Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers insider: NFL feeling effects of owners’ labor win

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    obviously all Art II's fault...
    No, because he wasn't born until 1952 and the team began play in 1933.

Way to avoid the point though.

Still won't change the facts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    No, because he wasn't born until 1952 and the team began play in 1933.

Way to avoid the point though.

Still won't change the facts.
    that little detail shouldn't stop you from blaming our two-bit meddlesome owner...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    that little detail shouldn't stop you from blaming our two-bit meddlesome owner...
    Yep. And when Tomlin gets fed up and walks because of him? Maybe you'll realize how bad it really is.

Art already cost them one season. What he should have done after it was publicly apologize in the press to his HOF quarterback.

The same way he insulted him after 2011.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    And that's why the quality of play will begin to decline like Cindrich alluded to. Players big payday will be their initial contract and not their second or their second may be the biggest, but it won't be nearly as big as they are now. Players will retire earlier and I guess that's a good thing, because we all know how much roger Goodell is worried about their health. Right?

Pappy
    Not true at all. Just need to implement a defensive system where players can succeed simply by winning one on one battles rather than relying on trickery. Also, offensive players start year one all the time, even for us. Load up the offense if you have a top 5 QB. Give him a steady OL that doesn't fall apart every season within 4 games due to injury and a RB that isn't out of shape and requesting to come off the field every other play, or one that isn't a walking injury.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Cindrich is wrong. Easy to complain about the system today, but the bottom line is no one is offering a reasonable alternative to the team salary cap. How do you propose you prevent the haves and have nots without such an arrangement? To me, the cap is the best solution because it offers teams the ultimate in flexibility to sign players based on their needs and systems. If a team chooses not to sign a $100M QB, they have flexibility to sign a $65M CB and a $35M LB for example. So no system is perfect, but the cap is actually useful in keeping teams as equal as possible from a financial standpoint.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Not true at all. Just need to implement a defensive system where players can succeed simply by winning one on one battles rather than relying on trickery. Also, offensive players start year one all the time, even for us. Load up the offense if you have a top 5 QB. Give him a steady OL that doesn't fall apart every season within 4 games due to injury and a RB that isn't out of shape and requesting to come off the field every other play, or one that isn't a walking injury.
    I completely agree with what you said on both sides of the ball. The only people we fool anymore with our defensive "trickery" is ourselves as our decreasing sacks and INTs clearly show.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Cindrich is wrong. Easy to complain about the system today, but the bottom line is no one is offering a reasonable alternative to the team salary cap. How do you propose you prevent the haves and have nots without such an arrangement? To me, the cap is the best solution because it offers teams the ultimate in flexibility to sign players based on their needs and systems. If a team chooses not to sign a $100M QB, they have flexibility to sign a $65M CB and a $35M LB for example. So no system is perfect, but the cap is actually useful in keeping teams as equal as possible from a financial standpoint.
    I agree, but I would modify the salary cap to allow one "veteran exemption" where you can exempt all or part of the salary of a player who has been on the roster for 5 years from the cap. The reality is that teams with a franchise QB are effectively punished at a disprpotionate level because of the salary of these players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Cindrich is in no way stating there should not be a salary cap. What he's saying is the cap isn't raising as it should to be in line with the ever increasing revenues. He's saying players are getting squeezed out because the cap is stagnate.

The NFL revenues have gone from $8.5 Billion in 2009 to $9.7 Billion in 2012 and with new TV deals coming in 2104, that number will only continue to rise. But the cap is not getting any real benefit from this increase.
    Cap:
    2009 - $123M
    2010 - uncapped (working out CB deal - Dallas and Washington lost many millions for being shady with front loaded deals this season)
    2011 - $120.3
    2012 - $120.6
    2013 - $123.9

There's no reason the cap couldn't be $130 this year. Or even $135. Teams are cutting veterans based on a cap that's not raising as it should. There's PLENTY of $$ for everyone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

don't the players get a percentage of the revenue, not a set number? If so, how can the cap remain stagnant? Is the league revenue stagnant?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Cindrich is in no way stating there should not be a salary cap. What he's saying is the cap isn't raising as it should to be in line with the ever increasing revenues. He's saying players are getting squeezed out because the cap is stagnate.

The NFL revenues have gone from $8.5 Billion in 2009 to $9.7 Billion in 2012 and with new TV deals coming in 2104, that number will only continue to rise. But the cap is not getting any real benefit from this increase.
    Cap:
    2009 - $123M
    2010 - uncapped (working out CB deal - Dallas and Washington lost many millions for being shady with front loaded deals this season)
    2011 - $120.3
    2012 - $120.6
    2013 - $123.9

There's no reason the cap couldn't be $130 this year. Or even $135. Teams are cutting veterans based on a cap that's not raising as it should. There's PLENTY of $$ for everyone.
    The new and increased TV revenue doesn't kick in until 2014. So from a TV revenue perspective revenue is flat. Plus the owners are surely building their war chest of funds to deal with ex-players making their money grab over injuries and concussions that they were seemingly totally unaware could happen playing football.