Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose Tackle in the 1st?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's kinda funny but I remember a lot on this board pushing for the Steelers to draft a NT in the first last year. The one most wanted was the combine workout warrior Dontari Poe (sp?). Did Poe even play this past year? I think KC drafted him but I never remember hearing his name the entire year. Maybe I missed all the splash play highlights on ESPN on him last year.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fangupo, Ta'amu, McLendon...give a young guy a shot before declaring they are backups or not NFL worthy.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Hankins is a pocket collapsing game changer. He is huge yet runs sideline to sideline like a linebacker, eats up two blockers and still gets push. Elite run stuffer, disruptive in the passing game. You can build a D around him. IMO, he is one of the best DTs in OSU history. I kept my eye on him ALOT, and was amazed at how much another team has to focus on him. I would be stoked to grab Hankins.
    I'm all for value when we can get it, but unless Hankins is Ngata Jr, I find it difficult to justify spending our #1 (and the third #1 in four years) on the D-line. Chadman asked the question whether any failings at NT had anything to do with a lack of pass-rush... presuming he means less obvious passing situations. I don't think NT played much into that. If you think of the top interior power guys today (Ngata, Suh, Wilfork, etc.) I don't see the NT having the presence that it once did. In previous eras, a dominant NT seemed to be a hallmark of strong D (shutting down the run). These days, it seems that having that guy in there doesn't have the same value it once did (what with the Spread maybe?)

As I said, if he's Ngata, I'm fine taking him there. Otherwise, I would hope that there is better value elsewhere.

Starter

User Info Menu

Until the combine, some NTs were rated highly. Personally, I like Jesse Williams, as he's relatively new to football (was a rugby player) and is very strong, and will end up being a guy that eats two blockers on every play. It's what our NT has to do for everything else to work on either side of him (to the DE, to the OLB).

Starter

User Info Menu

I have a feeling that one or two of the 1st round rated DT/NTs will be available at our pick in round 2 and there will likey be 2nd round type talent in round 4. IMO we should take advantage of the crazy depth and get a steal at some point.

Another AS masterpiece.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    It's kinda funny but I remember a lot on this board pushing for the Steelers to draft a NT in the first last year. The one most wanted was the combine workout warrior Dontari Poe (sp?). Did Poe even play this past year? I think KC drafted him but I never remember hearing his name the entire year. Maybe I missed all the splash play highlights on ESPN on him last year.
    IIRC, Poe had an injury issue in training camp and the beginning of the year. Shoulder I think.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Hell no... I would be very angry if we went NT early.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Hell no... I would be very angry if we went NT early.
    I agree. We've got much bigger needs. The three we've got right now at NT will fill the void. McClendon is a solid player..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Hankins is a pocket collapsing game changer. He is huge yet runs sideline to sideline like a linebacker, eats up two blockers and still gets push. Elite run stuffer, disruptive in the passing game. You can build a D around him. IMO, he is one of the best DTs in OSU history. I kept my eye on him ALOT, and was amazed at how much another team has to focus on him. I would be stoked to grab Hankins.
    He had a better sophomore than junior season but, yeah, you could build a defense around him. He wouldn't be ready as a rookie until he improves his upper body strength. Unstoppable motor than thrives on stopping the run...plays like a younger version of Hampton. I'm on board if he's the pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

With Ray Rice and Trent Richardson to deal with in the division, it would make sense to find that anchor in the middle. Not sure if he is on the roster at the moment, but doesnt hurt to find another.