Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Jury is out as to whether Haley will do any better than BA, but he gets one more season to prove himself.
    Every new coordinator deserves at least three seasons to prove himself, especially if his system is vastly different from the old one. During the first season, all the new coordinator can do is make a couple of draft picks and spend time figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of his players relative to his system. It's not until the second season that he can really put his fingerprints on the team, because he'll have two drafts to get the kinds of players he wants, and also get rid of those who he considers unsuitable for his system. By the third season, his unit of the team will have matured into what he wanted all along.

Consider Dom Capers as the defensive coordinator for the Packers. He was inheriting a stout 4-3 defense that was good enough to help the Packers finish 13-3 and get to the NFC Championship Game in 2007. Capers is a 3-4 defensive coordinator, though, so a fundamental change in the offense was inevitable. During his first season (2008), the defense regressed dramatically, and was the primary reason the Packers fell to 6-10. But by his second season (2009), the defense rebounded after he was able to acquire more of the players he wanted and get rid of the guys who were incapable of playing in a 3-4 defense. The Packers had solidified the defense enough that they finished 11-5 and made the playoffs again. By the third season (2010), the defense was now entirely his, and it was one of the best, most opportunistic defenses in the NFL that season, and they won Super Bowl XLV. (The only reason it's regressed since is because they miss Nick Collins and need to find a new FS.)

This off-season is Todd Haley's time to mold the offense more to his liking. As we can see based on the amount of roster turnover on offense, there are many players who weren't good fits for his, and they're all gone now. Four of them were starters. Any time you have four starters who aren't a good fit for an offense (or a defense, for that matter), it's probably going to be inconsistent, just as the Steelers offense was last season. Let's see how it does now that Haley's taking a more active role in shaping it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If the Steelers intend to keep Sanders wouldn't it be better to give him a long term deal now than just match the offer sheet of N.E.?
    They could reduce his base pay through a signing bonus so it wouldn't effect the cap as much right?
    We could probably work out a long term deal now that would be less than it would cost next season especially if he has a strong year, and maintain some stability in the receiver corps.

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger reportedly wants Steelers to keep Sanders

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    Already, there are [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/12/steelers-shouldnt-match-offer-for-sanders/"]plenty of good reasons[/URL] for the Steelers to not match the one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet signed by receiver[URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5885/emmanuel-sanders"]Emmanuel Sanders[/URL] with the Patriots.
    Here’s another:
    [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger"]Ben Roethlisberger[/URL] wants the Steelers to match.
    According to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, Roethlisberger
    [URL="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/322853589640945664"]has been lobbying[/URL] coach Mike Tomlin and members of the coaching staff to keep Sanders. That’s fine, but Roethlisberger isn’t the General Manager, or anyone else in a position of influence when it comes to personnel.
    Roethlisberger
    [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2008/10/18/a-sweed-debut/"]had lobbied for a tall receiver[/URL] for years, pissing off in the process vertically-challenged (but highly skilled) pass catchers like Hines Ward. (The Steelers eventually burned a second-round pick Limas Sweed, who was long on body but short on talent.)
    Roethlisberger also wanted to keep offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, whom the Steelers “retired” in 2012. Arians became the offensive coordinator in Indy, the interim head coach when Chuck Pagano was undergoing cancer treatments, and ultimately the 2012 Associated Press coach of the year.

Then again, maybe the Steelers should listen to everything Roethlisberger suggests.
    Guess we know where Ben's lot of the 50/50 ballot is....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Yeah, but your version is dull and only reuses Chadman's clever amalgamation of Crash's multiple personalities.
    Got me there...

By the way, whatever happened to Crashiggy, anyways? Seems as though he likes to show up for two or three weeks, then he's gone for months... Don't always agree with him, but he keeps the board lively...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

These last several posts have been quality discussion, what this board has been built upon and what has made it so good.

Seems to me that when Hines, Farrior, and Smith left, that leadership at the team level being gone, and with a change in the offense at OC and the new schemes, the lid came off with some of these young money players, especially at WR. It seemed to me that the sense of commitment and "all in" gave way to some "me first" attitude and behavior. The players own some of this, and so does the HC and his staff.

My point of view is that Tomlin and the coaching staff (particularly the HC) have done a mediocre job of managing the young players. Mendenhall, while he offended the values and sensibilities of people with his twitter posts and some other behaviors of questionable judgement, was (is) a young player who was not well managed or developed by he coaches. I think the Mendenhall would thrive in the zone blocking scheme that is to be implemented this season.

Mendy's offenses seem small to me, compared with Ta'amu's offenses. One is gone and one is still on the team.

Also, I think if the FO valued the opinions of the coaching staff sufficiently, and if to coaching staff is competent, they could have seen what they had in Keenan Lewis and locked him into a long-term deal at what would now seem like a bargain price before the beginning of last season. This could apply to Mike Wallace two years back, and maybe to Sanders, too. All those players could help us this year, and in years to come. Now we will have to draft to replace some of them.

Following the exodus of young talent, they best find ways to lock in the good young talent that remains (Cortez Allen in particular), or we could be looking up at three teams in our division for some years to come.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    If the Steelers intend to keep Sanders wouldn't it be better to give him a long term deal now than just match the offer sheet of N.E.?
    They could reduce his base pay through a signing bonus so it wouldn't effect the cap as much right?
    We could probably work out a long term deal now that would be less than it would cost next season especially if he has a strong year, and maintain some stability in the receiver corps.
    I would think the Steelers ought to be able to sign him to a reasonable long-term deal...the question is, do they want to? I think it would be a smart move. A receiver with his strengths should be a vital piece of Haley's offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Guess we know where Ben's lot of the 50/50 ballot is....
    Ben wanting someone to stay is the nail in the coffin for that player. Although we can always get him back in a year if he Ocho Stinkos it up in NE.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    These last several posts have been quality discussion, what this board has been built upon and what has made it so good.

Seems to me that when Hines, Farrior, and Smith left, that leadership at the team level being gone, and with a change in the offense at OC and the new schemes, the lid came off with some of these young money players, especially at WR. It seemed to me that the sense of commitment and "all in" gave way to some "me first" attitude and behavior. The players own some of this, and so does the HC and his staff.

My point of view is that Tomlin and the coaching staff (particularly the HC) have done a mediocre job of managing the young players. Mendenhall, while he offended the values and sensibilities of people with his twitter posts and some other behaviors of questionable judgement, was (is) a young player who was not well managed or developed by he coaches. I think the Mendenhall would thrive in the zone blocking scheme that is to be implemented this season.

Mendy's offenses seem small to me, compared with Ta'amu's offenses. One is gone and one is still on the team.

Also, I think if the FO valued the opinions of the coaching staff sufficiently, and if to coaching staff is competent, they could have seen what they had in Keenan Lewis and locked him into a long-term deal at what would now seem like a bargain price before the beginning of last season. This could apply to Mike Wallace two years back, and maybe to Sanders, too. All those players could help us this year, and in years to come. Now we will have to draft to replace some of them.

Following the exodus of young talent, they best find ways to lock in the good young talent that remains (Cortez Allen in particular), or we could be looking up at three teams in our division for some years to come.

I just don't get why players like Keisel, Foote, Roethlisberger even...haven't stepped up and try to take leadership. They are ones that should be.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It looks like most fans favor getting N.E.'s third round pick while the Steelers decide the case to keep him or let him walk.
    Having another pick in the third round may look appealing on the surface but I'm not sure it's the best way to go at this point since we already are thin at the WR spot.

By retaining Sanders we have an experinced WR who knows the system as opposed to relying on a rookie, Plax, and Cotchery plus opposing defenses will try and put double coverage on Brown and take him out of the offense much like they did when we had Wallace.
    Remember, Cotchery and Plax haven't had much playing tme in Haley's offense and if defenses are successful taking Brown out of the offense it's going to be difficult maintaining consistency.

Maybe I'm alone here but I would like to see the Steelers work out a long term deal and have some stability at that position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I just don't get why players like Keisel, Foote, Roethlisberger even...haven't stepped up and try to take leadership. They are ones that should be.
    Maybe the players you mentioned aren't as good at leading as those who've departed...perhaps they don't command enough respect...it could be that they're not cut out to be leaders...or even that they just don't want to be leaders...

I don't think leadership is something you can force on a player, or necessarily expect from him because of his talent, seniority, or experience...otherwise, Troy Polamalu ought to be a team leader...but I don't think he is.