Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Kiper's Mock 4.0

  1. #21
    Ertz will be the better all around TE. Trade down and grab Lacy and Ertz.

  2. #22
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The thing that is attractive about Eifert is magnified by Heath's health concerns and the knowledge Heath is only around a couple more years. IMO Eifert could also produce from Day 1 which, I know we disagree, is something a Round 1 pick should be able to do.
    Eifert is the kind of guy we could take if we were picking in the late 20's or early 30's. If we were drafting there (or traded down to there), then I'd be overjoyed with that pick. But we are picking in the teens, a place where we don't draft often. The last 5 times we had a first round pick that started with a "1" instead of a "2" or "3", we got Maurkice Pouncey at #18 in 2010, Lawrence Timmons at #15 in 2007, Ben Roethlisberger at #11 in 2004, Troy Polamalu at #16 in 2003, and Casey Hampton at #19 in 2001. Each of those guys is a building-block type player for us. When we are picking in the teens, I want an impact player like that...the best player available to us, because we don't pick this high very often...not just a TE because our TE happens to be hurt right now.

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Eifert is the kind of guy we could take if we were picking in the late 20's or early 30's. If we were drafting there (or traded down to there), then I'd be overjoyed with that pick. But we are picking in the teens, a place where we don't draft often. The last 5 times we had a first round pick that started with a "1" instead of a "2" or "3", we got Maurkice Pouncey at #18 in 2010, Lawrence Timmons at #15 in 2007, Ben Roethlisberger at #11 in 2004, Troy Polamalu at #16 in 2003, and Casey Hampton at #19 in 2001. Each of those guys is a building-block type player for us. When we are picking in the teens, I want an impact player like that...the best player available to us, because we don't pick this high very often...not just a TE because our TE happens to be hurt right now.
    What impact player do you think will be there at #17 who is really going to be a "building-block type" player? Only ones I see is if one of the top OL (Warmack, Cooper, etc) fall to that position. I don't think any of the LBs fit that description. Same with the DBs.

    The names most frequentsly mentioned here like Jones, Vacarro, etc are not building-blocks. IMO Eifert is more of a building-block because he is likely a ten year starter at an increasingly important position.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 04-04-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What impact player do you think will be there at #17 who is really going to be a "building-block type" player? Only ones I see is if one of the top OL (Warmack, Cooper, etc) fall to that position. I don't think any of the LBs fit that description. Same with the DBs.

    The names most frequentsly mentioned here like Jones, Vacarro, etc are not building-blocks. IMO Eifert is more of a building-block because he is likely a ten year starter at an increasingly important position.
    If TE is an increasingly important position, than wouldn't a player drafted to stop the TE (such as Vaccaro) be just as important?

    I go back and forth on Vaccaro and Jones as players, but if Vaccaro is a top-flight safety with coverage ability, or if Jones is an elite pass rushing and playmaking OLB, those are certainly building block type players.

  5. #25
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    16,037
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If TE is an increasingly important position, than wouldn't a player drafted to stop the TE (such as Vaccaro) be just as important?
    you make a great point, especially now that Cortez Allen the player we had stopping the TE last season is slated to be one of our starting CBs.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Eifert is the kind of guy we could take if we were picking in the late 20's or early 30's. If we were drafting there (or traded down to there), then I'd be overjoyed with that pick. But we are picking in the teens, a place where we don't draft often. The last 5 times we had a first round pick that started with a "1" instead of a "2" or "3", we got Maurkice Pouncey at #18 in 2010, Lawrence Timmons at #15 in 2007, Ben Roethlisberger at #11 in 2004, Troy Polamalu at #16 in 2003, and Casey Hampton at #19 in 2001. Each of those guys is a building-block type player for us. When we are picking in the teens, I want an impact player like that...the best player available to us, because we don't pick this high very often...not just a TE because our TE happens to be hurt right now.
    Here is the question: If Eifert will be as productive as Gronkowski is he worth being picked at #17?

    and by the way, I am in favor of going with Jones and then Ertz (big Ertz fan) with our first 2 picks but I can see why folks are lobbying for Eifert.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Here is the question: If Eifert will be as productive as Gronkowski is he worth being picked at #17?

    and by the way, I am in favor of going with Jones and then Ertz (big Ertz fan) with our first 2 picks but I can see why folks are lobbying for Eifert.
    I say yes... anybody who is going to be an "all pro" at his position is worth being picked at 17. I'm personally not convinced that you can couple a average speed TE with another average speed TE and come up with Gronk numbers.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  8. #28
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    16,037
    17. Pittsburgh Steelers—TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

    One of Kiper’s most curious picks comes at No. 17, where he has the Steelers taking the best TE on the board—Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert.

    Warranted because of the devastating injury to current TE and Ben Roethlisberger favorite Heath Miller (via Chris Adamski of CBS Sports), Eifert has the athletic ability and receiver skills to take over the position full-time in a few seasons.

    However, the Steelers are getting extremely thin on defense after a flurry of offseason casualties, and adding a new pass-rusher to replace the production of James Harrison shouldn’t be overlooked. While I understand Kiper’s decision to place Eifert as high as I’ve seen him in any mock, there are other positions that need filling.

    Kiper's Second-Round Mock

    Pick Team Player School
    33 Jacksonville QB Matt Barkley USC
    34 San Francisco (via KC) S Matt Elam Florida
    35 Philadelphia OT Menelik Watson Florida State
    36 Detroit DE Bjoern Werner Florida State
    37 Cincinnati (via OAK) S Shamarko Thomas Syracuse
    38 Arizona DE Datone Jones UCLA
    39 New York Jets TE Zach Ertz Stanford
    40 Tennessee WR Keenan Allen Cal-Berkeley
    41 Buffalo QB Ryan Nassib Syracuse
    42 Miami DE Tank Carradine Florida State
    43 Tampa Bay CB Jamar Taylor Boise State
    44 Carolina S D.J. Swearinger South Carolina
    45 San Diego LB Arthur Brown Kansas State
    46 St. Louis RB Montee Ball Wisconsin
    47 Dallas OL Justin Pugh Syracuse
    48 Pittsburgh OLB Cornelius Washington Georgia
    49 New York Giants LB Sio Moore Connecticut
    50 Chicago DT Jesse Williams Alabama
    51 Washington CB Bildi Wreh-Wilson Connecticut
    52 Minnesota DT Kawann Short Purdue
    53 Cincinnati CB Johnthan Banks Mississippi State
    54 Miami (from IND) CB Robert Alford S.E. Louisiana
    55 Green Bay S J.J. Wilcox Georgia Southern
    56 Seattle DT Johnathan Hankins Ohio State
    57 Houston DT John Jenkins Georgia
    58 Denver DE Damontre Moore Texas A&M
    59 New England CB Tyrann Mathieu LSU
    60 Atlanta LB Khaseem Greene Rutgers
    61 San Francisco TE Gavin Escobar San Diego State
    62 Baltimore OT Terron Armstead Arkansas-Pine Bluff

    Note: Cleveland forfeits its second-round pick after selecting WR Josh Gordon in 2012 Supplemental draft (via NFL.com). New Orleans forfeits its second-round pick due to Bounty Gate scandal (via USA Today).

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nt-projections

  9. #29
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If TE is an increasingly important position, than wouldn't a player drafted to stop the TE (such as Vaccaro) be just as important?

    I go back and forth on Vaccaro and Jones as players, but if Vaccaro is a top-flight safety with coverage ability, or if Jones is an elite pass rushing and playmaking OLB, those are certainly building block type players.
    Lots of "ifs" for these guys to be building blocks! I'm pretty certain you would get about 30 catches minimum out of Eifert his rookie year.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #30
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,651
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I say yes... anybody who is going to be an "all pro" at his position is worth being picked at 17. I'm personally not convinced that you can couple a average speed TE with another average speed TE and come up with Gronk numbers.
    Yeah... one thing people forget about Gronk is the system he is in.. Pats throw the ball a ton, put him at RB and spread teams out so much it makes life easy for a TE.

    I don't see Gronk when I see Eifert play.. not sure what the hell anyone has seen in Eifert that makes them an All Pro.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •