Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Safety Position the Steelers greatest need on defense ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Safety becomes less of a problem filling when we go to a 4-3 Cover 2. You don't need a player like Troy with his unique abilities then.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

I see one mid round and one late round safety coming in... class is deep enough that guys taken R1/2 last year would be 3's this year. Good value.

Saw some early mocks project Robert Lester from 'Bama as the second or third best safety last year if he'd come out in the Mark Barron then nobody else class of '12. Now he's projecting as a 5th rounder. Should've jumped.

Saw an interesting proposition (regrettably can't remember who the poster was to give proper credit) here on the board about moving Ike over after Clark leaves. Good tackler, knows the defense, plenty fast, enough size... keep the knowledge and leadership on the roster, extend his career, and find a corner early and a depth safety late in the draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Saw an interesting proposition (regrettably can't remember who the poster was to give proper credit) here on the board about moving Ike over after Clark leaves. Good tackler, knows the defense, plenty fast, enough size... keep the knowledge and leadership on the roster, extend his career, and find a corner early and a depth safety late in the draft.
    The problem I see with moving Ike to safety is he isn't very good playing the ball in the air. That is not a good quality for a safety. Ike is great at shadowing receivers so the QBs don't throw as much in his direction but when they do Ike is just not good at reacting to the ball ... especially the deep pass.

Since this draft is very deep in safeties I think the Steelers need to choose at least one. Of course then we will have to listen to the LeBeau detractors complain that the safety is sitting on the bench -- even though they should sit behind Troy and Clark.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would say CB has a slight edge over S as a greater need. Just because Allen is unknown as a starter. And if Ike or Allen go down with injury our backups at the position are not very good. The same can be said for safety as Golden is virtually unproven as well. You know what you got with Clark and Polamalu. And you know what you have with Ike. But with this being Allen's 1st year starting, I would give the edge to CB. I definitely feel both positions should be picked in the first three rounds.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Safety is a need but not the greatest...Troy could play for 2-3 years...Golden is another one to watch out for. Lebeau and Tomlin are very high on him...

Steelers can load Safeties in mid-round and start them. This draft is loaded with good safeties.
    When was the last time Troy had a healthy season? As much as I like Golden, he is more than unproven at this junction.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

agreed. Troy is sure to miss at least half the year... so you may as well pencil in golden as the starter.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Safety is clearly the greatest Steeler need. The Steelers will need to fill two spots in short order. Troy and Clark are big shoes to fill.
    I think you misspoke here dude. How can it be our greatest need? We have a future HOF, and a guy coming off his best season yet. Granted, both have obviously question marks, but we have a lot more needs than Safety at this point. Personally, I'm way more concerned about our pedestrian D-line, our combination of laissez-faire Tackles (o-line), and no defined "@s$-kicker" on defense (i.e. Lloyd-->Porter-->Harrison).

Legend

User Info Menu

Finding Troy & Clark's eventual replacements doesn't necessarily require 2 top round draft picks, as the role they are asked to perform does not require them both to be as athletic as, say, Troy Polamalu.

But certainly one of the 2 will want to be an upper echelon type player.

Wouldn't surprise if a Round 2 pick is used on one of the 2 safety positions, with maybe a 5th or 6th spent on a thumper-type.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Phillip Thomas in the second would be great!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When was the last time Troy had a healthy season? As much as I like Golden, he is more than unproven at this junction.
    2011....but I get the point

2012 - 7 games
    2011 - 16 games
    2010 - 14 games
    2009 - 5 games
    2008 - 16 games
    2007 - 11 games
    2006 - 13 games