Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Backup

User Info Menu

Philly, I understand your thoughts on the extra cap space... and the lame duck scenario. I'm not sure if a number quality #2 receiver is easily replaced though in the near term..especially with what they are getting in return (#3 rd draft pick).

Lots of interesting conversation in this thread. Been enjoyable to follow.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't mind a 3rd pick but my biggest worry is Big Ben will have only AB84, Cotchery and Plex as WR....He will have to develop chemistry with rookie WRs again...

Also he won't have Heath at the start of the season....Plus a new LT....

Rb scenario is in big limbo

Too many changes on the offensive side...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The more I think about this situation, the more I lean toward letting Manny walk to New England. The Steelers would basically be renting a player for a year because if he has a solid season the Steelers will not be able to retain him anyway. They have extensions coming up the are going to be needed for Ben, Pouncey, Allen, McClendon, Hood and Miller if healthy. Where in the pecking order would Manny actually fall in that scenario? Obviously now WR becomes much more of a need and would probably be our first round pick. I would take Allen or Hopkins to be honest and then get a safety in the 2nd. Then the Steelers can add a RB and OL in the third, plus another WR later on. If the Steelers have a good draft this move could really help.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Philly, I understand your thoughts on the extra cap space... and the lame duck scenario. I'm not sure if a number quality #2 receiver is easily replaced though in the near term..especially with what they are getting in return (#3 rd draft pick).

Lots of interesting conversation in this thread. Been enjoyable to follow.
    I understand that perspective, but I'm not sure that I see Sanders as a quality #2. In the games that Brown was out (and his game as a co-starter), here are his stats:

2 rec, 30 yards
    3 rec, 82 yards
    5 rec, 75 yards
    5 rec, 60 yards

Looking at that, I'm underwhelmed. And looking at his career stats, no 100 yard games. During the rest of 2013, he did not exceed 5 catches or 56 yards. He just has not produced at a level where I think he will be difficult to replace. With just about any rookie or with Cotchery/Burress, there is likely to be a dropoff to some extent early in the year, but I don't think it is anything that cannot be overcome. I guess I just don't see Sanders as a difference maker at all.

Backup

User Info Menu

Doesn't look like too bad of stats to me.. Sanders has shown some flashes of greatness in his young career. Will take longer than a year to replace him in my opinion...especially with Wallace gone. I wouldn't be so worried about it if we had depth at the position..

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Think of it this way, for those who oppose giving Sanders away...it frees up cap space to sign free agents (such as Ahmad Bradshaw, Steve Breaston, ect.) AND gives an extra third rounder..so just draft Steadman Bailey..boom. We are getting more out of getting rid of Sanders instead of keeping him.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Think of it this way, for those who oppose giving Sanders away...it frees up cap space to sign free agents (such as Ahmad Bradshaw, Steve Breaston, ect.) AND gives an extra third rounder..so just draft Steadman Bailey..boom. We are getting more out of getting rid of Sanders instead of keeping him.
    Those are possibilities. I guess we'll know a year from now whether it worked out lol

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

when has sanders shown "flashes of greatness"?

he has been a decent player, but nothing special.

Backup

User Info Menu

Special enough for New England to want to sign him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

that doesn't cut a lot of ice with me. Says more about their strike outs at WR and losing welker. Also, they are built to contend now more so than the steelers. The move makes sense for them in that regard.

sanders isnt special and very easily replaced.