Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ta'amu gets 18 months probation

Legend

User Info Menu

Ta'amu gets 18 months probation

[URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-steeler-taamu-set-trial-123456468--nfl.html[/URL]

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/pit"]Pittsburgh Steelers[/URL] nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu was sentenced Thursday to 18 months of probation after pleading guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and drunken driving stemming from a series of crashes and a police chase last fall.
    He'll also have to spend four days in a program that's an alternative to jail, sometimes known as a DUI hotel.

Ta'amu crashed into several cars on the city's South Side, a neighborhood known for bars and night clubs, then ran from officers who responded, police said. Allegheny County Judge Anthony Mariani found Ta'amu not guilty Thursday of fleeing from police after Ta'amu explained that he thought an officer in an unmarked car was an angry motorist chasing him.

''I was a rookie and I was scared. I was a Steeler and I was drunk driving,'' Ta'amu told the judge. ''I wrecked my car and I panicked.''

The Steelers released the 22-year-old fourth-round draft pick a few weeks after he was arrested Oct. 14 but later re-signed him to the practice squad.
    Ta'amu was sentenced after pleading guilty to three counts of recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest and drunken driving. He must also pay nearly $11,000 in damage he caused to the cars.

County prosecutors withdrew felony charges of aggravated assault with a vehicle, and Ta'amu apologized.

''I know what I've done is wrong,'' Ta'amu said. ''I'd do anything to make it right. What I did affected my whole family. I've got to keep learning from my mistakes. So far, I think I've done a good job of staying away'' from alcohol.

Ta'amu will take alcohol highway safety classes and group behavior counseling when he spends the four days in the DUI housing program. He must also complete 150 hours of community service.

''You shouldn't be treated any more harshly, but you shouldn't be dealt with a lighter hand because you're a Pittsburgh Steeler,'' the judge said.

Defense attorney Robert DelGreco Jr. said Ta'amu enrolled in the NFL's substance abuse policy after his arrest, which subjects him to urine tests two to three times a week.

''He's said he was sorry and has expressed that sentiment ever since,'' DelGreco said. ''He is dedicated to making things right.''

I predicted he would remain a Steeler due to being a position of need. Hopefully he sticks around and keeps his nose clean.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alameda Ta'amu gets probation

Alameda Ta'amu gets probation

Updated: April 4, 2013
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu has been sentenced to 18 months of probation after pleading guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and drunken driving stemming from a series of crashes and a police chase.

The Steelers released the 22-year-old draft pick a few weeks after he was arrested Oct. 14 but later re-signed him to the practice squad.

Police say he crashed into several cars on the city's South Side, a neighborhood known for bars and nightclubs, then ran from officers who responded. A judge found Ta'amu not guilty Thursday of running from police after Ta'amu explained that he thought an officer in an unmarked car was an angry motorist chasing him.

Ta'amu also has to pay damages and spend four days in a DUI program that's a jail alternative.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9133561/alameda-taamu-pittsburgh-steelers-gets-probation-crashes[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I posted my story a minute earlier AND it's longer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, I wonder what a person that is not a Steeler, Penguin or Pirate gets for endangering the lives of others, drunken driving and resisting arrest? Do you think they only get 18 months probation, no fine and no jail time?

A 350 pound football player was running from police because he thought it was an irate motorist, now that is comedic gold Jerry, comedic gold I tell you. I have some beach front property in Kansas I'd like to sell to that judge.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I posted my story a minute earlier AND it's longer.
    when I went to post this you hadn't posted your thread yet. the mods should just combine mine into yours...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Wow, I wonder what a person that is not a Steeler, Penguin or Pirate gets for endangering the lives of others, drunken driving and resisting arrest? Do you think they only get 18 months probation, no fine and no jail time?

A 350 pound football player was running from police because he thought it was an irate motorist, now that is comedic gold Jerry, comedic gold I tell you. I have some beach front property in Kansas I'd like to sell to that judge.

Pappy
    I am certain that if I had done what Ta'amu did that I would not have gotten away with only probation...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The two threads on Ta'amu should be merged into one thread now.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    when I went to post this you hadn't posted your thread yet. the mods should just combine mine into yours...
    They have.. but I wasn't serious.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    They have.. but I wasn't serious.

I knew you were just kidding around.

this is obviously yet another example of two great minds like us thinking alike and posting the same thread within a minute of each other...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Head Scratcher...

There must be something they like to keep him through all this but then why would they release him like they did during the season?