Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 170

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

  1. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    that doesn't cut a lot of ice with me. Says more about their strike outs at WR and losing welker. Also, they are built to contend now more so than the steelers. The move makes sense for them in that regard.

    sanders isnt special and very easily replaced.
    I guess time will tell. I think you are overstating things by saying he'll be easily replaced. Let's see what kind of numbers he's able to put up with Brady this year... and have this conversation in early 2014.

  2. #132
    and I think you are grossly overstating sanders when you say he has shown flashes of greatness.

  3. #133
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,551
    I was a huge SANDERS fan until last season and his 2 costly fumbles (especially the Ravens game). I started to question his BIG TIME/BIG GAME ability in light of his "Flashes of greatness"
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  4. #134
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If the coaches want him, he's gone. If the front office wants him, then he'll stay. I think there's this unspoken FU to Tomlin and staff like there's been toward Ben for the last few years.

    Everyone seems to think Wally and Mendy were the disgruntled locker room cancers. But I'm starting to think there's a bigger cancer and it's between the owner, coaches, and Ben. This team chemistry thing is bigger than the players. And it might turn out ok with old man Rooney back his break in Ireland.

    I don't think it's just a coincidence that things starts busting apart at the seams when he left.
    Flippy- this sounds dangerously close to what Crashiggy used to say (although, far more confrontationally), and what Chadman suggested earlier this off season when nearly everyone on here wanted to put the foot into Wallace & call him the biggest problem this team had.

    For Chadman- and this is opinion only based on rumours & media reporting- The FO wanted Bruce Arians gone in 2011. Tomlin went in to bat for him, and pulled a rabbit out of the hat in order to keep Arians around. Why the FO wanted Arians out in 2011 is not decided, but there was plenty of speculation that it was the case. Was it because of the whole "Ben is getting bigger than the team" theory, and the FO thought that by removing Arians, they might control Ben & his ego/locker room power easier? Perhaps. But we won't know for sure, ever. It was also being widely reported that Rooney wanted a stronger reliance on the run game in Pittsburgh.

    In 2012, the "Arians issue" came up again, and this time Arians was removed, much the the mostly aknowledged chagrin of Ben, but also the rumoured/reported chagrin of Tomlin, who didn't want him gone. Let's face it, at the sign-off of the 2011 season, Tomlin said to the media he didn't forsee ANY changes to his coaching staff, even after reporters asked him directly about Arians.

    Todd Haley is brought in- a renowned confrontationalist- presumably to 'keep Ben in line'. Now, for Chadman- Haley is about as innocent a victim as we are likely to see. He's walked into a team that didn't want the old OC gone, and now looks to be facing not only a QB who isn't happy with him, but possibly a HC as well. Add to that what appeared to be a few other key Offensive players not buying the system, for whatever reasons.

    During 2012 we had a few concerning issues- the Wallace non-contract, and the subsequent signing of Antonio Brown- arguably a direct FU to Wallace for not signing what the FO thought was reasonable (after all, Brown wasn't even an UFA or RFA at that point). Ben was continually talking to the papers about Haley's offense- not necessarily attacking it, but always bringing it up- making it an issue. The lack of ball control on the field spoke volumes to the level of dedication from the players. The "Cleveland Fumble-a-thon Debacle" was the pinnacle of our Steelers lack of dedication in 2012, and in what is STILL a confusing, head-scratching decision, the team elects to 'rest' (read- punish) Rashard Mendenhall (2 fumbles vs Browns) in the next game, but lets other offenders- Antonio Brown, Jonathan Dwyer, Issac Redman, Manny Sanders & Chris Rainey- off without any sort of 'rest' (punishment). Then we have an 'unnamed source' bagging Woodley's conditioning. Then we have Ryan Clark calling out the 'unnamed source'. Then poster-boy Brown tells the media the locker-room is fractured, only for his GM Kevin Colbert to then tell the media that Brown is wrong.

    Guys that Tomlin brought in & relied on- Wallace, Mendenahall, Lewis- are let go in FA without an offer extended to them by the Steelers. And now with Sanders potentially leaving, we have poster-boy coming out to the media, essentially telling everyone Sanders is gone because he isn't doing things the way the Steelers like players to do things. Nice way to tip the hat to every other club.

    Chadman thinks Flippy is right- there is something not right between the FO & Coaches, and that is filtering down throughout the rest of the team. Maybe Old Man Rooney can sort it out, because like Crashiggy, chadman has doubts about the younger Rooney's ability to let football men make football decisions.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  5. #135
    IMHO, Chadman, Flippy, Crashiggy, et al, are drumming up drama where there is none. The FO is at odds with Tomlin? Art is taking over the football operations? The only reason we're hearing this kind of stuff is because the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs (well, we'd likely hear it from Crashiggy regardless).

    Arians was shipped out because the O was underperforming. It was time for a change. Tomlin himself said he was down with the decision. I don't think he's a liar. Jury is out as to whether Haley will do any better than BA, but he gets one more season to prove himself.

  6. #136
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    IMHO, Chadman, Flippy, Crashiggy, et al, are drumming up drama where there is none. The FO is at odds with Tomlin? Art is taking over the football operations? The only reason we're hearing this kind of stuff is because the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs (well, we'd likely hear it from Crashiggy regardless).

    Arians was shipped out because the O was underperforming. It was time for a change. Tomlin himself said he was down with the decision. I don't think he's a liar. Jury is out as to whether Haley will do any better than BA, but he gets one more season to prove himself.
    Yeah, but your version is dull and only reuses Chadman's clever amalgamation of Crash's multiple personalities.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  7. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    and I think you are grossly overstating sanders when you say he has shown flashes of greatness.
    Not really. If you remember... Sanders cracked the lineup prior to Antonio Brown. Brown started getting his reps when Sanders went down with an injury. Sanders has made some great plays for this team, and has shown the "Flashes" that I spoke of. Whether or not he is easily replaceable is yet to be seen. Talent wise, the steelers may be able to find someone this year... as far as learning the system and getting reps with offense (to be productive)... not as likely.

  8. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I was a huge SANDERS fan until last season and his 2 costly fumbles (especially the Ravens game). I started to question his BIG TIME/BIG GAME ability in light of his "Flashes of greatness"
    I agree.. he had a costly turnover or two... Same could be said for Antonio Brown, Ben throwing the two game ending pics late in the season... the combined 7-8 turnovers against Cleveland.. I don't think eny of them are exempt from the turnover deal.

  9. #139
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    I agree.. he had a costly turnover or two... Same could be said for Antonio Brown, Ben throwing the two game ending pics late in the season... the combined 7-8 turnovers against Cleveland.. I don't think eny of them are exempt from the turnover deal.
    I could be wrong, but I think many are thinking of the turnover to touch ratio. Manny would have had fewer touches than AB, but still the same amount of turnovers. Obviously Ben touches the ball more than anyone, so he is more likely to have at least a few mistakes.

  10. #140
    agree with your thoughts on Ben... still doesn't excuse the piss poor decision making late in the year that cost us a shot in the playoffs. We should get more production/better decision making in those situations out of a 9 year vet.

    Was not making any comparisions on the turnover to touch ratio... simply stating that they are all prone to turnovers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •