Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are these players so highly rated?

Legend

User Info Menu

What is obvious is that LB (both ILB & OLB), RB & the Safety positions have completely dominated the visits. Would not be surprised if we see a Defense heavy draft coming up.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Dee Dub;557751]This thread ask you to explain why based on what he did on the field. Can you do that?

One year at division 1 he gets 46 receptions for 778 yards and 5 TD's. That is obvious to you?[/QUO

He also had Tyler Bray throwing the football to him.. when he gets his hands on the football he is deadly. He had 10 TD's total, KO, PR... and a ton of hghlights making 4 and 5 guys miss. Size, speed, hands... and he isnt too proud too admit his weakness running routes and reading defenses.

One look at his highlight tape..along with his combine numbers and its easy to see why he is rated so high.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Wouldn't panic yet Thor- the 29 you mention from Walterfootball includes chats at Pro Days, Combine & East West Shrine games...not actual VISITS to the Steelers HQ, which is the '30' the Steelers are allowed.

As far as Chadman can tell, against the 30 are:

John Simon OLB Ohio St (Does he count? Local?)
    Malliciah Goodman OLB Clemson
    Mike Mauti ILB Penn St
    Jonathon Franklin RB UCLA
    Josh Boyce WR TCU
    Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St
    Duke Williams SS Nevada
    Khaseem Greene ILB Rutgers
    Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
    Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
    Jamie Collins OLB Souther Mississippi
    Jonathan Meeks SS Clemson
    Vince Williams ILB Florida St

That's all so far- 13. Still have 17 to go.
    Thanks Chadman,

Guess I had a premature evaluation
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Thanks Chadman,

Guess I had a premature evaluation
    That's ok- it's a more common problem amongst posters than we feel comfortable talking about...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=feltdizz;557783]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This thread ask you to explain why based on what he did on the field. Can you do that?

One year at division 1 he gets 46 receptions for 778 yards and 5 TD's. That is obvious to you?[/QUO

He also had Tyler Bray throwing the football to him.. when he gets his hands on the football he is deadly. He had 10 TD's total, KO, PR... and a ton of hghlights making 4 and 5 guys miss. Size, speed, hands... and he isnt too proud too admit his weakness running routes and reading defenses.

One look at his highlight tape..along with his combine numbers and its easy to see why he is rated so high.
    One look at his overall performance as a receiver says to me....no big. Rather average. 46 receptions for 778 yards and 5 TD's. I see major warning signs and a very high risk for using a high pick on that.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=feltdizz;557783]
    This thread ask you to explain why based on what he did on the field. Can you do that?

This... I think that the highlight tape is what does it for Patterson. I think people see the playmaking ability with the ball in his hands and forget about having to run routes and the other things that elite WR need to do.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Wouldn't panic yet Thor- the 29 you mention from Walterfootball includes chats at Pro Days, Combine & East West Shrine games...not actual VISITS to the Steelers HQ, which is the '30' the Steelers are allowed.

As far as Chadman can tell, against the 30 are:

John Simon OLB Ohio St (Does he count? Local?)
    Malliciah Goodman OLB Clemson
    Mike Mauti ILB Penn St
    Jonathon Franklin RB UCLA
    Josh Boyce WR TCU
    Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St
    Duke Williams SS Nevada
    Khaseem Greene ILB Rutgers
    Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
    Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
    Jamie Collins OLB Souther Mississippi
    Jonathan Meeks SS Clemson
    Vince Williams ILB Florida St

That's all so far- 13. Still have 17 to go.
    Does Mauti from Penn St. count, or is he considered a local?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Shariff Floyd (good player and did have some production but why is he a top 5 pick?)
    Cordarrell Patterson
    Dion Jordan
    Barkevious Mingo

Show me what they did on the field that makes them so highly rated. Not what they did in workouts.
    Patterson? He had production. 10 touchdowns this season is pretty good (5 receiving, 3 rushing, 1 PR, 1 KR). He also had very good all purpose yards numbers in the best conference.

Now, he is not yet a polished receiver. I'll grant you that. But, if you've seen him play, you see that he is very explosive and an elite open field runner. In my mind, Patterson is a potential pick, but it is backed up on tape. I'm high on the kid. I'd much rather take him than Eifert (as many on this board would have us do).

Jordan is a freaky athlete. But, I have no idea why he didn't rush the passer more. With Oregon's D seeing soooo many snaps, you'd figure the best pass rusher they have would actually rush the passer. I don't get it.

Mingo scares me the most. He had three years with top talent all around him, and he didn't really develop refined pass rushing moves/skills. To me that is a huge red flag. Also, he says he doesn't want to play OLB. That is just stupid.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Patterson? He had production. 10 touchdowns this season is pretty good (5 receiving, 3 rushing, 1 PR, 1 KR). He also had very good all purpose yards numbers in the best conference.

Now, he is not yet a polished receiver. I'll grant you that. But, if you've seen him play, you see that he is very explosive and an elite open field runner. In my mind, Patterson is a potential pick, but it is backed up on tape. I'm high on the kid. I'd much rather take him than Eifert (as many on this board would have us do).
    Especially when you consider UT was one of the worst teams in the SEC right now...

never should have fired Fulmer.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hung up on stats too much.

Anyone that SAYS they watch Patterson and don't know why he is graded where he is has no eyes for God Given Ability. By far, could be the most impact WR in this draft. Has what can't be taught and what he does lack can be taught. The only question surrrounding Patterson is why Jr college? How is his football IQ. None of us will have that answer but you can be sure them teams already do. When you are a skill player you have to be able to create at the next level to seperate yourself if you want to be a gamechanger. Allen is the only one out of himself Patterson & Austin that doesn't have that unique athletic ability but can bring other things to the table in his development.

Floyd is the #1 DT in this draft. The premium on DT may cause him to be overdrafted but if you are in the Top 10 & want a DT he is the one you go get. The tape tells his tale, not his stats.

I will bunch Jordan & Mingo together and say two things...Gifted Potential. When you get pass rushers with their movement skills & the tape that goes with it...They rise up the boards as they go through the process. Jordan is a plug & play 4-3 DE or a possible 3-4 OLB with great upside. Mingo might have the highest ceiling for a 3-4 OLB but he will need time to develop and gain strength.

Projecting a player into the NFL isn't black & white, what were his stats, and what conference did he play in. I find it very comical that the player who you were highest on for a long time is not on this list. A player who screams "what have you done" but you failed to put him on here because you were so high on him. Where's Ansah? Ansah didn't exist until his Senior year. Only a one year starter. Yet...He isn't on your list. Hmmmm..Interesting. To be fair though...He fits the same label as Jordan. A plug & play 4-3 DE with great upside. I personally feel Jordan may go before Ansah because of his experience but I believe Ansah has more upside. You should include everyone that fits the mold. Not just the guys of posters that disagree with you and forget about the guys you like.