Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Sign him and then extend him before training camp.

with what money?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

forget the money.

what has sanders done to earn an extension?

I'm not seeing this as a big loss if it goes down.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    everybody wants to pony up the extra money to keep sanders. why, so he can leave next yea via wallace?
    everybody wants to pony up the extra money to keep sanders. how, by restructuring more bad contracts so we can be in the same situation we are in now?
    everybody wants to pony up the extra money for sanders and extend him. how, we barely have any money now, a new deal will most definitely cost us more than the one year matching offer.
    i say take the pick.
    Well, you're right. It's one of those chess instead of checkers sort-of deals. Matching the deal assumes that Manny will play up to the ability people think he has. If he does (i.e. solid #2 WR or low #1 WR, which we heard from someone... I think even Ben), he will command a big deal. And if that is the case, we have to know how much money we will have to spend on him.

Me not-knowing the cap situation next year, I'd say that we should let him go and take the salary-cap jail that we've imposed upon ourselves. But it's not cut/dried as the other "take the 3rd round pick and let the door hit him on the way out" people want to make it seem.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[url]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9157456[/url]

comments by Hoge about Ben and this matter, and how it might effect him.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 04-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When throwing around WR in rounds 2 through 4 why is Ryan Swope and his blazing speed and good hands never mentioned?
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 04-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    forget the money.

what has sanders done to earn an extension?

I'm not seeing this as a big loss if it goes down.
    It's not a big loss, but the cumulative effect of what has gone on this off season will leave an offense needing to fill the following positions, #1 WR, #3 WR, #1 RB and #1 TE not to mention an offensive line that was often injured last year. Fans hope DeCastro is everything they've heard, Gilbert injured more Steelers than opponents, Starks isn't coming back, colon is gone, Adams showed some signs, bur was injured as well, Foster and Pouncey were constant. The offense didn't need to replace another player, but it certainly looks as if that is the case.

Not to mention this almost forces them into a WR at 1.17 and certainly by 2.49 a WR has to be taken and then one later in the draft. Brown, Cotchery, Burris, practice squad receivers and rookies is a losing proposition in my book in a league that is pass happy.

It's going to be a long 2 years (maybe longer) for the black and gold, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I think I'd chose an up and coming young player that proved he can play in the league over a 3rd round draft pick that has a 30% chance of ever becoming a starter. The Pats probably know the success rate of 3rd round draft picks and are choosing to take their chances by attempting to sign Sanders. If the finances are there the Steelers will probably match the Pats offer.

I agree Burgh. The fail rate on rookie NFL WRs is too high to risk letting Sanders go. The price is modest for his potential. The Steelers need to focus on other priorities in this draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers should start talking to small school and late round projected WR's that could go under after and play up that they should sign with us as we need WR's.
    @_Hellgrammite

Administrator

User Info Menu

I have mixed feelings about it. I would love the extra 3rd but this team is weak in some many areas that I don't think we can afford to lose Sanders as well.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    with what money?
    The Steelers FO think it's more important to keep Ike for 9.5 million. Elite Money to an old CB that isn't a playmaker and is on the downside of his career.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.