Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin scares me

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Of all the 'high round' WR's available Chadman would take Markus Wheaton in Round 2 as the preference, or if his character holds up- DaRick Rogers.

Starting to wish that Arians drafts Eifert at Arizona & buries him on the depth chart.

You're talking Arians not LeBeau. Arians actually lets players play and doesn't impose two year blackout periods on a talented player getting on the field.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I would be willing to wager that Eifert & Ertz are both gone by our 2nd pick (unless we trade).
    That is absolutley the case. Eifert will be gone in Round 1 and Ertz will be gone before the 10th pick in Round 2.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I would be willing to wager that Eifert & Ertz are both gone by our 2nd pick (unless we trade).

I agree, but maybe the Football Gods step in like last year when we picked up DeCasrto and we land one of them.
    Eifert would elevate our offense, but some here feel we have the great Mark Bavarro and Dave Casper already on the roster with Spaeth and Paulson.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You know, Paulson played well last year, it's hard to knock a 7th round pick for getting on the field and making a few plays his rookie year. That's not bad. I read somewhere where Ertz had small hands, then I thought "didn't Sweed have small hands". I did some research, sure enough he did. Now that doesn't mean Ertz won't be a great pro, Limas had some pretty serious issues but it does make me wonder a little bit.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    You know, Paulson played well last year, it's hard to knock a 7th round pick for getting on the field and making a few plays his rookie year. That's not bad. I read somewhere where Ertz had small hands, then I thought "didn't Sweed have small hands". I did some research, sure enough he did. Now that doesn't mean Ertz won't be a great pro, Limas had some pretty serious issues but it does make me wonder a little bit.
    Eifert is the only TE worth taking early, the concern with Ertz is
    Very short arms (31 3/4 inches) for his height - limited catch radius

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Jooser and pfelix72 are the only two people in this thread I agree with. Everyone else is wrong. If you are afraid of Tavon Austin it should be because another team drafted him and you now have to deal with him. Everyone here concerned about his durability and his size are just plain wrong. That is no an opinion. It is a fact.
    Ding Ding Ding! Not to hijack this thread back onto what the original subject was...but, let me predicate my position by stating that I am not necessarily advocating for Austin in round one, but to be scared of this pick is ludicrous. He's a multi-dimensional type of player who can be your slot guy or your out of the backfield "change of pace" guy. He keeps the chains moving and and can strike for a TD from anywhere. The proof is in the pudding folks.

The only people tackling him are his teammates in the endzone. No he isn't too tall, and no he isn't a big bodied receiver, but what he is...IS ELECTRIC !
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wouldn't touch Austin in round 1. But I do see the NFL changing and WRs have all the advantage. Technically, no one should be able to touch him and he is electrifying, but still, someone would touch him and he could easily be done that one hit.

I do think someone will end up taking him in round 1 for that very reason. Probably the Pats.
    Yeah, you could make that argument about anyone in the draft...they were all just competing against college competition before....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tavon Austin's Stats against top level teams with players in the NFL that he will meet or has already met on the field. This is just a small sample and I left most of the Big East teams off the list.

Date OPP Result Rec YDS AVG LNG TD Rush Att YDS AVG LNG TD
    10/6/12 Texas W 48-45 10 102 10.2 40 1 1 6 6 6 0
    10/20/12 KSU L 49-14 6 34 5.7 11 1 0 0 0 0 0
    11/17/12 OU L 50-49 4 82 20.5 41 0 21 344 16.4 74 2
    9/24/11 LSU L 47-21 11 187 17.0 72 0 0 0 0 0 0
    1/4/12 Clemson W 70-33 12 123 10.3 37 4 3 40 13.3 23 0
    10/29/11 Rutgers W 41-31 8 67 8.4 20 1 2 96 48 80 1

With that said I am not saying the Steelers need to draft him in the first round. We will go Defense this year, but if it were to happen for some reason, I would have zero concern about it. Stedman Bailey in the third would be a good WR pick up for us.
    Last edited by calmkiller; 04-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Starter

User Info Menu

IMO if the defensive players we are interested in are off the board we could easily go WR or... even TE. IMO, it will be BPA in round 1.

My name is Blacknblue80s and I am not afraid of Tavon Austin.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You're talking Arians not LeBeau. Arians actually lets players play and doesn't impose two year blackout periods on a talented player getting on the field.
    Ov, I think that Chadman's point is that TEs aren't given a chance to produce in Arians' offense.