm tackled, do they make players miss in short areas, can they catch on the run, do they pick the right hole to run through in traffic, are they fast enough to go from behind the LOS to 5 yards past the LOS once a break occurs... these sort of things. Even then, these are only highlights, so we see a small sample of their positive plays to work with.

There's a few 'types' of RB to choose from in this draft. You have your:

Big Bruisers:
    Eddie Lacy
    LeVeon Bell
    Marcus Lattimore
    Knile Davis

Well Rounded:
    Christine Michael
    Stephon Taylor
    Montee Ball
    Mike Gillislee
    Rex Burkhead
    Zac Stacy
    Cierre Wood
    Mike James

Jamaal Charles Types:
    Joseph Randle
    Giovanni Bernard
    Andre Ellington
    Kerwynn Williams
    DJ Harper
    Kenjon Barner
    Jawan Jamison
    Johnathan Franklin

The Steelers could use any of these types of RB. Many posters want to label Todd Haley as an OC that wants the Jamaal Charles type RB because of his time in KC, but he also used Thomas Jones (Bruiser) & Tim Hightower (Complete type) & Edgerran James (Complete Back) very effectively in his time at KC & Arizona as well.

In other words- the Steelers could use any 'type' of RB. That said, the Steelers have Jonathan Dwyer (Bruiser) on the books, and will likely have Isaac Redman (Bruiser) as well. And they'll be hoping to have Ahmad Bradshaw on board (Complete type) by draft day.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Honestly, I really like Christine Michael in the 3rd. He was very impressive in the highlight reel you posted Chadman. If we lose Sanders, and get an extra 3rd round pick, I like Michael and Bailey, that'd be pretty sweet right there.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm a huge fan of Bernard who will likely go early in the second. He has that rare burst to go along with good vision, pass receiving skills, lateral agility, and surprising power for his size. He is in the Ray Rice mold (a little less physical, but faster).

Chadman, I actually think you can put Bernard in the more well-rounded group.
    Last edited by steelblood; 04-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now, in Chadman's opinion, here's a few things about the RB's on displayJ Harper Boise St- Jamaal Charles type- First things first- looks to be in the game around the End Zone a bit. Not afraid to run through the muck- doesn't kick all his runs outside. Not afraid to run into tacklers, mixed results. Plenty of runs from an I-Formation, which he will see in the NFL. Sends a lot of his runs to outside the OT, doesn't appear to be 'fast' so much as quick. Doesn't lose speed much when cutting off either feet. Good acceleration, but seems his deeper speed is marginal. Doesn't appear to be hit near the LOS very often- might mean a lot of these big plays are more a result of the OL.Andre Ellington Clemson- Jamaal Charles type- Runs from Shotgun or Singleback formation prominantly. Nice catch on the first clip, but the next few plays are not really NFL plays. Next couple of run plays after that show him weaving through traffic at the LOS. Unlike Harper, Ellington needs to avoid defenders, and does it well with agility. Lots of sweeps & cuts to outside the OT, using his speed/acceleration more than his ability to work through defenders. Doesn't look like he has long speed. When he does play between the tackles, does a good job of avoiding direct hits & keeps moving at speed. Looks like he catches very naturally. Seems able to break arm tackles.Stephon Taylor Stanford- Complete RB type- Runs hard & naturally. Difficult to put down with one tackle. Very stuttery when changing direction- might be better served being taught to cut once & go. Plenty of hits around the LOS for him to work through. Doesn't seem to lose speed deep (although he timed slow at Pro Day & Combine- doesn't LOOK slow), Seems to find his blocks in traffic well. Plenty of End Zone runs from I-Formation. Follows blocks well. Looks like he runs strong & with aggression. Eddie Lacy Alabama- Big bruiser- Obviously benefits from a great OL- doesn't look to be hit with any type of force before the LOS. Does a good job of finding the hole. Runs with power & looks hard to stop 1-on-1. His change of direction looks slow. Even when running downfield, it's amazing how many good blocks he gets. Might be he knows how to follow his blockers very well. When he stutter-steps before changing direction, he just about stops.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Admittedly, I haven't watched all these vids. in fact, I didn't watch a single one just now (likely will later). Having said that, I've seen footage on about 1/3 to 1/2 of the list, just doing Armchair Scouting.
    Here are a few I've seen mentioned with the Steelers and my own take from video watching... These are in order

Marcus Lattimore - IMO, a healthy Lattimore is a top 15 pick. If it meant spending a 3rd round pick, I'd take that guy without hesitation, even if it meant him starting the season on the PUP list... We sometimes forget how solid the backs on this team were. They were good enough that Tomlin felt comfortable benching Mendy - and they actually did fine. Redman and Dwyer are sufficient for the short-term.

Eddie Lacy - This guy is a good fit for the Steelers team. Good power, good vision, reasonable speed (no, he's not a 4.4 guy, but, truth be told, neither was Bettis and he is one of our favorite backs of all time). I wouldn't be upset if the team took him. HOWEVER, I don't see that he's significantly better than the next 2 below, that you could probably get in the 3rd round, instead of the irst round. Think fantasy football and Value Based Drafting. That's why there are questions on whether he's a day1 RB. While he's possibly the top RB in this draft class, it's not by much...

Montee Ball - There's a reason this guy had ridiculous stats with "adequate, but, not great" speed. Best vision/patience combination I've seen by any RB in this class. I'd be good with him as the pick. In fact, I'd think the team pulled a coup deville... err, d'etat. I don't need a guy who will take it 80 yards to the house, as long as I have a guy who will take it 5 yards for the first down, when needed.

LeVeon Bell - looks to be solid and a good for for the Steelers. Good power, good vision and a jump cut, which I've said before, is crazy for a guy his size... My worry with him is he appears to be the type of back that 5 years in may be 250 and we're looking for another RB

Christine Michael - Decent speed, decent power, but, i wasn't a fan of his vision/patience. Seemed to be a guy who runs exactly where the play is designed, even if there was a hole one quick cut over. Not quite as fast, but, reminded me of watching a young Willie Parker.

Stephon Taylor - perhaps the most underrated RB in this class. I happened to watch one of their games (against Wisconsin) and thought, "hmm, he may be better than this Ball kid". He's not, but, dang close. Very "complete" skill set, not great at anything, but, not bad at anything either.

Knile Davis - one-cut back with great speed. Probably best for a zone blocking scheme. Not much "wiggle" - often, he will "stop... redirect... start" rather than "juke"... I know you have him listed with the power backs, but iirc, isn't he "average size" (like 210-215)?

Of the rest, maybe i was in a bad mood when i watched Randle's video... it was among the first i watched this offseason... Anyway, i came away thinking, "sure he's got decent speed, but, why is he among the top 5 RB's this offseason?" With that, I also plan to go back and re-watch his, along with Bernard, Ellington and had been planning on watching Barner & Franklin.
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 04-12-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman could have added Tavon Austin, but figured that if Austin is being selected in the 1st round, it'll be as a WR, not a project RB.

Chadman personally thinks RB is one of the toughest positions to evaluate for a transition from college to NFL. Simply- most of these schemes & systems won't be used in the NFL like they are in college- and alot of the 'big plays' seem to come about with barely a hand laid on the player, or the RB running through holes you could fit the Death Star into. That won't happen, at least, not on a regular basis, in the NFL. Same with some of the RB catches- plenty of catches where a RB is standing around on his own, scratching his bum & waiting for a pass to come his way- that won't happen in the NFL much either. So a lot of these 'flashy' plays probably have little significance in terms of how the player translates to the NFL.

Chadman tends to look for a few specific things- how does a player react after being arm tackled, do they make players miss in short areas, can they catch on the run, do they pick the right hole to run through in traffic, are they fast enough to go from behind the LOS to 5 yards past the LOS once a break occurs... these sort of things. Even then, these are only highlights, so we see a small sample of their positive plays to work with.

There's a few 'types' of RB to choose from in this draft. You have your:

Big Bruisers:
    Eddie Lacy
    LeVeon Bell
    Marcus Lattimore
    Knile Davis

Well Rounded:
    Christine Michael
    Stephon Taylor
    Montee Ball
    Mike Gillislee
    Rex Burkhead
    Zac Stacy
    Cierre Wood
    Mike James

Jamaal Charles Types:
    Joseph Randle
    Giovanni Bernard
    Andre Ellington
    Kerwynn Williams
    DJ Harper
    Kenjon Barner
    Jawan Jamison
    Johnathan Franklin

The Steelers could use any of these types of RB. Many posters want to label Todd Haley as an OC that wants the Jamaal Charles type RB because of his time in KC, but he also used Thomas Jones (Bruiser) & Tim Hightower (Complete type) & Edgerran James (Complete Back) very effectively in his time at KC & Arizona as well.

In other words- the Steelers could use any 'type' of RB. That said, the Steelers have Jonathan Dwyer (Bruiser) on the books, and will likely have Isaac Redman (Bruiser) as well. And they'll be hoping to have Ahmad Bradshaw on board (Complete type) by draft day.

Jawan Jamison and Christine Michael are the ones who intrique me the most. Seem like the multi-purpose backs Haley could use.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LeVeon Bell has really surprising agility and speed. I think he is STILL underrated. I think he will go in the late 2nd round. He is not the typical Big Ten Plodder. He is an NFL sized back with the athleticism to be a mid-level feature guy.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.