Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin scares me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sounds like you are describing Tyler Eifert, a "huge" "receiver" with great body control and the ability to overpower defenders.
    dude...

perseverancedemotivator.jpg
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't touch Austin in round 1. But I do see the NFL changing and WRs have all the advantage. Technically, no one should be able to touch him and he is electrifying, but still, someone would touch him and he could easily be done that one hit.

I do think someone will end up taking him in round 1 for that very reason. Probably the Pats.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wouldn't touch Austin in round 1. But I do see the NFL changing and WRs have all the advantage. Technically, no one should be able to touch him and he is electrifying, but still, someone would touch him and he could easily be done that one hit.

I do think someone will end up taking him in round 1 for that very reason. Probably the Pats.
    Yeah, you could make that argument about anyone in the draft...they were all just competing against college competition before....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sounds like you are describing Tyler Eifert, a "huge" "receiver" with great body control and the ability to overpower defenders.
    If he's wants a Boldin / Roddy White clone then DeAndre Hopkins is it. Very possible he'll be the best WR in this draft class and one of the "safer" offensive skill position picks overall.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

John Gruden was asked about Tavon in an interview. Here is what he had to say:

Q. I was wondering what your thoughts were on Tavon Austin?

GRUDEN: Tavon Austin, I'm glad you brought him up. He's my favorite player in the draft. I'm sensitive to him because he's 5'8" like myself. When you watch the kid play, he's magnificent. He's a great return man, punts, kicks. He lines up at tailback, and he plays like a tailback. He looks like Darren Sproles at tailback and he looks like Wes Welker in the slot.
    I've seen him be magnificent after the catch, all-purpose yardage, look, he's tough. Tremendous stop and start quickness and flat‑out finishing speed. I've seen quick guys, fast players, but I've never seen very many that have the combination of speed and quickness like Austin has. He ran for 8,000 yards as a high school tailback in Maryland, and he averaged 7 or 8 yards a carry this year when they handed it to him. He's just a fun, deluxe joker to have on your football team. He's going to make an impact, I believe, big time.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Where are these durability questions coming from? In 4 years at WVU Austin never missed a game. Why? You can't get a solid lick on him. I'm not advocating for him in the first, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset about it. He's be a day one contributor.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Where are these durability questions coming from? In 4 years at WVU Austin never missed a game. Why? You can't get a solid lick on him. I'm not advocating for him in the first, but if it happened I wouldn't be too upset about it. He's be a day one contributor.
    College guys can't get a solid lick on him. The NFL is a different animal altogether. I don't think that there is doubt about his talent, just that he'll get a taste of NFL speed and hitting and his body won't be able to take it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    Am I insane? I'd rather have Eifert. I also realize that this is why the Steeles don't ask me my opinion.
    did u just seriously use Austin to start yet ANOTHER Eifert thread? LMAO

In any event, the team has bigger needs (than both positions) AND even Wallace himself wasn't a 1st rounder AND if the team is going to a possession offense, they might be better served looking for a guy who likes working the middle (are there any Hines clones in this draft?)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    did u just seriously use Austin to start yet ANOTHER Eifert thread? LMAO

In any event, the team has bigger needs (than both positions) AND even Wallace himself wasn't a 1st rounder AND if the team is going to a possession offense, they might be better served looking for a guy who likes working the middle (are there any Hines clones in this draft?)
    Quinton Patton is similar to Hines from what I've read and he's a round 2 prospect.

I personally would prefer Keenan Allen. After having to catch wild passes from his brother for 2 years, he is very good at going and getting the ball, which is an ability our other receivers have been lacking.

Another AS masterpiece.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s View Post
    Quinton Patton is similar to Hines from what I've read and he's a round 2 prospect.
    I really like Patton and I hope the Steelers find a way to draft him in the second. If Austin is the pick, that gives us 3 smallish WRs. I know we have Plex but it would be nice to have a larger WR as one of the top 3. Although as I say this, Patton is 6' and 204 so he's not huge but is a very willing blocker as well as having good hands.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska