Thread: The Steelers sign SLY

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers sign SLY

Steelers sign free agent Sylvester
    April 3, 2013 11:46 am
    Share with others:
    inShare. By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers signed another of their own free agents today, inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester.

Sylvester became an unrestricted free agent after the Steelers did not issue him a tender as a restricted free agent. They drafted him in the fifth round in 2010 after he played at Utah. He played in ten games last season and had no defensive statistics. Sylvester has started one game in his career and played in 41.

The Steelers also entertained three other unrestricted free agents today along with two more draft prospects.

The veterans visiting their facility are former Pitt running back LaRod Stephens-Howling (Cardinals), linebacker Tavares Gooden (Ravens) and guard Antoine Caldwell (Texans).

The college prospects are Penn State inside linebacker Michael Mauti and linebacker Malliciah Goodman of Clemson.

Ed Bouchette: [email]ebouchette@post-gazette.com[/email], on Twitter: @EdBouchette
    First Published April 3, 2013 11:44 am

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sign-free-agent-sylvester-681924/#ixzz2PQ0q6NBh[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess that it is fair to say that he was signed at a price well below the $1.323M lowest RFA tender. Somewhere around the league min which would be around $700-800K for a three year player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I guess that it is fair to say that he was signed at a price well below the $1.323M lowest RFA tender. Somewhere around the league min which would be around $700-800K for a three year player.
    With our cap situation, that half-mil difference is plenty significant.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We were on his short list of interested teams, apparently.

Seriously, at one time there was some excitement over him on this board. Hope he outdoes current expectations.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's the perfect signee for LeBeau because "he knows the defense." Talent has nothing to do with it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I liked him early on cause he was a hustler. I still think he can be the Deshea Townsend of LBs. Nothing great, but can eventually get on the right track. It took Deshea a long time before he became a solid contributor.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He was a demon on special teams the first two years, but plays with a high pad level for LB according to K. Butler.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He's the perfect signee for LeBeau because "he knows the defense." Talent has nothing to do with it.
    You are exactly right. The grass is always greener. Anybody who has not played for the Steelers before must be better than anybody who plays for them now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Sign Sylvester And What That Could Mean

Apr 3rd, 2013 by Craig Gottschalk

The Steelers signed Stevenson Sylvester to a one year deal on Wednesday. Sylvester was an RFA at the start of the offseason but became an UFA after the team decided to not offer a tender by the deadline. The deal is reportedly less than the $1.3 million he would have received were the team to offer him the original tender.

The move of not signing Sylvester and then getting him for less money could be seen as sound economics by the Steelers. Knowing that Sylvester was injury plagued all last season and only contributed on special teams, the Steelers probably had a hunch that Sylvester wouldn’t be a hot commodity during free agency. Like fellow linebacker James Harrison, no one seems to want the unwanted…. unless you’re the Steelers brass. A good deal for the Steelers who are in need of linebacker help after releasing Harrison and failing to lock up any other ‘significant’ free agent, such as Victor Butler. But, let us remember that Sylvester is an inside linebacker and does not play well on the outside.

What this says about the state of the inside linebacking core is not a good one. Even though shoring up the middle with depth is a good move (and I’m all for it), it gives me great pause. What this really means for the Steelers is that 2012 rookie Sean Spence is no where near a full recovery. Spence, as you recall, severely injured his knee during the Steelers final preseason game in 2012. Thought of as the eventual replacement to James Farrior, Spence had a solid preseason up to the injury. There was no way to know at that point if Spence would over the course of the season step up and over teammate Larry Foote in the depth chart. If Spence were nearing the end of his road to recovery, I would expect the Steelers would place him back at #2 on the depth chart and allow him some playing time behind both Foote and Lawrence Timmons. By signing Sylvester, after presumably no wanting him by making the tendered offer, it says to me that Spence is a long ways off from stepping onto the football field in a game situation.

The Steelers need depth and they need familiarity with the system – Foote’s age, pass coverage inconsistencies, and the need for special teams personnel were probably all factors in getting Sylvester back on the roster. The signing also more than likely signifies that the Steelers are done shopping for a free agent linebacker…. at least until June 1st when they get almost $5 million in saved money from releasing Willie Colon.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/04/03/steelers-sign-sylvester-and-what-that-could-means/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

I've seen Spence's injury compared to the one suffered by Robert Edwards, the Pats RB who blew out his knee years ago in the sand football game at the Pro Bowl. I'll be absolutely shocked if he ever plays a down in the NFL, and I think the Steelers are quietly acknowledging that truth.