Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Position WILL the Steelers select @ 17

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree with Ovi on this, this is an issue that needs to be addressed.
    Not sure if you mean more defensive players need to start earlier or we should draft an offensive player who can start right away. lol!
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Not sure if you mean more defensive players need to start earlier or we should draft an offensive player who can start right away. lol!
    I was referring to the fact that guys have played football for their entire lives and can be as good as Troy Polamalu, but still are unable to start their rookie year because the defense is too complicated to learn.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was referring to the fact that guys have played football for their entire lives and can be as good as Troy Polamalu, but still are unable to start their rookie year because the defense is too complicated to learn.
    Yes, that is very frustrating. Especially picking at 17, if we stay there. It would be nice to see a defensive rookie come in and make an immediate impact. I would think NT and CB would be the two positions where you could see a rookie starter in a complicated system.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

BS. That's a copout for a lazy DC.

Rookies didn't have problems playing for Dom Capers and Tim Lewis, nor Jim Haslett when they ran the same defense.

If the DC's too old to put in the work? It's time to retire and get someone in here who will.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    BS. That's a copout for a lazy DC.
    I wasn't complimenting LeBeau with my statement...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Every Team’s Top Target in the 2013 NFL Draft

by Gil Alcaraz IV

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Barkevious Mingo

The Steelers are in need of some youth on their defense as James Harrison appears to be on his way out of the Steel City. While they have some talent along the front seven, they’re in need of some extra athleticism and Mingo brings a boatload of that to the table. If there’s one team that can find a way to get the most out of Mingo’s talents, it’s Pittsburgh.

[URL]http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/01/26/every-teams-top-target-in-the-2013-nfl-draft/?OxeI4rtfWJgj81rR.99[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Hahahahahahaha......

Yeah, in 2016.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Hahahahahahaha......

Yeah, in 2016.
    which is why I always cheer for an offensive player to get drafted in the first round, he might actually have a chance to start next year instead of languishing on the bench until he understands the defense.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

which is why I always cheer for an offensive player to get drafted in the first round, he might actually have a chance to start next year instead of languishing on the bench until he understands the defense.
    This is a prime year for a defensive player to become a starter right out of the gate. A nose tackle (has to beat out McClendon or the Ta'amu), OLB (would have to be better than Worilds), ILB (has to be better than Foote) or corner (that can play nickle to start, has to be better than Gay). None of that is out of the question, IMO. I don't have great faith that McClendon, Ta'amu, Worilds, Foote or Gay will be better than a rookie coming with high college pedigree. One or potentially two defensive players could see the field a lot, IMO.

You could throw in a 3-4 DE as well, not certain that Hood can hold on to the starting job if a DE is drafted in any of the first three rounds.

The most difficult position would be OLB, Worilds appears to have what it takes except he does seem to be injured often. The rest as far as I'm concerned don't have anything locked up as far as starting is concerned and a prime draft pick (rounds 1-3) could step in right away.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Needs in order most important to least, IMO: ILB, OLB WR, NT, RB, S, CB, TE
    That being said, it could be any of those positions, depending on who's on the board. I don't think you reach for any of them. While the team doesn't currently have stars at all those positions, they have sufficient coverage for all of them if you find a gem at one of the others.

If it were me, I'd take Kevin Minter and not even blink... he was the best player on a defense with many NFL caliber players - and that says a lot.

I don't care what "projections" say, we're offering our own scouting and opinions, right? When their time comes up, he'll be the best player on the board, IMO
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington