Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are these players so highly rated?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post

One look at his overall performance as a receiver says to me....no big. Rather average. 46 receptions for 778 yards and 5 TD's. I see major warning signs and a very high risk for using a high pick on that.
    sure.. if you look at his stats he would be considered average.. but if you look at the tape and the combine numbers it's a no-brainer.

There is a risk but I don't think there are warning signs or a big red flag...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Hung up on stats too much.

Anyone that SAYS they watch Patterson and don't know why he is graded where he is has no eyes for God Given Ability. By far, could be the most impact WR in this draft. Has what can't be taught and what he does lack can be taught. The only question surrrounding Patterson is why Jr college? How is his football IQ. None of us will have that answer but you can be sure them teams already do. When you are a skill player you have to be able to create at the next level to seperate yourself if you want to be a gamechanger. Allen is the only one out of himself Patterson & Austin that doesn't have that unique athletic ability but can bring other things to the table in his development.

Floyd is the #1 DT in this draft. The premium on DT may cause him to be overdrafted but if you are in the Top 10 & want a DT he is the one you go get. The tape tells his tale, not his stats.

I will bunch Jordan & Mingo together and say two things...Gifted Potential. When you get pass rushers with their movement skills & the tape that goes with it...They rise up the boards as they go through the process. Jordan is a plug & play 4-3 DE or a possible 3-4 OLB with great upside. Mingo might have the highest ceiling for a 3-4 OLB but he will need time to develop and gain strength.

Projecting a player into the NFL isn't black & white, what were his stats, and what conference did he play in. I find it very comical that the player who you were highest on for a long time is not on this list. A player who screams "what have you done" but you failed to put him on here because you were so high on him. Where's Ansah? Ansah didn't exist until his Senior year. Only a one year starter. Yet...He isn't on your list. Hmmmm..Interesting. To be fair though...He fits the same label as Jordan. A plug & play 4-3 DE with great upside. I personally feel Jordan may go before Ansah because of his experience but I believe Ansah has more upside. You should include everyone that fits the mold. Not just the guys of posters that disagree with you and forget about the guys you like.
    It's not just about stats but at some point doesn't a highly rated prospect have to have performed on the field at a high level? Otherwise we're looking at Darius Heyward-Bey. He pretty much put up the same numbers as Cordarrell Patterson and he too blew it up at his work outs.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not just about stats but at some point doesn't a highly rated prospect have to have performed on the field at a high level? Otherwise we're looking at Darius Heyward-Bey. He pretty much put up the same numbers as Cordarrell Patterson and he too blew it up at his work outs.
    That is where you may be a little foggy Dub. I had Patterson in one of my first Mock in Jan or Feb. He wasn't a secret that blew up at the combine. Once he declared he was projected high. It wasn't his workout that blew him up...It was his tape. I said back then he will be the 1st WR taken and I stand by that. His workouts just solidifies what I saw on the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

correct me if I'm wrong but Megatron didn't have the most impressive numbers in college

Legend

User Info Menu

I never heard of Darius before the combine numbers... I think anyone who watched SEC football knew Patterson was the truth before the combine.

Patterson made an impact vs NC State in their opener... this isnt some combine workout warrior who just showed up at the combine and shot up the board. The combine simply re-enforced what the scouts already predicted

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but Megatron didn't have the most impressive numbers in college
    Again, with Patterson, it isnt just the stats. He has only played division 1 football all of 1 year. Calvin Johnson played 3 years...oh and he did put up impressive numbers.

Calvin Johnson's last year at Georgia Tech---76 Rec. 1202 yards 15 rec. TD's
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Again, with Patterson, it isnt just the stats. He has only played division 1 football all of 1 year. Calvin Johnson played 3 years...oh and he did put up impressive numbers.

Calvin Johnson's last year at Georgia Tech---76 Rec. 1202 yards 15 rec. TD's
    Dub, you sit here and preach stats about every one of your players and then you go & say it isn't about stats for any other argument. You preach SEC and here is a player who put up great stats in the SEC. So when does your argument become the right argument? Your guy Allen was only a 61/737 12 AVG 6 TD guy in 9 games last year. He had a great year in '11. That doesn't cast a shadow on his production.

Since you like the stats...I will give you all the stats & rankings you want.

In 23 games JUCO:
    Rushing: 39/398 10.9 AVG 6 TDS
    Receiving: 113/1832 16.2 AVG 24 TDS
    KR/PR: 31/1127 6 TDS

Impressive numbers. Jr College level of competition? OK...But then he comes to your "All mighty" SEC for 1 year.
    In 12 games @ TN:
    Rushing: 25/308 12.3 AVG 3 TDS
    Receiving: 46/778 16.9 AVG 5 TDS
    KR: 25/671 26.8 AVG 1 TD
    PR: 4/101 25.3 AVG 1 TD

Ranked:
    1st SEC - 16th Nation for All purpose yards per game.
    1st SEC - 14th Nation 30 yards+ All Purpose Play
    1st SEC - 1st Nation PR AVG (Non Qualifier)
    1st SEC - 16th Nation KR AVG
    5th SEC - 28th Nation RCPT AVG
    1st SEC - 1st Nation Rush AVG (Non Qualifier)
    11th SEC RCV Yards Per game (Hunter was 3rd)
    14th SEC RCPTS
    12th SEC RCPTS Per game
    11th SEC Yards
    13th SEC Scoring
    11th SEC Yards from Scrimmage
    7th SEC 10 yards+ Plays from Scrimmage
    9th SEC 10 yards+ Receptions

Only 1 year in the SEC...That's right....But I would say those numbers squash the argument. What would you think his numbers would be if Hunter wasn't on that team? With Hunter, Bray, Thomas & Rivera leaving and a New HC...He made the right decision to come out. Patterson on tape stands out when he is on the field. He is a playmaker & threat any time he gets the balls in his hands. He will need to sharpen his route running but that will only add to his play. His numbers & tape tells the tale & Patterson more than likely will be the 1st WR selected.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    He is a playmaker & threat any time he gets the balls in his hands.
    I apologize for being so immature that everything is a sexual innuendo...