Thread: How Often...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How Often...

Do the Steelers draft someone that they do not bring in for a visit? Their visits could be be a tell tale sign of who they are targeting come the end of April. I'm sure they will bring in players like Shanahan and Graham because it won't count against their visits. Who else do you see the Steelers bringing in for personal visits (Vaccaro, Eifert, Allen, Austin, Bailey, Cooper, Ertz, Reid, Cyprien, Lacy, Bernard, Hunt), I would expect all these players to pay a visit. I'm sure there are others that I left off, but do the Steelers usually target these guys? I remember how the Steelers had never talked to Mendy before the draft and we all know how that worked out....I'm interested to see what happens this year?!?
    Last edited by AkronSteel; 04-04-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think that they had Mendenall, Hood or DeCastro in for visits.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    I remember how the Steelers had never talked to Mendy before the draft and we all know how that worked out....I'm interested to see what happens this year?!?
    The Steelers didn't have Mendy in because there was no way that he was supposed to drop to us, much the same way as there was no need to bring in Decastro because he'd be gone way before our pick. Carolina @ 13 was the consensus landing spot for Mendenhall. After that, there were a lot of other teams ahead of us with a need at RB, including Dallas right in front of us. The unlikely hope at RB was that Jonathan Stewart would slip through the cracks to us.

Anyhow, Carolina jumped on Stewart, and after that the league went OT crazy. Tackles who were projected to go in the second, third, and fourth round became first rounders. Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Gosder Cherilus, Jeff Otah, and Sam Baker were five of the ten picks between Stewart and the Steelers. The last chance for RM to go was at 22, but Jerry Jones took the backup RB from his alma mater in Felix Jones, and the Steelers' war room erupted.

Funny thing is, had we decided to join the run on tackles, the next one up was Duane Brown, who is now considered on of the top OTs in the league. That would have left us open to choosing Ray Rice in the second to cover our need at RB. Ahhh hindsight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The Steelers didn't have Mendy in because there was no way that he was supposed to drop to us, much the same way as there was no need to bring in Decastro because he'd be gone way before our pick. Carolina @ 13 was the consensus landing spot for Mendenhall. After that, there were a lot of other teams ahead of us with a need at RB, including Dallas right in front of us. The unlikely hope at RB was that Jonathan Stewart would slip through the cracks to us.

Anyhow, Carolina jumped on Stewart, and after that the league went OT crazy. Tackles who were projected to go in the second, third, and fourth round became first rounders. Chris Williams, Brandon Albert, Gosder Cherilus, Jeff Otah, and Sam Baker were five of the ten picks between Stewart and the Steelers. The last chance for RM to go was at 22, but Jerry Jones took the backup RB from his alma mater in Felix Jones, and the Steelers' war room erupted.

Funny thing is, had we decided to join the run on tackles, the next one up was Duane Brown, who is now considered on of the top OTs in the league. That would have left us open to choosing Ray Rice in the second to cover our need at RB. Ahhh hindsight.
    I remember that big run on tackles. I remember the Steelers being interested in a few and watching them all zip off the board. The funny thing is, Duane Brown, probably the best of them now, was considered a reach at the time.

Talk about hindsight - I'm not sure how they would fit Borwn and Rice under the cap, but that would be a nice problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I remember that big run on tackles. I remember the Steelers being interested in a few and watching them all zip off the board. The funny thing is, Duane Brown, probably the best of them now, was considered a reach at the time.

Talk about hindsight - I'm not sure how they would fit Borwn and Rice under the cap, but that would be a nice problem.
    I remember any mock that had us grabbing Brown had us taking him in the fourth, maybe the third for a stretch. We played the Texans week 1 and JH had 3 sacks and a FF against Brown in a 38-17 win (35-3 after 3Qs) and we all laughed at how badly Houston had overdrafted him. Again.....hindsight.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think it's because teams including the steelers as of late look to much into "upside", combine/workouts rather than "right now" football ability. It's a common place anymore... This guy is a "great football player right now" but this other guys "upside" is off the charts. I could care less about future upside.

I think Hopkins will be "that guy" this year much like Brown and Ray Rice was in the past. Hopkins is a Boldin/Roddy White clone and I see him as one of the safest picks in this entire draft. Is he a speedster.. no. Is he slow... no. Does he have unbelievable upside? Probably not. I think his "known" factor and his skill set that will transition to the pro game extremely well is what makes him an attractive pick for me.

Drafting him a 1.17 will be considered a "reach". I am willing to bet his career in the pros will provide proof over time that 1.17 isn't a reach.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Question...you mentioned Austin specifically in your original question about players visiting...would a Tavon Austin visit count against our 30 visit limit, or is that considered to be a "local" visit like the Pitt guys? I think PSU may be considered local as well, but Morgantown is closer to Pittsburgh than State College is.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Visits all seem good until the draft goes haywire; #17 is a "faller" position this year, and the Steelers are likely to get someone there that they didn't visit with because there was no way they'd fall that far.

Legend

User Info Menu

So talent evaluation, regardless of which team you are talking about, is not a perfect science. Think about all those teams (including the Steelers) who passed on T Brady, multiple times....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Question...you mentioned Austin specifically in your original question about players visiting...would a Tavon Austin visit count against our 30 visit limit, or is that considered to be a "local" visit like the Pitt guys? I think PSU may be considered local as well, but Morgantown is closer to Pittsburgh than State College is.
    I'm pretty sure WVU is considered local. Not sure about PSU.
    @_Hellgrammite