Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Do not be fooled! Jarvis Jones is elite.

  1. #31
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Why draft any defensive players at all if they never play?

    Just draft a QB, a WR, a RB, a FB, a TE, an OT, and OG, and an OC with our 8 picks.

    Sarcasm in extreme amounts.
    I agree.... even if Polamalu's clone is available... don't draft him because he won't be "Polamalu in his prime" for at least 1 year.

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Watch again...You will see it. I watched so much that I came to another conclusion....Jones isn't even the best player on that defense.

    Stats don't dictate the athlete...You will see below. You were one who pushed Moore down on his workouts. Jones lays an egg and you sing a different song. Jones doesn't move laterally good either. He put up lineman cone times and look bad in LB drills.

    Jones 85 TT 24.5 TFL & 14.5 Sacks. You want to throw stats? Moore 85TT 21 TFL & 12.5 Sacks ALSO in SEC. Guess what? Jones was a 23 year old. Too bad he couldn't stay another year...He could try for 20 sacks. Moore was only 20 with those stats. When Jones was a 20 year old freshman at USC he got 13 TT & 1.5 TFL in 8 games.

    Since you like the stats, the last four years in NCAA sacks leaders were Mercilius (Drafted 26) 55 TT/22.5 TFL/16 SK, Bowers (Drafted 51) 66 TT/25 TFL/15 SK, Miller (Drafted 2)48 TT/21.5 TFL/16.5 SK, & Hughes (Drafted 31) 52 TT/ 19.5 TFL/ 15 SK. Rookie year in NFL? Mercilius 16G/4S - 6 sacks. Bowers 16G/6S - 1.5 sacks. Miller 15G/15S - 11.5 sacks. Hughes 12G/0S - 0 sacks.


    Only Miller made an impact his rookie year.


    There are players who put up as you say "Beast" numbers long before Jones and didn't do anything in the NFL their rookie year. There is no reason to believe he has any better chance than the rest in that line.
    You are way off here JPN. These just aren't stats. These are monster stats. These are take over game stats.

    How many of those guys that you list played in the SEC? Dont you think that is another level of play? And I am pretty sure the only one who made an impact his rookie year was a player who played in the SEC.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  3. #33
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,377
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I agree.... even if Polamalu's clone is available... don't draft him because he won't be "Polamalu in his prime" for at least 1 year.
    Yup...the best GM's aren't necessarily drafting with the 2013 season in mind. Much more concerned about 2014-2020 and beyond.

    Drafting for immediate need gets you Troy Edwards with 61 catches for 714 yards and 5 TD's as a rookie, then diddly-poo afterward.

    Drafting with a long-term view gets you Troy Polamalu with 38 tackles and zero starts as a rookie, then a Hall of Fame career afterward.

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You mean our 30 year old TE coming off a major kneee injury who may not be able to play at the beginning of 2013. Yeah, why draft a TE who could play significant minutes starting early his rookie year.

    Let's get LeBeau another toy he can put on the shelf for a couple of years before he opens the box and plays with it. Makes so much sense (sarcasm in extreme amounts).
    Are you guys not paying attention to what is going on in the NFL? Players are coming back from knee injuries in 4 months now. Any one who thinks that Heath Miller will not be ready to go at the start of next season isn't paying attention to is going on in the NFL.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  5. #35
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    You are way off here JPN. These just aren't stats. These are monster stats. These are take over game stats.

    How many of those guys that you list played in the SEC? Dont you think that is another level of play? And I am pretty sure the only one who made an impact his rookie year was a player who played in the SEC.
    Stats taken out of context are misleading. Look at his games. He dominated slow footed tackles. In these games he stacked up sacks and stats. He went up against NFL tackles versus Texas A&M he didn't produce.

    I could actually see him dominating at ILB in the 3-4.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Stats taken out of context are misleading. Look at his games. He dominated slow footed tackles. In these games he stacked up sacks and stats. He went up against NFL tackles versus Texas A&M he didn't produce.

    I could actually see him dominating at ILB in the 3-4.

    Ok you are no longer allowed to talk about Jarvis Jones. You just proved you do not know anything about him. He never played versus Texas A &M.

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...3/jarvis-jones

    You guys crack me up. You use Alabama's offensive line to bash Manti Te'o but ignore it versus Jarvis Jones. Hilarious.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ok you are no longer allowed to talk about Jarvis Jones. You just proved you do not know anything about him. He never played versus Texas A &M.

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...3/jarvis-jones

    You guys crack me up. You use Alabama's offensive line to bash Manti Te'o but ignore it versus Jarvis Jones. Hilarious.
    Yeah, that was my bad. I meant to put an "IF" in front of "He went up against". My main point being he struggles against NFL quality type tackles.

    The only team with real quality tackles he faced was Alabama.
    Last edited by BigRob; 04-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  8. #38
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Are you guys not paying attention to what is going on in the NFL? Players are coming back from knee injuries in 4 months now. Any one who thinks that Heath Miller will not be ready to go at the start of next season isn't paying attention to is going on in the NFL.
    I would not be surprised at all to see Heath Miller be ready for the start of the regular season or at worst only miss the first 1/4 of the season...

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I agree.... even if Polamalu's clone is available... don't draft him because he won't be "Polamalu in his prime" for at least 1 year.
    using that logic, why ever draft a defensive player?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Are you guys not paying attention to what is going on in the NFL? Players are coming back from knee injuries in 4 months now. Any one who thinks that Heath Miller will not be ready to go at the start of next season isn't paying attention to is going on in the NFL.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •