Thread: top performers in 2012 rookie class

Backup

User Info Menu

top performers in 2012 rookie class

Curious to know what others think about the top 2012 rookie performers (for the steelers).
    My top two picks are Will Johnson and Kelvin Beachum, with Paulson maybe being considered up there somewhere.
    Hopefully some of our high picks will stay healthy this year (and stay out of trouble) and produce like they are capable of. As of right now though, it's looking like the last round of the draft and an undrafted rookie are the only ones standing in the way of the 2012 class being one of the worst rookie classes in recent memory. Any thoughts?

I was extremely pleased with the picks on draft day last year... as luck will have it though, the class hadn't worked out as planned for various reasons(at least initially). Hoping for more out of these guys in 2013, at least the ones who are still with the team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Curious to know what others think about the top 2012 rookie performers (for the steelers).
    My top two picks are Will Johnson and Kelvin Beachum, with Paulson maybe being considered up there somewhere.
    Hopefully some of our high picks will stay healthy this year (and stay out of trouble) and produce like they are capable of. As of right now though, it's looking like the last round of the draft and an undrafted rookie are the only ones standing in the way of the 2012 class being one of the worst rookie classes in recent memory. Any thoughts?

I was extremely pleased with the picks on draft day last year... as luck will have it though, the class hadn't worked out as planned for various reasons(at least initially). Hoping for more out of these guys in 2013, at least the ones who are still with the team.
    I remember thinking we hit a home run with the 2012 draft. I was so excited to see the season start ... and then came preseason and the injury to Double D, then the injury to Spence, then the disaster with Ta'amu and finally the off season debacle with Rainey. I ended up being most happy with Adams who was the one I was most unsure of after the draft.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You know, I don't personally recall hearing much about Johnson but I only get to actually watch a few games per year, Paulson and Beachum both however seemed to play well when called upon. Until he got injured, I really can't complain about Mike Adams either, he played alright, the rook didn't get his quaterback killed and that's job #1.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought it was a good draft but the injuries hurt that class. It was good though to see many of them get playing time, something you don't see usually in rookie seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thought Adams played quite well last year & was easily the Steelers "Rookie of the Year".

Beachum has limited playing time but exceeded expectations & Paulson didn't look out of place.

Quite like what we saw out of Rainey before he beat up on women.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Adams has a huge upside. He was a first round talent.

I was excited about all of the picks (didn't know much about Spence at the time). I was excited to hear that he was doing very well in summer practice last year. Hopefully he will recover. I noticed their big nose tackle was back on the practice squad before the end of the year. Maybe he will get his head screwed on straight and make an impact this year.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    You know, I don't personally recall hearing much about Johnson but I only get to actually watch a few games per year, Paulson and Beachum both however seemed to play well when called upon. Until he got injured, I really can't complain about Mike Adams either, he played alright, the rook didn't get his quaterback killed and that's job #1.
    I took a personal interest to Johnson because he played for WVU (my home state). He was a unique story, playing TE in college... being out of football for a year. Works his tail off in the weightroom. Picks up a ton of speed and strength. Shows up at a WVU pro day last year and benches 225 for 40 reps and runs a 4.5 second 40 yard dash. The kid was basically a non factor (in college) in an offense that didn't use Tight Ends. Works his tail off and now looks to have a bright future in the NFL (with a little luck). Kinda reminds me of a Willie Parker type of story.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    I think Adams has a huge upside. He was a first round talent.

I was excited about all of the picks (didn't know much about Spence at the time). I was excited to hear that he was doing very well in summer practice last year. Hopefully he will recover. I noticed their big nose tackle was back on the practice squad before the end of the year. Maybe he will get his head screwed on straight and make an impact this year.
    Agreed about Adams (waiting for Shawn's head to explode).

Unfortunately for Spense, things do not sound promising for him. Pity, because he was a real playmaker in college.

Ta'amu..... if he isn't lights-out at Training Camp, he might get a visit from 'The Turk' before Camp closes. Chadman has to believe that's a short leash right there.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

Yea, I was as excited about the NT as I was the Adams pick, because he was described as a late 2nd or early 3rd round talent. Seemed to be a bargain when we got him in the 4th round.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I loved all of our picks last year. DeCastro, Adams and Ta'Amu were my favorites.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa