Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert

I know Tyler would be a long shot to be considered by the Steelers especially with other positions they want to replace and improve on but I sure would like him as a Steeler.
    On the offensive side of the ball most of the discussions are at the WR and RB positions which is understandable as we'll need to add those positions obviously, but I can't get passed his playmaking capabilities.
    The thought of him and Heath Miller in the lineup would present matchup problems for opposing defenses much like NE has with Gronk and Hernandez. He's a terrific pass catcher, and can get up there with the high throws something that would be a benefit to Ben especially in the red zone offense.

With the Steelers picking at 17 there should be some real good players available at other positions, but IMO Eifert is a playmaker who could help our offense right away not just down the road.
    Even with the loss of Wallace I consider both Brown and Sanders to be good WR's then we have Cotchery and Plax so I don't see an immediate need at WR unless we would lose Sanders. We only have one good TE in Heath, the rest are average and to improve our offense we don't need average we need playmakers like Eifert to round out our offense.

We got lucky last year when DeCastro fell to us, considered to be the best guard in that draft, maybe a OLB,CB, or Safety could this year for us, but if either one isn't the best at his position I want Tyler, we can fill those postions after round one.
    I know... I'm beating a dead horse, the Steelers won't draft TE in round one but I still would love to see Eifert and Miller in this offense with LB'ers and Safety's trying to cover them both when Eifert is ten feet off the ground snagging passes.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If he is BPA, there is no reason not to draft him...

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think the drop off from Eifert to Ertz is that wide...

I would pick Ertz up in the second.

Legend

User Info Menu

We should pick up Eifert in the first and Ertz in the second just to watch Crash explode.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't think the drop off from Eifert to Ertz is that wide...

I would pick Ertz up in the second.
    Could be Feltdizz, but scouts refer to him as not only the best TE in the draft but the best pass catcher even if you include receivers, in that regard his value to us would be tremendous.

0NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler EifertMar 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 pm by Josh SanchezNFL Draft« PreviousNext » Home » NFL » NFL Draft » NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert The 2013 NFL Draft class features a number of top notch tight end prospects, but Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert continues to draw rave reviews from NFL scouts as they finish evaluating his game film.

To see the threat that Eifert presents, all you need to do is put on the national championship game when Notre Dame matched up against Alabama. Eifert demanded so much attention from the Crimson Tide defense that the team’s top cornerback Dee Milliner was given the assignment of shutting down the Fighting Irish star tight end.

Jan 7, 2013; Miami, FL, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish tight end Tyler Eifert (80) catches a pass defended by Alabama Crimson Tide defensive back Dee Milliner (2 during the first half of the 2013 BCS Championship game at Sun Life Stadium. Elfert was ruled out of bounds on the play. Mandatory Credit: Eileen Blass-USA TODAY Sports
    “Alabama knew he was the guy they had to take away, so they put their top cover guy on him,” one top college scout said, per the Times of Trenton referring to the decision to place Milliner on Eifert.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Eifert stole the show and began to pull away from Stanford’s Zach Ertz as the top tight end in the draft. Eifert has received so much praise that he is starting to be considered as the best all-round receiver in this year’s draft, not just the best tight end.“Keenan Allen (of California) is up there,” a NFL personnel man said. “But I’ll put Eifert up there with any of them. This kid is good, real good.

“(Detroit’s Brandon) Pettigrew was pretty good coming out (of Oklahoma in 2009), but this kid is better all-around then he was. This guy is the real deal. He can run. He can catch. He runs good routes. He’s not a great blocker, but he’s getting better at it, and he’ll get even better yet.”

Last season, Eifert racked up 50 receptions, 685 yards and four touchdowns, which was a step back from his previous year’s production of 63 passes, 865 yards and five touchdowns.

“He’ll probably go somewhere in the middle of the first round, somewhere in the teens,” another scout said. “And somebody is going to get a real good player there.”

There are a number of teams in the middle to late first-round that have needs at the tight end position, so the belief that Eifert could go in the teens is not out of the question.

Legend

User Info Menu

Time for everyone to get on board and quit characterizing the TE position as an afterthought unworthy of using a Round 1 pick. I the pass first NFL the TE is just as importnat as a WR if not more because they represent a higher priority of success for catching the pass on most plays. I may not make the ESPN highlights or be cool on Madden but TEs create more match up challenges for defenses than WRs do.

I'm totally hoping that the Steelers take Eifert at #17. There is no other player projected to be available then that would contribute as a much as a rookie and for the next decade.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Could be Feltdizz, but scouts refer to him as not only the best TE in the draft but the best pass catcher even if you include receivers, in that regard his value to us would be tremendous.

0NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler EifertMar 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 pm by Josh SanchezNFL Draft« PreviousNext » Home » NFL » NFL Draft » NFL Draft 2013: Scouts Raving About Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert The 2013 NFL Draft class features a number of top notch tight end prospects, but Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert continues to draw rave reviews from NFL scouts as they finish evaluating his game film.

To see the threat that Eifert presents, all you need to do is put on the national championship game when Notre Dame matched up against Alabama. Eifert demanded so much attention from the Crimson Tide defense that the team’s top cornerback Dee Milliner was given the assignment of shutting down the Fighting Irish star tight end.

Jan 7, 2013; Miami, FL, USA; Notre Dame Fighting Irish tight end Tyler Eifert (80) catches a pass defended by Alabama Crimson Tide defensive back Dee Milliner (2 during the first half of the 2013 BCS Championship game at Sun Life Stadium. Elfert was ruled out of bounds on the play. Mandatory Credit: Eileen Blass-USA TODAY Sports
    “Alabama knew he was the guy they had to take away, so they put their top cover guy on him,” one top college scout said, per the Times of Trenton referring to the decision to place Milliner on Eifert.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Eifert stole the show and began to pull away from Stanford’s Zach Ertz as the top tight end in the draft. Eifert has received so much praise that he is starting to be considered as the best all-round receiver in this year’s draft, not just the best tight end.“Keenan Allen (of California) is up there,” a NFL personnel man said. “But I’ll put Eifert up there with any of them. This kid is good, real good.

“(Detroit’s Brandon) Pettigrew was pretty good coming out (of Oklahoma in 2009), but this kid is better all-around then he was. This guy is the real deal. He can run. He can catch. He runs good routes. He’s not a great blocker, but he’s getting better at it, and he’ll get even better yet.”

Last season, Eifert racked up 50 receptions, 685 yards and four touchdowns, which was a step back from his previous year’s production of 63 passes, 865 yards and five touchdowns.

“He’ll probably go somewhere in the middle of the first round, somewhere in the teens,” another scout said. “And somebody is going to get a real good player there.”

There are a number of teams in the middle to late first-round that have needs at the tight end position, so the belief that Eifert could go in the teens is not out of the question.
    Exactly why we should take him at #17. He could be as big if not a bigger difference maker than Gronkowski.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have no problem drafting Eifert if we could get more value and move back & pick up a 3rd. Early to mid 20's should do it. There is no reason to think that 1st round TE or early round TE isn't on the radar. Miller will be 31 & Spaeth will be 30. Miller may begin on PUP. Even if he doesn't, Haley likes multiple TE sets. Speath was brought in on a dollar bill so there is no pressure to get him on the field. Paulson is still under development. I believe Miller will begin on PUP because of the Spaeth signing. Spaeth, Paulson, & Rookie will see work. That gives Miller & the Steelers a 9 week window. Lots can happen over that period of time. If all the TEs remain healthy & Miller CAN come back...They will have to find a way to carry 4 TEs if the draft choice was early or release & stick on PS squad if it was a late pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Eifert and would be ok with the pick, but if he is the pick, the Steelers almost have to use another early pick on finding a deep threat wide receiver. Sanders and Brown both profile better as #2 WRs and neither is the type that scares you deep. If the Steelers run all short and intermediate routes, defenses will squat on those routes and also snuff out the running game.

You need to have somebody on the outside who can challenge the defense deep to help open up the short and intermediate stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tyler Eifert

Just thought I'd start one more thread discussing him... I don't think there's enough out there.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas