Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 170

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Because the Patriots suck at developing their own WRs?
    Per ESPN: The Patriots’ track record of drafting and developing receivers out of college is shaky. Having seen three years of Sanders in the NFL probably gives the club more comfort in making this move, which reminds us of something Belichick said at the NFL’s annual meeting in March: “As I’ve said many times before, I think the college passing game is a lot different than the [pro] passing game -- pass protection, pass rush, pass execution and pass defense. We all look at the same film. We’re all trying to evaluate the same players. But it’s a lot easier to watch a guy in the NFL perform and translate his skills for your team than watch a guy in college perform because of the discrepancy in the passing game. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s just the way it is.’’ http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...-sanders-offer

  2. #62
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,559
    I'm torn here. I was very excited about SANDERS coming out of college. This will be a business decision at the end of the day. Is he worth adding more cap stress to the team only to end up gone next year w/ no compensation??? Or do the Steelers have big plans for SANDERS this season in the offense??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  3. #63
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,993
    Based on the past 20 years the Steelers may as well let him walk. Except for Hines Ward the Steelers don't seem to be willing to pay a receiver a second contract. They must believe that they can find suitable WRs in the draft and get enough production from a rookie to continually allow WRs to seek fame and fortune elsewhere. Over the past 20 years here is a list of Wrs and their tenure with the Steelers (to the best of my knowledge and quick research).

    Hines Ward - 14
    Yancey Thigpen - 6
    Ernie MIlls - 6
    Charles Johnson - 5
    Plaxico Burress - 5 (initial stint)
    Blackwell - 5
    Holmes - 4
    Wallace - 4
    Washington - 4
    Hastings - 4
    Hawkins - 4
    Edwards - 3
    Wolson - 3
    Sanders - 3 ??

    Why would they start now with Sanders? Clearly, the Steelers do not value the WR position as a high priority and I believe their philosophy is to have a stable a capable WRs without a superstar WR eating up cap space. I'm not saying that Sanders is a superstar WR, but they probably believe that they can find his production in the draft. IMO, he's a Patriot and the Steelers will not match the offer sheet, he would be a UFA next year and they certainly aren't paying big dollars to keep him. I'm wondering why they jumped the gun on Brown?

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  4. #64
    Sanders three year stats: 40 games - 94 catches - 1,290 yards - 5 TDs

    Steve Breaston's last three years: 39 games - 115 catches - 1,577 yards - 3 TDs

    Who would you sign one year? Can you get Breaston for less than $2.5 million?

  5. #65
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Sanders three year stats: 40 games - 94 catches - 1,290 yards - 5 TDs

    Steve Breaston's last three years: 39 games - 115 catches - 1,577 yards - 3 TDs

    Who would you sign one year? Can you get Breaston for less than $2.5 million?
    There it is and Breaston can handle KR/PR, correct? You would think Breaston's numbers will go up because of Ben. He had no one throwing the ball to him in Arizona.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Sanders three year stats: 40 games - 94 catches - 1,290 yards - 5 TDs

    Steve Breaston's last three years: 39 games - 115 catches - 1,577 yards - 3 TDs

    Who would you sign one year? Can you get Breaston for less than $2.5 million?
    Great comparison, although I will say the one difference is that Sanders is younger with potential upside while Breaston's performance has probably peaked. When you add Breaston + a 3rd round pick or Sanders, I would take Breaston (if he is healthy) and it is not close.

    Put differently, a starting duo of Sanders/Brown is not going to scare a defense any more than a duo of Breaston/Plax or whoever and Brown. The Steelers were likely to draft another WR anyway. And they have a good track record there, aside from Limas Sweed. The third gives them another opportunity to add youth elsewhere.

    Also, if Sanders leaves, the Steelers will have back-to-back seasons with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. That should help to add youth to both sides of the ball.

  7. #67
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Sanders three year stats: 40 games - 94 catches - 1,290 yards - 5 TDs

    Steve Breaston's last three years: 39 games - 115 catches - 1,577 yards - 3 TDs

    Who would you sign one year? Can you get Breaston for less than $2.5 million?
    I think they could get Breaston in here for 1-1.5 mil. Possibly even vet min. The good thing is a Bradshaw, Breaston, Lloyd, does not impact the comp picks next year. Also, any one of those you get to sign for min has a cap deduction.



  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Great comparison, although I will say the one difference is that Sanders is younger with potential upside while Breaston's performance has probably peaked. When you add Breaston + a 3rd round pick or Sanders, I would take Breaston (if he is healthy) and it is not close.
    Sanders is younger with more potential upside...but, if it's a one year contract, who cares about potential upside? If the Steelers are that interested in Sanders' potential upside, match the offer and extend him...

    Otherwise, buh-bye...

  9. #69
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,459
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Great comparison, although I will say the one difference is that Sanders is younger with potential upside while Breaston's performance has probably peaked. When you add Breaston + a 3rd round pick or Sanders, I would take Breaston (if he is healthy) and it is not close.

    Put differently, a starting duo of Sanders/Brown is not going to scare a defense any more than a duo of Breaston/Plax or whoever and Brown. The Steelers were likely to draft another WR anyway. And they have a good track record there, aside from Limas Sweed. The third gives them another opportunity to add youth elsewhere.

    Also, if Sanders leaves, the Steelers will have back-to-back seasons with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. That should help to add youth to both sides of the ball.
    And I think that line of thinking is being shared within the front office. I don't think "Long Term" is penciled in next to Sanders name no matter what type of season he has in 2013 So getting the comp in this years draft gets you the most return on your lost investment.

    I believe Bradshaw & Sanders are tied together now. The monies they will tie up in Sanders for 2013 to match could realistically net them 2 potential starters. Bradshaw being one. Breaston/LLoyd may be the other. If they let Sanders leave and they sign 2...They would be in a better sitaution going into the draft where there would be no panic to pull the trigger early at a position. If they miss at WR in the 1st...There is great depth in the 2nd & 3rd that could net you a starter. Same with RB in the 2nd. No need to pull the trigger unless someone they didn't expect falls. Rds 3 & 4 are filled with quality and even later. I expected them to take a WR with Sanders and I expect them to take a RB even if they sign Bradshaw. Hate to see Sanders go but if I we are going to say goodbye to him anyway after 2013...Give me a 3rd and hopefully Breaston/Lloyd can fill the void. Pile on a rookie or two & I think we may just take a lateral step.



  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    And I think that line of thinking is being shared within the front office. I don't think "Long Term" is penciled in next to Sanders name no matter what type of season he has in 2013 So getting the comp in this years draft gets you the most return on your lost investment.

    I believe Bradshaw & Sanders are tied together now. The monies they will tie up in Sanders for 2013 to match could realistically net them 2 potential starters. Bradshaw being one. Breaston/LLoyd may be the other. If they let Sanders leave and they sign 2...They would be in a better sitaution going into the draft where there would be no panic to pull the trigger early at a position. If they miss at WR in the 1st...There is great depth in the 2nd & 3rd that could net you a starter. Same with RB in the 2nd. No need to pull the trigger unless someone they didn't expect falls. Rds 3 & 4 are filled with quality and even later. I expected them to take a WR with Sanders and I expect them to take a RB even if they sign Bradshaw. Hate to see Sanders go but if I we are going to say goodbye to him anyway after 2013...Give me a 3rd and hopefully Breaston/Lloyd can fill the void. Pile on a rookie or two & I think we may just take a lateral step.
    Really good point about potentially adding two starters. If the options are:

    Sanders

    or

    Bradshaw
    Lloyd/Breaston
    3rd Round Pick

    It's really not even close.

    I would be very surprised if Sanders signed long term with the Steelers. It would not surprise me if he has a side deal worked out with the Pats* already for a longer deal, and I can see him wanting more than what the Steelers will offer. And, if he is not signable or in the long term plans, even though there might be a slight downgrade this year, I'd let him walk and recoup value while that is still an option.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •