Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    It's not a big loss, but the cumulative effect of what has gone on this off season will leave an offense needing to fill the following positions, #1 WR, #3 WR, #1 RB and #1 TE not to mention an offensive line that was often injured last year. Fans hope DeCastro is everything they've heard, Gilbert injured more Steelers than opponents, Starks isn't coming back, colon is gone, Adams showed some signs, bur was injured as well, Foster and Pouncey were constant. The offense didn't need to replace another player, but it certainly looks as if that is the case.

Not to mention this almost forces them into a WR at 1.17 and certainly by 2.49 a WR has to be taken and then one later in the draft. Brown, Cotchery, Burris, practice squad receivers and rookies is a losing proposition in my book in a league that is pass happy.

It's going to be a long 2 years (maybe longer) for the black and gold, IMO.

Pappy
    I followed and pulled for this team through the 80's. I can do it again if needed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Reckon Sanders is gone.

While it will mean the Steelers likely need to draft a WR in the first 2-3 rounds, the Steelers will still need to find a starter opposite Brown. Cotchery isn't that guy, and Burress is a situational guy at this point.

What's Randy Moss' number?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Keep Sanders we know what we have in him.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Keep Sanders we know what we have in him.
    I agree, there is a reason Bellicheat is willing to give up a late 3rd round pick for him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

That being said, this is now an opportunity to revamp the WR's into Haley-style WR's. And with strong draft depth at WR & safety, the Steelers could sink the 1st round pick into a different 'area of want' like LB or along the lines, then pick up a WR or safety in round 2 and 3.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, there is a reason Bellicheat is willing to give up a late 3rd round pick for him.
    Because the Patriots suck at developing their own WRs?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    forget the money.

what has sanders done to earn an extension?

I'm not seeing this as a big loss if it goes down.

Are you kidding, Wallace is gone Heath isn't expected to play early on and now Sanders. I disagree, it is a loss in that it weakens our offense something that we were supposed to upgrade. If people expect rookies to come in here and make up the difference your mistaken, it takes time to adjust to the NFL and learning the playbook.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I think I'd chose an up and coming young player that proved he can play in the league over a 3rd round draft pick that has a 30% chance of ever becoming a starter. The Pats probably know the success rate of 3rd round draft picks and are choosing to take their chances by attempting to sign Sanders. If the finances are there the Steelers will probably match the Pats offer.
    Sure for this year, but we are talking about one year for Sanders vs four years for a third round pick. Sanders is a good player, but he is not elite and he has an extensive injury history. This is a really close call, imho. I'd probably let him walk.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not about a one year deal. the steelers have to decide if they want sanders long term and are willing to lock him up in the next few months. If so, match the deal and work out a 5 year contract. if not, let him go take the pick. we have not been drafting very high the last few years due to our success, yet we were able to find 3 quality WR's through the draft. none of these guys are irreplaceable. if you want them long term, you make the deal. if you don't, you let others make the deal and get some compensation out of it.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I want Sanders here but I thought long & hard about the situation. The whole outcome will be based on if the Steelers have any intentions of keeping Sanders here past 2013 regardless of his 2013 production. If they have no intentions, they will take the pick. Sign Breaston/Lloyd, sign Bradshaw, and draft a couple WRs & another RB. The "All Cut" team for 2013...KC on the hotseat? Losing Wallace & Sanders will hurt...Never thought it was possible in an offseason...But they may think a "bridge" of Brown, Burress, Cotchery, Breaston/Lloyd, and a couple of rookies can get them by. They may think a Gilreath, Moore, Moye, or Reed may surprise...Because they would certainly surprise the hell out of me.

If Sanders has a 70/1,100 6TDs season, They won't invest in him. Even with that type of production, he won't get a big enough contract in the market to get a 3rd round comp. If he puts up a 50/800 3TDs or misses games due to injury...That 3rd round pick could of provided great value....Not to mention everyone in here calling for KC's head.

I want to win & think the SAFER way to go is match but long term ramifications may be better with the 3rd. What an offseason.

This upcoming draft and the 1 or 2 FA signings that MAY happen over the next couple weeks could make or break the great KC reputation. I mean think about it. Rub that crystal ball and go mid season where the Steelers could be a 5-3 team tied in the AFC North. You can hear the announcer calling KC a genius. Losing 8 potential starters to FA/Cuts and starting the season without Heath Miller....Being right in the thick of things midseason. Plugging in vets, draft choices in waiting, and rookies to continue & be a contender. Unfortunately, I can see another side appear in that crystal ball where the Steelers are 3-5 and the announcer is saying it was inevitable after losing 8 potential starters to FA/Cuts and starting the season without Heath Miller. Has it been smart decisions or just plain luck over the years. You start getting the feeling the luck is gonna run out here real soon.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 04-11-2013 at 09:36 AM.