Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Sanders

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Is there any good news for our Steelers?
    We'll likely have a Top 12 draft pick next year

Seriously, everyone just needs to embrace the idea this is a transition year to get a lot of things moving in the right direction like our cap problems and the age of the team. IMO 2013 isn't going to be a great year but it will set us up for the future which is what we need.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Seriously, everyone just needs to embrace the idea this is a transition year to get a lot of things moving in the right direction like our cap problems and the age of the team. IMO 2013 isn't going to be a great year but it will set us up for the future which is what we need.
    Going down this line of thinking, How many more years does Ben play? 6 or less? When do we really start thinking about the next great Steeler QB?
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This may be more than a one year transition as it takes time for draft picks to develope, and in the meantime the eventual departure of Clark,Troy,Keisel,Taylor to name a few. We may not be able to replace all these players fast enough while Ben is aging.
    If we wind up getting a top 12 pick in the draft next year, I would think it would be the right time to get our future QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When the original rumors of a 1 year, $4 million deal with the Devil...err...I mean Patriots, was floating about, I thought it was a no brainer...let him go, gain a 3rd round pick and recoup the $1.3 million we were giving him as an RFA tender. Considering our cap woes, an extra $2.7 million to keep a guy for one more year wasn't worth it, considering that we were getting solid compensation in return.

However, now that we know it's a 1 year, $2.5 million deal, now it's more borderline. We are currently $2 million under the cap, so we wouldn't need to cut or restructure anyone in order to give Manny an extra $1.2 million to keep him around. Although that would only leave us with $800K worth of breathing space, we still have an extra $5 million to look forward to come June when Colon's money comes off the books (allowing us to be able to sign our draft class).

So, really it comes down to whether or not the front office feels that Sanders is a part of their future or not. If plans are to sign him long-term, then keep him (if you think about it...if Antonio Brown is worth $8 million per year, then Sanders is actually still somewhat of a bargain at $2.5 million). If the team thinks that he's more me-first than team-first, then you cut bait and get a quality day two pick in return. Truthfully, I won't be upset either way. I can understand the reasoning on both sides. We were going to have to decide whether or not Sanders was in our long-term plans or not next offseason anyway...New England's involvement just means that we get to make that same decision a year earlier, with the extra added bonus of a 3rd round pick if we decide to go in another direction.

If we do decide to let him go, here's another possibly option...good ol' Nate Washington. Tennessee signed him to a big money deal 4 years ago, but now they have Kenny Britt and Kendall Wright as their starters, so Nate is making too much to be a #3 guy. He's been shopped around, but there have been no takers at his salary, so he'll likely be cut loose after the draft if Tennessee picks a suitable #3 guy in the middle rounds. He's 29 years old and still has speed (averaged 16.2 yards per catch last year). He's not a volume receiver (in 3 out of his 4 years in Tennessee he had 40-something catches...with one 74 catch, 1023 yard season in 2011), but he does still have a knack for the big play (scoring 6, 6, 7, and 4 TD's in each of those season for the Titans).

My current mock (crafted before the Sanders RFA signing) is as follows:
    1.17 Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia, 6'2" 245
    2.48 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1" 214
    3.79 Philip Thomas, FS, Fresno State, 6'1" 208
    4.115 Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 5’11” 221
    5.150 A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State, 6’1” 250
    6.186 J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell, 6'4" 307
    6.206 (comp) Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State, 5'11" 209
    7.223 Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa, 6’0” 197

If we let Manny go, then I would make the following minor change:
    1.17 Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia, 6'2" 245
    2.48 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson, 6'1" 214
    3.79 Philip Thomas, FS, Fresno State, 6'1" 208
    3.91 Barrett Jones, G/C, Alabama 6'5" 306
    4.115 Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina, 5’11” 221
    5.150 A.J. Klein, ILB, Iowa State, 6’1” 250
    6.186 Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon 6'3" 217
    6.206 (comp) Earl Wolff, SS, North Carolina State, 5'11" 209
    7.223 Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa, 6’0” 197
    You are 100% right...It is about if the Steelers plans are long term with Sanders. They need to ask themsleves, if Sanders has a70/1,100 6TDs year, Will they try and retain him? If the answer is yes..You consider matching. But here is my twist to the whole situation. Year 1 has to match the offer sheet. If they want him in the long term plans...You bring him in NOW and set him & his agent down. Before you match you talk about an extension this year. You know the Pats have done this based upon the 1 year offer sheet. You see where they are right now before the 2013 season for a long term extension. See where they draw the line now and you will have a better idea of the "If we can afford him" part. Maybe the Pats devalued him and if the staff has great confidence in him...The Steelers can do the long term and get him at a bargain. Might be worth the risk. The other side of the process would be you can see if the Pats inflated his value even before his 2013 season. In this case, even though you want Sanders long term...You may now know you won't be able to come to terms & you don't match. Take the pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    I agree 100%. Sanders is poised for a breakout year... highly doubtful we'll get his kind of production out of a 3rd round pick, at least in the near term. If we are truley building for the future as some are implying, we should be keeping guys like sanders and lewis, and dumping guys like Ike Taylor and Troy.
    Offensive skill players can get on the field faster once they get the playbook down. That 3rd round pick isn't the replacement necessarily. They could use a 1st or 2nd too. Just consider this. Holmes was a 1st and came in and played in 16 games starting 4 with 49/824 his rookie year. Wallace was a 3rd and came in and played in 16 games starting 4 with 39/756 his rookie year. Sanders a 3rd pitched in 28/376 his rookie year. You can get production from a rookie WR...If you don't miss. You are correct, if Sanders stays healthy this should be his most produtive year to date. The hinge to all of this is where he fits in next year regardless of what he does in 2013. If he isn't in their plans...They need to take the pick and just move on a year earlier. The odds are good that a vet FA and/or Rookie will give you equal production in 2013 and you get compensation for your lost investment.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Offensive skill players can get on the field faster once they get the playbook down. That 3rd round pick isn't the replacement necessarily. They could use a 1st or 2nd too. Just consider this. Holmes was a 1st and came in and played in 16 games starting 4 with 49/824 his rookie year. Wallace was a 3rd and came in and played in 16 games starting 4 with 39/756 his rookie year. Sanders a 3rd pitched in 28/376 his rookie year. You can get production from a rookie WR...If you don't miss. You are correct, if Sanders stays healthy this should be his most produtive year to date. The hinge to all of this is where he fits in next year regardless of what he does in 2013. If he isn't in their plans...They need to take the pick and just move on a year earlier. The odds are good that a vet FA and/or Rookie will give you equal production in 2013 and you get compensation for your lost investment.
    Defensive players should be able to get on the field early too. They do it all over the NFL. Only one person is preventing that from happening in Pittsburgh.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Defensive players should be able to get on the field early too. They do it all over the NFL. Only one person is preventing that from happening in Pittsburgh.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!
    'nuff said.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They do around the NFL but there are some plugged in early who don't do anything and some that watch from the sideline. A one gap DL can get on the field because when he picks up the play book he can pin his ears back & go. Then many will jump on the "GO to 4-3" argument then. For as easy as it is to get those DL on the field it is difficult to find the LBs behind them. Look at the Steelers roster. They have one NFL caliber 4-3 LB who would excel. The next closest thing to a 4-3 LB on the roster is Rolle and he didn't play a snap for the Steelers. If & when Spence gets healthy you may have another but you see the process.

If there no "star" in front of them...Steelers Defensive players aren't getting on the field because the can't grasp assignment. Yes...It has alot to do with the DL scheme but that is just the reality of it. Will Butler's D be the same if he is the next man? Who knows. Many should have seen an example of it last year when Victorian & Golden were forced on to the field. Yes they were both undrafted and there were better athletes on the sideline. But apparently they were the furthest along with the DL IQ and there were many times you could see they were caught thinking on plays. The issue won't be forced because the drop off in production can't be recovered. DL would rather have 11 guys on the field in the right place at the right time than 11 great athletes not knowing where to be. The dreaded DL "BE safe than sorry" Defense. It keeps working not matter how many times we throw dirt on him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    'nuff said.
    If you are referring to me Jooser I never played fantasy football in my life. 'nuff said

Legend

User Info Menu

There is a very simple reason why offensive players see the field earlier. When you run multiple WR sets, there are more opportunities for WRs to see the field early. For, example, an OLB, there are fewer defensive formations with multiple OLBs. And you are not going to sit guys like Woodley and Harrison to play somebody before they are young.

You repeat the same crap in every thread (this one about a WR), but you've never once provided a scintilla of support for your positions, which you state as known facts. To the contrary, you repeatedly ignore that young players who adapt early and show they are ready (like Cortez Allen) play early.