Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin scares me

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tavon Austin scares me

So I keep seeing many of the prognoticators saying that the Steelers will pick up Tavon Austin in the first round of the NFL draft to replace Mike Wallace. Ok, so let's say he steps in Day 1 and replaces Mike Wallace? That would be great and you can't argue with the reasoning. But there is just something to me that says a 5'9, 174 pound guy just isn't going to take the pounding that slot receivers tend to take.

Am I insane? I'd rather have Eifert. I also realize that this is why the Steeles don't ask me my opinion.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Austin would be a terrible Round 1 pick. He has great talent but you have to question his durability. Now if you wnated to trade up in Round 2 to grab him I'm OK for that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Alright, maybe I'm not just missing something after all. I saw one 'expert' had him as a top ten pick. I can only imagine Tayvon Austin doing a short middle of the field route and getting hit by Patrick Willis and then getting the dropsies for the rest of the season.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If I had to pick a WR from this class it would be Hopkins, he may not have the speed of Austin but would be more durable, but what I like about Hopkins he finds the end zone on a regular basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

I want to get a big WR with body control a la Anquan Boldin. He and McKinnie were the two biggest reasons that the Ravens won the SB, and with the rules the way they are now, a Boldin type is the new prototype.

Legend

User Info Menu

Where are these durability questions coming from? In 4 years at WVU Austin never missed a game. Why? You can't get a solid lick on him. I'm not advocating for him in the first, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset about it. He's be a day one contributor.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Where are these durability questions coming from? In 4 years at WVU Austin never missed a game. Why? You can't get a solid lick on him. I'm not advocating for him in the first, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset about it. He's be a day one contributor.
    College guys can't get a solid lick on him. The NFL is a different animal altogether. I don't think that there is doubt about his talent, just that he'll get a taste of NFL speed and hitting and his body won't be able to take it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    Am I insane? I'd rather have Eifert. I also realize that this is why the Steeles don't ask me my opinion.
    did u just seriously use Austin to start yet ANOTHER Eifert thread? LMAO

In any event, the team has bigger needs (than both positions) AND even Wallace himself wasn't a 1st rounder AND if the team is going to a possession offense, they might be better served looking for a guy who likes working the middle (are there any Hines clones in this draft?)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    did u just seriously use Austin to start yet ANOTHER Eifert thread? LMAO

In any event, the team has bigger needs (than both positions) AND even Wallace himself wasn't a 1st rounder AND if the team is going to a possession offense, they might be better served looking for a guy who likes working the middle (are there any Hines clones in this draft?)
    Quinton Patton is similar to Hines from what I've read and he's a round 2 prospect.

I personally would prefer Keenan Allen. After having to catch wild passes from his brother for 2 years, he is very good at going and getting the ball, which is an ability our other receivers have been lacking.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I want to get a big WR with body control a la Anquan Boldin. He and McKinnie were the two biggest reasons that the Ravens won the SB, and with the rules the way they are now, a Boldin type is the new prototype.
    Sounds like you are describing Tyler Eifert, a "huge" "receiver" with great body control and the ability to overpower defenders.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"