Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

That being said, this is now an opportunity to revamp the WR's into Haley-style WR's. And with strong draft depth at WR & safety, the Steelers could sink the 1st round pick into a different 'area of want' like LB or along the lines, then pick up a WR or safety in round 2 and 3.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, there is a reason Bellicheat is willing to give up a late 3rd round pick for him.
    Because the Patriots suck at developing their own WRs?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Because the Patriots suck at developing their own WRs?
    Per ESPN: The Patriots’ track record of drafting and developing receivers out of college is shaky. Having seen three years of Sanders in the NFL probably gives the club more comfort in making this move, which reminds us of something Belichick said at the NFL’s annual meeting in March: “As I’ve said many times before, I think the college passing game is a lot different than the [pro] passing game -- pass protection, pass rush, pass execution and pass defense. We all look at the same film. We’re all trying to evaluate the same players. But it’s a lot easier to watch a guy in the NFL perform and translate his skills for your team than watch a guy in college perform because of the discrepancy in the passing game. It’s nobody’s fault. That’s just the way it is.’’ [URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741960/analysis-emmanuel-sanders-offer[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not about a one year deal. the steelers have to decide if they want sanders long term and are willing to lock him up in the next few months. If so, match the deal and work out a 5 year contract. if not, let him go take the pick. we have not been drafting very high the last few years due to our success, yet we were able to find 3 quality WR's through the draft. none of these guys are irreplaceable. if you want them long term, you make the deal. if you don't, you let others make the deal and get some compensation out of it.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I want Sanders here but I thought long & hard about the situation. The whole outcome will be based on if the Steelers have any intentions of keeping Sanders here past 2013 regardless of his 2013 production. If they have no intentions, they will take the pick. Sign Breaston/Lloyd, sign Bradshaw, and draft a couple WRs & another RB. The "All Cut" team for 2013...KC on the hotseat? Losing Wallace & Sanders will hurt...Never thought it was possible in an offseason...But they may think a "bridge" of Brown, Burress, Cotchery, Breaston/Lloyd, and a couple of rookies can get them by. They may think a Gilreath, Moore, Moye, or Reed may surprise...Because they would certainly surprise the hell out of me.

If Sanders has a 70/1,100 6TDs season, They won't invest in him. Even with that type of production, he won't get a big enough contract in the market to get a 3rd round comp. If he puts up a 50/800 3TDs or misses games due to injury...That 3rd round pick could of provided great value....Not to mention everyone in here calling for KC's head.

I want to win & think the SAFER way to go is match but long term ramifications may be better with the 3rd. What an offseason.

This upcoming draft and the 1 or 2 FA signings that MAY happen over the next couple weeks could make or break the great KC reputation. I mean think about it. Rub that crystal ball and go mid season where the Steelers could be a 5-3 team tied in the AFC North. You can hear the announcer calling KC a genius. Losing 8 potential starters to FA/Cuts and starting the season without Heath Miller....Being right in the thick of things midseason. Plugging in vets, draft choices in waiting, and rookies to continue & be a contender. Unfortunately, I can see another side appear in that crystal ball where the Steelers are 3-5 and the announcer is saying it was inevitable after losing 8 potential starters to FA/Cuts and starting the season without Heath Miller. Has it been smart decisions or just plain luck over the years. You start getting the feeling the luck is gonna run out here real soon.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 04-11-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm torn here. I was very excited about SANDERS coming out of college. This will be a business decision at the end of the day. Is he worth adding more cap stress to the team only to end up gone next year w/ no compensation??? Or do the Steelers have big plans for SANDERS this season in the offense??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Based on the past 20 years the Steelers may as well let him walk. Except for Hines Ward the Steelers don't seem to be willing to pay a receiver a second contract. They must believe that they can find suitable WRs in the draft and get enough production from a rookie to continually allow WRs to seek fame and fortune elsewhere. Over the past 20 years here is a list of Wrs and their tenure with the Steelers (to the best of my knowledge and quick research).

Hines Ward - 14
    Yancey Thigpen - 6
    Ernie MIlls - 6
    Charles Johnson - 5
    Plaxico Burress - 5 (initial stint)
    Blackwell - 5
    Holmes - 4
    Wallace - 4
    Washington - 4
    Hastings - 4
    Hawkins - 4
    Edwards - 3
    Wolson - 3
    Sanders - 3 ??

Why would they start now with Sanders? Clearly, the Steelers do not value the WR position as a high priority and I believe their philosophy is to have a stable a capable WRs without a superstar WR eating up cap space. I'm not saying that Sanders is a superstar WR, but they probably believe that they can find his production in the draft. IMO, he's a Patriot and the Steelers will not match the offer sheet, he would be a UFA next year and they certainly aren't paying big dollars to keep him. I'm wondering why they jumped the gun on Brown?

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Sanders three year stats: 40 games - 94 catches - 1,290 yards - 5 TDs

Steve Breaston's last three years: 39 games - 115 catches - 1,577 yards - 3 TDs

Who would you sign one year? Can you get Breaston for less than $2.5 million?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

There it is and Breaston can handle KR/PR, correct? You would think Breaston's numbers will go up because of Ben. He had no one throwing the ball to him in Arizona.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Great comparison, although I will say the one difference is that Sanders is younger with potential upside while Breaston's performance has probably peaked. When you add Breaston + a 3rd round pick or Sanders, I would take Breaston (if he is healthy) and it is not close.

Put differently, a starting duo of Sanders/Brown is not going to scare a defense any more than a duo of Breaston/Plax or whoever and Brown. The Steelers were likely to draft another WR anyway. And they have a good track record there, aside from Limas Sweed. The third gives them another opportunity to add youth elsewhere.

Also, if Sanders leaves, the Steelers will have back-to-back seasons with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. That should help to add youth to both sides of the ball.