Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistically, what positions could we draft in round 1?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting Northcoast. Thanks for posting that.
    @_Hellgrammite

Administrator

User Info Menu

The positions I think the Steelers will eliminate as a 1st round pick is:

QB, RB, OL, DL, CB and...... OLB

That leaves ILB, WR, S, TE.

I don't know think Vacarro will be the pick and he is the only safety rated high enough to be a #17 pick. The safety class is deep this year and I don't think the Steelers will address S in the 1st round. Also, I don't **think** Eifert will be the pick. Eliminating both Eifert and Vacarro eliminates the S and TE position. That leaves us with WR and ILB.

I could see Kevin Minter or Authur Brown as a possible ILB pick. I could see Patterson (don't like the pick), Allen or Hopkins as being the pick.

If it came down to that scenario, I'd prefer Hopkins or Minter. Sadly, I think Tomlin & Colbert will screw it up and pick Brown or Patterson.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

If I were a betting man, I believe the Steelers will go OLB or S in the first.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Sadly, I think Tomlin & Colbert will screw it up and pick Brown or Patterson.
    Agree... and I really don't like what I've seen of Brown.. he seemed to be a "fall on the pile and get stats" kind of guy. didn't make a lot of tackles in the hole... Im big on watching highlights of a game on youtube... I gave Brown a 2nd game because he looked so horrible in the first one... Just don't like him... not many tackles in the hole - most were in pursuit... would really like someone who fills holes and makes a tackle or two at the LOS.... I'd honestly rather see Te'o than Brown...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    LG? You mean LT right?

If one of the three top OT fell to 17 I would take them in a heartbeat.
    No. I mean Gilbert is a Guard. I have said that since before we drafted the kid. He needs to play in a phone booth. Doesn't have the feet or balance to play in space.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    No. I mean Gilbert is a Guard. I have said that since before we drafted the kid. He needs to play in a phone booth. Doesn't have the feet or balance to play in space.
    Adams might be a better option at LT than Gilbert...and I'm not completely sold on Adams, yet.

I think the Steelers ought to add a tackle to their draft list. I don't know about the first round, but isn't it hard to find a quality LT if you wait too long into the draft?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Highest possiblity

ILB, pass rusher, S, TE, and WR

Lower probability

T, G, CB, RB, NT, DE

I think if a great player that the Steelers have rated in their top 10 falls, they will likely take him regardless of position. Cooper, Lane Johnson, Lotuleili, Milner, and Ansah all probably fit into this category. Warmack, Jarvis Jones, Vaccaro and Patterson could also be in their top 10, but I doubt it.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The positions I think the Steelers will eliminate as a 1st round pick is:

QB, RB, OL, DL, CB and...... OLB

That leaves ILB, WR, S, TE.

I don't know think Vacarro will be the pick and he is the only safety rated high enough to be a #17 pick. The safety class is deep this year and I don't think the Steelers will address S in the 1st round. Also, I don't **think** Eifert will be the pick. Eliminating both Eifert and Vacarro eliminates the S and TE position. That leaves us with WR and ILB.

I could see Kevin Minter or Authur Brown as a possible ILB pick. I could see Patterson (don't like the pick), Allen or Hopkins as being the pick.

If it came down to that scenario, I'd prefer Hopkins or Minter. Sadly, I think Tomlin & Colbert will screw it up and pick Brown or Patterson.
    For the sake of discussion, lets assume you are correct about S and TE. ILB would be a wasted pick at #17. There is no Patrick Willis or Lawrence Timmons level of talent at ILB in this draft. Plus we have the problem of needing help now and needing to wait two years before that #1 pick is allowed to play.

That leaves WR (Patterson I would love) or OL. Outside chance of a Nose Tackle which is a pick I would hate at #17.

I still think Eifert, Patterson or John Cooper are our best options in that order.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

It's going to come down to the player available...

There are a number of positions that could be upgraded...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    LG? You mean LT right?

If one of the three top OT fell to 17 I would take them in a heartbeat.
    Those three guys will be gone in the top 5, IMO, Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson. I just think when draft day rolls around and teams see either of those three guys on the board they are going to take them. One may slip down to the top 10, I just don't see them falling very far based everything that's been printed and said about them.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount