Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree 100%. Sanders is poised for a breakout year... highly doubtful we'll get his kind of production out of a 3rd round pick, at least in the near term. If we are truley building for the future as some are implying, we should be keeping guys like sanders and lewis, and dumping guys like Ike Taylor and Troy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is there any good news for our Steelers?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Teams can plan for long term situations and short term situations. The Steelers have done well because they have short term and long term plans. Sanders can be in the plans for the Steelers and Pats in the short term or long term. Short term for one team this season. Sanders long term future will depend on how well he performs this season.

Teams never know what will get out of a 3rd round pick. Most 3rd round picks never become starters. The Steelers and Pats don't have 3 to 4 years to wait for a 3rd round pick to develop because of the situation at QB.
    Sanders value depends on Haley's (The Rooney's) plan for this offense. Bruce Arians is no longer here. We airing it out like his days with Arizona, or run heavy like KC? Probably somewhere in the middle. The way I see it is we are screwed either way.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really hope the steelers take the pick.

sanders is a decent player, but he will never be an exceptional one. You can easily replace his production via FA and the draft. This team is not built for next year, so it makes even more sense to let him walk and thank the pats*** for hastening the roster makeover. I like sanders, but he hasn't shown enough to even warrant an extension and certainly not one with much guaranteed money.

this one is a no brainer, IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

When the original rumors of a 1 year, $4 million deal with the Devil...err...I mean Patriots, was floating about, I thought it was a no brainer...let him go, gain a 3rd round pick and recoup the $1.3 million we were giving him as an RFA tender. Considering our cap woes, an extra $2.7 million to keep a guy for one more year wasn't worth it, considering that we were getting solid compensation in return.

However, now that we know it's a 1 year, $2.5 million deal, now it's more borderline. We are currently $2 million under the cap, so we wouldn't need to cut or restructure anyone in order to give Manny an extra $1.2 million to keep him around. Although that would only leave us with $800K worth of breathing space, we still have an extra $5 million to look forward to come June when Colon's money comes off the books (allowing us to be able to sign our draft class).

So, really it comes down to whether or not the front office feels that Sanders is a part of their future or not. If plans are to sign him long-term, then keep him (if you think about it...if Antonio Brown is worth $8 million per year, then Sanders is actually still somewhat of a bargain at $2.5 million). If the team thinks that he's more me-first than team-first, then you cut bait and get a quality day two pick in return. Truthfully, I won't be upset either way. I can understand the reasoning on both sides. We were going to have to decide whether or not Sanders was in our long-term plans or not next offseason anyway...New England's involvement just means that we get to make that same decision a year earlier, with the extra added bonus of a 3rd round pick if we decide to go in another direction.

If we do decide to let him go, here's another possibly option...good ol' Nate Washington. Tennessee signed him to a big money deal 4 years ago, but now they have Kenny Britt and Kendall Wright as their starters, so Nate is making too much to be a #3 guy. He's been shopped around, but there have been no takers at his salary, so he'll likely be cut loose after the draft if Tennessee picks a suitable #3 guy in the middle rounds. He's 29 years old and still has speed (averaged 16.2 yards per catch last year). He's not a volume receiver (in 3 out of his 4 years in Tennessee he had 40-something catches...with one 74 catch, 1023 yard season in 2011), but he does still have a knack for the big play (scoring 6, 6, 7, and 4 TD's in each of those season for the Titans).

My current mock (crafted before the Sanders RFA signing) is as follows:
    1.17 Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia, 6'2" 245
    2.48 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1" 214
    3.79 Philip Thomas, FS, Fresno State, 6'1" 208
    4.115 Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 5’11” 221
    5.150 A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State, 6’1” 250
    6.186 J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell, 6'4" 307
    6.206 (comp) Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State, 5'11" 209
    7.223 Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa, 6’0” 197

If we let Manny go, then I would make the following minor change:
    1.17 Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia, 6'2" 245
    2.48 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1" 214
    3.79 Philip Thomas, FS, Fresno State, 6'1" 208
    3.91 Barrett Jones, G/C, Alabama 6'5" 306
    4.115 Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 5’11” 221
    5.150 A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State, 6’1” 250
    6.186 Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon 6'3" 217
    6.206 (comp) Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State, 5'11" 209
    7.223 Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa, 6’0” 197
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this could be a good deal for both sides. Manny's not the type of WR that Ben needs. But pair up Manny with Tom Brady and I bet he looks like Marvin Harrison.

Can we just go get Ben a big WR like he asked for many years ago. It's like the Steelers don't want to do anything to make Ben happy. Does he need protection, nah. Does he need a big target, nah. Should we let him have an OC he likes, nah. Should we try to win more SuperBowls since we have a franchise QB, nah.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think this could be a good deal for both sides. Manny's not the type of WR that Ben needs. But pair up Manny with Tom Brady and I bet he looks like Marvin Harrison.

Can we just go get Ben a big WR like he asked for many years ago. It's like the Steelers don't want to do anything to make Ben happy. Does he need protection, nah. Does he need a big target, nah. Should we let him have an OC he likes, nah. Should we try to win more SuperBowls since we have a franchise QB, nah.
    Big receiver = Eifert or Erntz
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Is there any good news for our Steelers?
    It doesn't seem so lately. My only comfort is that the greater the obstacles are, the greater the victory will be. Everybody is down on the Steelers right now. In the past, that has been when they have been the most dangerous. We'll get to see if that kind of fortitude still exists with this group.

Backup

User Info Menu

Hate to say it, but it's all going to come down to injuries again this year. There is still enough talent on that team (if healthy) to make a run deep into the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Hate to say it, but it's all going to come down to injuries again this year. There is still enough talent on that team (if healthy) to make a run deep into the playoffs.
    I would really like to think that way, because it gives something to hope for on the season. And if Ben stays healthy for 16 games, who knows what he can pull off.

At the same time, I'm struggling with being optimistic for this season. We've lost so much that it seems like an impossible task. If Tomlin and the Steelers find a way to pull off any kind of playoff run (that doesn't involve a first round loss to Tebow), Tomlin will have earned a truckload of respect.

We've lost:
    -Wallace
    -Likely Sanders
    -Heath probably won't be 100% for a while
    -Max
    -Colon (addition by subtraction here?)
    -Mendenhall (another additoin by subtraction?)
    -Harrison
    -Lewis
    -Hampton

We're going to look a LOT different come September.