Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers insider: NFL feeling effects of owners’ labor win

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree, but I would modify the salary cap to allow one "veteran exemption" where you can exempt all or part of the salary of a player who has been on the roster for 5 years from the cap. The reality is that teams with a franchise QB are effectively punished at a disprpotionate level because of the salary of these players.
    Teams aren't punished for having a franchise QB...... LOL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Cindrich is in no way stating there should not be a salary cap. What he's saying is the cap isn't raising as it should to be in line with the ever increasing revenues. He's saying players are getting squeezed out because the cap is stagnate.

The NFL revenues have gone from $8.5 Billion in 2009 to $9.7 Billion in 2012 and with new TV deals coming in 2104, that number will only continue to rise. But the cap is not getting any real benefit from this increase.
    Cap:
    2009 - $123M
    2010 - uncapped (working out CB deal - Dallas and Washington lost many millions for being shady with front loaded deals this season)
    2011 - $120.3
    2012 - $120.6
    2013 - $123.9

There's no reason the cap couldn't be $130 this year. Or even $135. Teams are cutting veterans based on a cap that's not raising as it should. There's PLENTY of $$ for everyone.
    Maybe true, but the NFL isn't some isolated, monopolistic, hoarder. This is no different than many Fortune 100 companies that are overflowing with cash while employees are barely staying even with inflation. Is it right? maybe not, but the oft heard cliche 'the door is always open for exit' applies equally in the NFL as it does elsewhere.
    I actually believe the massive lawsuits the NFL is dealing with has been weighing on their business decisions. They could potentially be paying out $100Ms for players that are not even playing the game today! If I owned a business, I certainly would be worried.