Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin scares me

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd rather have a TE to block and catch the occasional TD over some LBers vs having this LIGHTNING ROD....(shakes head). Was Emmitt Smith or Warick Dunn too small? How about Barry Sanders?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Yeah, you could make that argument about anyone in the draft...they were all just competing against college competition before....
    He's 170lbs. It's 100x more likely he's gonna get hurt than other players with size.

I like the kid, but realistically he should be a 3-5 round pick. No way should we be talking about him as a 1st rounder. If he's a first rounder, he better return 3x as many kicks for TDs as Devon Hester.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    He's 170lbs. It's 100x more likely he's gonna get hurt than other players with size.

I like the kid, but realistically he should be a 3-5 round pick. No way should we be talking about him as a 1st rounder. If he's a first rounder, he better return 3x as many kicks for TDs as Devon Hester.
    Hester was a DB coming out of college. He didn't really fit anywhere on the D or O side of the ball. If I remember correctly people were down on his defensive skills. His return ability was never really questioned. That is why he lasted until the third round. No one is questioning Tavon's offensive ability. The only thing everyone here is saying is he is to small, which is the dumbest argument anyone here can make. Duce Staley was 5'11 and 242 lbs and he couldn't stay on the field. There are just as many examples of smaller players being judged incorrectly because of their size. It is pure ignorance.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Hester was a DB coming out of college. He didn't really fit anywhere on the D or O side of the ball. If I remember correctly people were down on his defensive skills. His return ability was never really questioned. That is why he lasted until the third round. No one is questioning Tavon's offensive ability. The only thing everyone here is saying is he is to small, which is the dumbest argument anyone here can make. Duce Staley was 5'11 and 242 lbs and he couldn't stay on the field. There are just as many examples of smaller players being judged incorrectly because of their size. It is pure ignorance.

Who was the last 170lber to be drafted at 17?

The kid is an injury waiting to happen. He just doesn't have an NFL body. Sure you can take a chance with a much later pick, but it'd be silly to pick him early.

Doug Flutie was an awesome college player, but he didn't have the size for the NFL. No knock on him. Maybe he makes it if given a legit chance, but odds are against it so he never gets a break. Drew Brees is a tiny guy that's done great. But why risk it? Of course as you get later in the draft and there's no guarantees on any player you pick, that's when you can take a chance.

I just think it's crazy to consider a guy this small in the first round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Based on his highlight reel in this thread one thing is for sure he is dangerous in the open field. In the receiving portion of the his highlights he always seemed to be wide open. He made one back shoulder catch on the goal line and gained enough separation on a shallow crossing pattern, but other than that he was typically wide open or behind the defense. While that may be the case occasionally in the NFL I doubt that it occurs often enough to make a 10 minute highlight reel. I would have liked to see more highlights of at lease reasonable coverage. Now, maybe no one was near him because he's a great route runner and very elusive or maybe the DBs were bad.

He is triple threat, he can be a factor in the return game, running game and passing game. I just don't know if 1.17 is where to take him.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Like I said, I am not saying TAKE HIM at 17, but if it happens, he's not going to disappoint, contrary to the OP point about him....like I said, was Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, or Warrick Dunn any bigger? NO. But I'm telling you, this guy is going to wreak havoc on the league next year, just wait and see.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't remember Pat White getting hit that hard in college... then he met Ike Taylor.

These guys can definitely have an impact and a long career in the NFL but c'mon... we are talking Steelers here, Gilbert will crush this kid in Latrobe.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't remember Pat White getting hit that hard in college... then he met Ike Taylor.

These guys can definitely have an impact and a long career in the NFL but c'mon... we are talking Steelers here, Gilbert will crush this kid in Latrobe.
    Pat White is the same size as Chris Johnson and he had concussion history during his College career. So the size card doesn't apply there and it was a past injury issue. Tavon has no past injury issues. He hasn't missed a game in 8 years. We can agree to disagree I guess.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Was Emmitt Smith or Warick Dunn too small? How about Barry Sanders?

i think you just compared a 174lb guy (Austin) with a 200 lb guy (Sanders) and a 210 lb guy (Emmitt)... Warrick Dunn was almost as small as him... iirc, he was listed between 180-190 for most of his career...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

I won't argue the point any more, but you'll see....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION