Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Big Ben on Wallace: Steelers will miss him, Dolphins are lucky

  1. #41
    The bottom line is this:

    We can choose to second guess the Steelers' FO all we want...

    At this point, it will be up to Antonio Brown to justify the contract that the Steelers signed him to...based upon last year, I can understand the trepidation...

    It is also up to Mike Wallace to justify the contract that the Dolphins signed him to...personally, I don't care one way or the other, but based upon last year and the second half of 2011, there should be quite a bit of trepidation on the part of the Dolphins and their fans...

  2. #42
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,113
    "Fair price- It's not what you say, it's what the market will bear." - Leonard Smalls (His friends call him Lenny)

  3. #43
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,689
    So were Jamarcus and Darius wworth what the Raiders paid for them?

    Is the market REALLY deciding the price when only 1 team makes a crazy offer?

  4. #44
    Backup
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    157
    I read somewhere that Wallace actually took LESS money from the Dolphins than what Minnesota offered. He was the biggest prize in free agency in terms of offensive weapons. Kind of like this year's draft... very few sure fire stars, but SOMEBODY'S got to go first. Wallace was in the right place at the right time, and he had a smart agent who put him there.

  5. #45
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,689
    Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    I read somewhere that Wallace actually took LESS money from the Dolphins than what Minnesota offered. He was the biggest prize in free agency in terms of offensive weapons. Kind of like this year's draft... very few sure fire stars, but SOMEBODY'S got to go first. Wallace was in the right place at the right time, and he had a smart agent who put him there.
    I didn't know the Vikes offered him money... thanks for the heads up. Kind of changes the whole "one team offered him money" argument I was using. Well, upon further inspection I'm gonna say the Vikes deal is bull #@$t. The only one on record is Mike's Dad... and since he signed an hour after FA started I doubt they really had a hard offer from MN.
    I heard weather played a big part in his decision to head south
    Last edited by feltdizz; 04-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    You're talking 'value for money' which is, essentially, a perspective.

    Wallace's worth is several millions of dollars. The market set the number. If there had been no market for Wallace, he'd have signed for significantly less, his worth being whatever number he would have signed for.

    Now, it could be argued he'd be better value for money on a significantly lower contract number..

    Your Lexus/Honda example is a good one. The 'worth' of the Lexus, in real dollars, is more than the Honda. Why? It's more desirable, more popular, people are willing to pay it's worth. But the Honda might provide better bang for the buck. But it's worth will still be lower.
    Yes, let's follow this thinking. The one element missing is a "budget".

    Most people would need to give up other so much for a Lexus that THEY DONT DO IT.

    I would liken Wallace more to a Porsche. Crazy Fast, yet too expensive for a typical family

    Given the average budget, MOST PEOPLE are better served getting a Camry or Accord, which is why no Lexus or Porsche model come close to the the sales of the Camry.

    Everyone in the NFL is on the same fixed "budget".

    Just like a Porshe to a family with a limited fixed income the sacrifices to all other areas on life.

    With sacrifices everywhere else your overall quality of life is less, but you have a fast car.

    You never get to go on vacation (the SB) because your budget was blown on one fast shiny car.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    "Fair price- It's not what you say, it's what the market will bear." - Leonard Smalls (His friends call him Lenny)
    Very true.
    The market sets the price of certain comic books at 1 million dollars.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-than-1m.html

    Just because the "market" will bear it, doesnt mean it is the best use of funds.
    Never in the 2000s has paying a receiver like a QB been worth the investment if the goal is to win a championship.

    That is why Wallace got paid by the Fins not us.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    "Fair price- It's not what you say, it's what the market will bear." - Leonard Smalls (His friends call him Lenny)
    Exactly.

    Now, whether or not you get your money's worth from that fair price is another matter entirely...

  9. #49
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I didn't know the Vikes offered him money... thanks for the heads up. Kind of changes the whole "one team offered him money" argument I was using. Well, upon further inspection I'm gonna say the Vikes deal is bull #@$t. The only one on record is Mike's Dad... and since he signed an hour after FA started I doubt they really had a hard offer from MN.
    I heard weather played a big part in his decision to head south
    It was widely reported that the Vikes made the best offer but Wallace wanted the warm climate ... hence the signing with the Fins. I think I also heard there was a third team in the bidding but it was also in a cold climate so Wallace didn't really care.

    I don't have a problem with what Wallace got paid. I would have loved to have kept him on the team but we couldn't afford him. What I have a problem with is so many bashing the guy's talent. He's got it ... loads of it. Why hate on the guy just because he got paid what he thought he would?

    So if the question is whether Wallace was worth that much then I have to say "No". But then I don't think Troy is worth what we are paying him, or Woodley, or Timmons, or Ike, or Brown. I don't even think what they will pay Ben in his next contract will be worth it. What teams are slowly ending up with are a few superstars and the rest of the team are scrubs because that is the only way to work everything with the salary cap.

    When one player ends up eating 15 - 20% of your salary cap like some of the QBs or even receivers in the league do it throws everything out of whack. The Steelers are usually pretty good about staying out of that game until the last few years. We would never make anybody the highest paid for his position then we started doing it for Troy and Harrison. That seemed to open the floodgates as we handed out big contracts to Ike, Woodley, Timmons, Brown and even Miller.

    As much as I would hate it, because I like all those players I've mentioned, I think we need to start letting some of these guys go even if they are in their prime. We need to build as a team ... not as individual players. Work for signing a team full of average to above average players instead of one with some stars and the rest of them scrubs.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  10. #50
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Just like a Porshe to a family with a limited fixed income the sacrifices to all other areas on life. With sacrifices everywhere else your overall quality of life is less, but you have a fast car. You never get to go on vacation (the SB) because your budget was blown on one fast shiny car.
    The family that has a Porsche has an everyday vacation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •