Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Realistically, what positions could we draft in round 1?

Legend

User Info Menu

A first rounder will be picked who is either A) Ready to replace a current pencilled in starter, or B) Is being groomed to take over for an aging vet

Going by those two guidelines, we are either looking at:

A) OG (Foster), WR (Sanders/Cotch/Burress), OLB (Worilds), ILB (Foote), NT (whoever is pencilled in to start)

B) TE (Miller), S (both Troy and Clark), CB (Ike/Gay)

Only a tackle if something big like a top 3 dropping, or they are planning on moving Gilbert inside.

Near future determined at: C, RG, at least one OT, QB, 1 ILB spot, 1 OLB spot, DE, 1 CB spot

Not good enough prospects in first round to draft: C, OT beyond top 3, RB, and the standard P, K, LS....could you imagine a first round long snapper? He probably would start right away so why not?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    For the sake of discussion, lets assume you are correct about S and TE. ILB would be a wasted pick at #17. There is no Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons level of talent at ILB in this draft. Plus we have the problem of needing help now and needing to wait two years before that #1 pick is allowed to play.

That leaves WR (Patterson I would love) or OL. Outside chance of a Nose Tackle which is a pick I would hate at #17.

I still think Eifert, Patterson or John Cooper are our best options in that order.

First of all, Timmons was a reach especially for a team that runs a 3-4 and projected him as the future starting OLB. He wasn't drafted at all to be a ILB. Tomlin even said so in the post draft press conference. Now, Patrick Willis I agree with you on.

I don't see the Steelers investing ANOTHER high pick in the o-line unless one of the top tier LTs fall in their lap. I have the same opinion with the d-line as well. Personally, I wish they would have addressed NT with a high pick instead of DE but that didn't happen....

I don't think the Steelers will draft a TE because I'm not convinced TE with be the BPA at a position of need. With all the TEs on the roster, I think we are more than capable of holding down the fort until Heath comes back. Specifically, I'm talking about Spaeth and Paulson. Are they All Pros? Obviously Not. Are they at Heath's level? No. Are they at Eifert's level? Who knows.. probably not.

Although I've critiqued Colbert/Tomlin draft picks, I think they do a good job of identifying the correct positions but not necessarily a good job of picking the best player for THIS team.

As far as ILB goes, I guess the question must be asked.... Is Arthur Brown or Kevin Minter rated 7 picks higher than Hightower? The Steelers were going to pick Hightower at 1.24 last year. That is very telling in my opinion.

The Steelers want a starting ILB and are not content with Foote (and they shouldn't be). Add to that, the Steelers do not sound optimistic at all regarding Spence's injury.

As far as OLB goes, I really think the Steelers want to see Worilds in that starting role which is why I think they won't pick OLB in the 1st. Obviously, Jones is a possibility and Ansah is a BIG possibility but I doubt Ansah gets close to 1.17.

With our needs and where we are drafting, I would LOVE to trade down into the 20's. I think Minter would be a good pick but is he rated as high as 17? I don't know. What about Arthur Brown? Vacarro is rated that high so that is a possibility especially since he fits the strategy "BPA at a position of need". If he's gone.. then S won't be a 1st round pick. ILB might be a reach.

This logic points me in the direction of wide receiver. I just hope it's Hopkins and not Patterson. Patterson = speedster, freakish athlete, catches the ball with his body. Hopkins = best hands, best routes, attack the ball at it's highest point WR, decent 4.5x speed.

Patterson reminds me of a bigger, and overall better athlete than Mike Wallace. My problem is that I see their similar weakness. Patterson and Wallace catch the ball with their body and both aren't known for their ability to "go up and get the ball" rather than waiting on the ball to get to you. That's a big difference maker in the NFL.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    A first rounder will be picked who is either A) Ready to replace a current pencilled in starter, or B) Is being groomed to take over for an aging vet

Going by those two guidelines, we are either looking at:

A) OG (Foster), WR (Sanders/Cotch/Burress), OLB (Worilds), ILB (Foote), NT (whoever is pencilled in to start)

B) TE (Miller), S (both Troy and Clark), CB (Ike/Gay)

Only a tackle if something big like a top 3 dropping, or they are planning on moving Gilbert inside.

Near future determined at: C, RG, at least one OT, QB, 1 ILB spot, 1 OLB spot, DE, 1 CB spot

Not good enough prospects in first round to draft: C, OT beyond top 3, RB, and the standard P, K, LS....could you imagine a first round long snapper? He probably would start right away so why not?
    Not sure I understand your "A" and "B" classifications. Could make a strong case that "B" is the greater need.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure I understand your "A" and "B" classifications. Could make a strong case that "B" is the greater need.
    A & B are meant for differentiation, not to prioritize. A first round guard or ILB could easily replace Foster or Foote in 2013. A safety or two will definitely be needed very soon, just unlikely that a first rounder starts ahead of a healthy Troy in 2013. IMO anyone in A or B can be picked in the first if BPA.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    First of all, Timmons was a reach especially for a team that runs a 3-4 and projected him as the future starting OLB. He wasn't drafted at all to be a ILB. Tomlin even said so in the post draft press conference. Now, Patrick Willis I agree with you on.
    Timmons was rated in the middle of the first round, where he was drafted...Tomlin also said in the press conference that Timmons had Mack capabilities, which is where he plays...

In 2007, nobody knew how good Harrison would be...nobody knew how good Woodley would be either...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I could also see the Steelers doubling up like they did with LB in the 2007 draft where they picked Timmons and Woodley back to back and doing it with either Safety or secondary in general. Round 1, Vaccaro or Trufant, then Round 2 Elam or Thomas. Then hit WR, DLine, etc in rounds 3-7.

I know the Steelers don't do it and eveyone has mentioned it but trading back in the first and picking up say an extra 3 or an extra 4 & 5 would be ideal.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I could also see the Steelers doubling up like they did with LB in the 2007 draft where they picked Timmons and Woodley back to back and doing it with either Safety or secondary in general. Round 1, Vaccaro or Trufant, then Round 2 Elam or Thomas. Then hit WR, DLine, etc in rounds 3-7.

I know the Steelers don't do it and eveyone has mentioned it but trading back in the first and picking up say an extra 3 or an extra 4 & 5 would be ideal.
    I don't think it is an issue of the Steelers not wanting to trade back but more of an issue of when they typically pick. When you are picking in the mid to late 20s a trade back may be harder to do that satisfies both parties. However, in the mid teens there may be more motivation for a team to want to go up to that area to get a player they really like.

I would love to get an extra couple of picks in this draft because we have needs in lots of places.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Adams might be a better option at LT than Gilbert...and I'm not completely sold on Adams, yet.

I think the Steelers ought to add a tackle to their draft list. I don't know about the first round, but isn't it hard to find a quality LT if you wait too long into the draft?
    Currently, we have a OG and a second string RT starting at right and left tackle. Neither of our bookends should be sniffing the field let alone protecting our 100 million dollar franchise QB.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Currently, we have a OG and a second string RT starting at right and left tackle. Neither of our bookends should be sniffing the field let alone protecting our 100 million dollar franchise QB.

But we shouldn't draft anymore OL in Round 1 no matter how good they are because it isn't their turn because we did that the past few years. Ability to excel means nothing.

Don't forget we have a very average Left Guard too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Based on the information at hand, at this point in the game, I think we trade back.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!