Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose Tackle in the 1st?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Nose Tackle in the 1st?

I know if you look around enough you'll find some "expert" mock draft out there that will have us taking a quarterback in the first round because we need someone to groom behind Big Ben, so we have to take these for what they are worth.

So while I've been killing time at the office, I've seen two more mock drafts, each of which has us taking a Nose Tackle in the first round. One site had us taking Hankins from Ohio State, the other hand us taking Jenkins from Georgia (who I thought was a second or even third rounder). I recognize that our DL talent and production is not what it once was but is anyone else of the same mind on taking an NT in the first? I know Shawn in an OSU guy, what do you think of Hankins?

Guess I should get back to work now, probably because we had a bad season last year but the speculation and waiting around for the draft this year is killing me!
    Last edited by ramblinjim; 04-05-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: quick correction
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Interestingly enough, early in the offseason, there were as many as 5 NT projected in the 1st round, based on performance during the season. Then the combine happened and 40 aren't what NT's do. I honestly suspect they'll take a NT in the first 4 rounds - just to have another body thrown in there... and Very likely select one who was projected as a 1st rounder in January. This is said to be a VERY deep NT class - for that reason alone, I wouldn't take one in the first - but, wouldn't be dissapointed if they did.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    I know if you look around enough you'll find some "expert" mock draft out there that will have us taking a quarterback in the first round because we need someone to groom behind Big Ben, so we have to take these for what they are worth.

So while I've been killing time at the office, I've seen two more mock drafts, each of which has us taking a Nose Tackle in the first round. One site had us taking Hankins from Ohio State, the other hand us taking Jenkins from Georgia (who I thought was a second or even third rounder). I recognize that our DL talent and production is not what it once was but is anyone else of the same mind on taking an NT in the first? I know Shawn in an OSU guy, what do you think of Hankins?

Guess I should get back to work now, probably because we had a bad season last year but the speculation and waiting around for the draft this year is killing me!
    Well, since, Ta'amu was slapped on the wrist and McClendon and Fangupo are on the roster currently I don't think they'll be looking for NT. However, if a DeCastro type situation occurs and a NT is the BPA then I could see the Steelers selecting a NT with their 1.17 pick. I haven't heard much banter about elite NTs in this draft or ones that could potentially fall, so it's probably not likely, but stranger things have happened on draft day.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NO....considering we dropped first round picks on Heyward and Hood and they are both very average at best, NO. I would take another OL in the first round before a NT. If they want to switch to the 4-3 then take Werner if still there but other than a switch, we have enough guys to 'eat up blockers' and not enough to actually put pressure on the freaking QB's.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    NO....considering we dropped first round picks on Heyward and Hood and they are both very average at best, NO. I would take another OL in the first round before a NT. If they want to switch to the 4-3 then take Werner if still there but other than a switch, we have enough guys to 'eat up blockers' and not enough to actually put pressure on the freaking QB's.
    Couldn't it be argued that the decline in the play of the NT coincided with the increasing inability to sack the QB?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You never know what the Steelers will do with an early pick, we usually pick in the later rounds so I'm guessing they will go with BPA.
    For me if the Steelers are picking defense I favor CB, good corners are hard to come by, and with Ike Taylor's age and contract it may be on their list.
    The QB is the most important position on offense, I view CB the same on defense especially in this pass happy NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Couldn't it be argued that the decline in the play of the NT coincided with the increasing inability to sack the QB?
    You could, but I wouldn't. The OLB we had last year were injured. Woodley had the nagging groin injury that has cropped up the past few seasons and Harrisons knee issues were well documented. After Harrisons knee came around, his sacks went up. I would argue that the DE's play has a much great effect on the OLB's sack numbers. The NT is more of a safeguard against the run, as we don't blitz our ILB all that often.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Unless he's an absolute monster I think 17 may be too high. Depends if the player is a 2 down player or can stay on the field for all situations. I thought we had the answer in Ta'amu. But we won't know until he can see some playing time. I usually a proponent of drafting up the middle and from the inside out, but not for this particular draft.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I haven't heard much banter about elite NTs in this draft or ones that could potentially fall, so it's probably not likely, but stranger things have happened on draft day.

Pappy
    No elite nose tackles?

Star Lotulelei is perhaps the best 3-4 NT to come out in the last five years.

Further, this is perhaps the deepest high talent 3-4 NT class we have ever seen. Hankins, Sly Williams, Jessie Williams and John Jenkins have all been mentioned as first round possibilities. The Steelers heavily attended the pro day of Brandon Williams (who is likely a day two pick).

Now, I agree that NT at 17 may not be a great value. And, we don't really NEED one. But, the fact remains, this is a fantastic NT draft (especially in the first three rounds) with several "elite" talents.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hankins is a pocket collapsing game changer. He is huge yet runs sideline to sideline like a linebacker, eats up two blockers and still gets push. Elite run stuffer, disruptive in the passing game. You can build a D around him. IMO, he is one of the best DTs in OSU history. I kept my eye on him ALOT, and was amazed at how much another team has to focus on him. I would be stoked to grab Hankins.
    Trolls are people too.