Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT Steve McLendon visits with the Green Bay Packers

Legend

User Info Menu

NT Steve McLendon visits with the Green Bay Packers

Steve McLendon visited with the Green Bay Packers

By Neal Coolong on Apr 17 2013

A failure to match any offer sheet given to restricted free agent Steve McLendon would not yield compensation for the Steelers.

Baltimore Sun and Scout.com writer Aaron Wilson tweeted Wednesday Steelers restricted free agent nose tackle Steve McLendon visited with the Green Bay Packers.

No offer sheet has reportedly been signed, but the visit itself, combined with the lack of compensation, could make the fourth-year player an attractive option for a team in need of defensive line depth - like the Packers.

If McLendon signs an offer sheet the Steelers do not wish to match, he will leave without compensation since he was not drafted.

This comes as something of a surprise, considering the general lack of playing time McLendon received from the Steelers in 2012. The tender offer itself, $1.3 million, is the same amount given to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who signed an offer sheet with the New England Patriots that the Steelers eventually matched.

Running backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman also were given original round tender offers. Dwyer signed his quickly after it was given, but Redman has not yet done so.

McLendon was considered to be the likely starter at nose tackle this year.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/17/4236726/steve-mclendon-visit-green-bay-packers[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I certainly appreciate Hampton's contributions over the years but I don't want him to return. I hope McClendon stays so it doesn't give us another hole to fill.

Plus I was going to draft a NT for Green Bay in the mock, lol! A
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting. After paying up for Sanders, the Steelers might be over the barrell on this one if the Packers sign him for anything close to $2m- they won't have the cap space without releasing or restructuring another player.

To be completely honest- Chadman isn't overly upset at the prospect of losing McLendon, whose value appears to be held in higher account by the fans than his stats or onfield performance indicate it should be.

AND.... if he goes, there WILL be value at NT early in the draft- maybe even in Round 1.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Treason!! Pull the tender right now!!

<sarcasm>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Treason!! Pull the tender right now!!

<sarcasm>
    Chadman sits, waiting for Antonio Brown to go to the media about this one...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman sits, waiting for Antonio Brown to go to the media about this one...
    Going to the media...the Steelers way....

This one does make you say WTF? Why would you tender your projected starting NT @ $1.3M? That's the key to the whole 3-4.

Although to Chadman's earlier point, I'm not really gonna miss McClendon that bad if he goes. I never thought he fit the 3-4 NT position. And I'm not sure the coaches did either.

One thing I did notice last season, as Casey got healthy and recovered from his injury, that's when our D started playing significantly better. Makes me wonder if we should bring Casey back for one more year? I still don't see us having any answer yet.

The one guy on the roster that I think could be the biggest surprise of this season might be Fangupo. Fangupo is to Casey as Cortez is to Ike.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is Jonathan Jenkins from Georgia a possibility if McClendon leaves before the draft?
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Is Jonathan Jenkins from Georgia a possibility if McClendon leaves before the draft?
    Actually, after watching some film on him, not that impressed with Jenkins. For such a big guy, he doesn't hold the line that well.

Hankins out of Ohio fits better.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Actually, after watching some film on him, not that impressed with Jenkins. For such a big guy, he doesn't hold the line that well.

Hankins out of Ohio fits better.
    OK, think he's still available at 48? Not sure I'd go with either at 17.
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't care much either way on this. I'm fine going to camp with McLendon as the projected starter, otherwise we go in with two projects in Fangupo and Ta'amu, the idea of moving Hood inside as has been discussed often and tried sparingly, and the possibility of a draft pick. McLendon is not hands down better than the rest.